advertisement

Nait

From all the Nait's I had in the past (Nait 1, 2, 3r, 5i, 5i-2, XS, SN1) I found the Nait 1 and 2 the most engaging/involving.

About a month ago (wasn't looking for one) suddenly an absolute mint CB Nait-2 came on my path. As the price was "fair" (€700,- ) I decided to go for it. Although I was (and still am) very happy with my Rega IO, I just coudn't resist the Nait calling for me. ;)

Now, it may not have been a completely fair comparison with the Naim being almost 35 years old, and in need for a recap, but... to my big surprise I preferred the little Rega IO! I did not expect that to happen!

A recap would cost me an extra (close to) € 500,- (including p&p) bringing the total price to more than double that of a new Rega IO! :eek:
Not sure if/in what way a recap would make the Nait sound better, I decided to sell the Nait about 2 weeks later, with hardly any loss.

All things considered (price of both the amp + recap, DIN connections (therefor extra costs for rca-DIN ic's), the 'mandatory' and stiff as bamboo Naca5 ls-cable, the typical low-level channel imbalance and finally the lack or remote), to me this classic Naim amp has lost some of its charm/'magic.'

I think if I wanted to get (back) into Naim, a s/h Nait 5i-2 would be a safe bet. They're more affordable than the Nait 2, no need to use Naim's own Naca5 ls-cable, both DIN + rca inputs, a remote and more power. (and although the 5i(-2) will probably also benefit from a recap, being around >10 years old now, it won't be as much in need for it, compared to the >30 year old shoe Nait's.

From all the Nait's I had in the past (Nait 1, 2, 3r, 5i, 5i-2, XS, SN1) I found the Nait 1 and 2 the most engaging/involving.

About a month ago (wasn't looking for one) suddenly an absolute mint CB Nait-2 came on my path. As the price was "fair" (€700,- ) I decided to go for it. Although I was (and still am) very happy with my Rega IO, I just coudn't resist the Nait calling for me. ;)

All things considered (price of both the amp + recap, DIN connections (therefor extra costs for rca-DIN ic's), the 'mandatory' and stiff as bamboo Naca5 ls-cable, the typical low-level channel imbalance and finally the lack or remote), to me this classic Naim amp has lost some of its charm/'magic.'

I think if I wanted to get (back) into Naim, a s/h Nait 5i-2 would be a safe bet. They're more affordable than the Nait 2, no need to use Naim's own Naca5 ls-cable, both DIN + rca inputs, a remote and more power. (and although the 5i(-2) will probably also benefit from a recap, being around >10 years old now, it won't be as much in need for it, compared to the >30 year old shoe Nait's.
You don't need to use NACA 5, you can use NACA 4, which was used at the time, or the identical (as in same manufacturer, BICC cables) and generally cheaper Linn LK20.

You don't need to use NACA 5, you can use NACA 4, which was used at the time, or the identical (as in same manufacturer, BICC cables) and generally cheaper Linn LK20.
That's true Steve, and from what I recall Naca4 was more flexible, which is a nice bonus, but I've rarely seen Naca5 offered on the s/h market.
The Linn LK20 might indeed be more appealing then, for first time Nait 1 or 2 buyers. :)

The Linn LK20 might indeed be more appealing then, for first time Nait 1 or 2 buyers. :)
Always assuming you can get over the fact that it has the wrong label, and even worse, you could be using it *the wrong way round*.

.. to my big surprise I preferred the little Rega IO! I did not expect that to happen!

I don't find it very surprising at all.

There is nothing magical about the components or design of the Nait. It's a simple, well designed small amplifier made with quality parts. Mostly, let's not talk about the speaker sockets. It's not like the industry has forgotten circuit design in the last forty years and if anything the understanding will have increased. Rega are devoted to providing great value and have a lot of talent so it's no surprise to me that they can build a really good sounding little amp. Ok, the Nait looks a lot better but I'll take double the power over that I think.

You don't need to use NAC A5 cable with old Naim amps. Any reasonably thick multi-strand copper cable will be fine.

Reactions: x21
I don't find it very surprising at all.

There is nothing magical about the components or design of the Nait. It's a simple, well designed small amplifier made with quality parts. Mostly, let's not talk about the speaker sockets. It's not like the industry has forgotten circuit design in the last forty years and if anything the understanding will have increased. Rega are devoted to providing great value and have a lot of talent so it's no surprise to me that they can build a really good sounding little amp. Ok, the Nait looks a lot better but I'll take double the power over that I think.

You don't need to use NAC A5 cable with old Naim amps. Any reasonably thick multi-strand copper cable will be fine.
Given the incredible advances in electronics over the last 40 years I am amazed that the so-called hifi industry has evolved so little. If cars had developed so little we would still have carburettors and contact breaker points with mechanical advance-retard adjustment controlled by rotating weights.

Given the incredible advances in electronics over the last 40 years I am amazed that the so-called hifi industry has evolved so little.

It has changed a lot, just in different ways. Look at digital music, that stuff didn't even exist forty years ago. But an amplifier is a simple device and the basics of that haven't changed much.

The reason why I was surprised to prefer the IO, was that about 10 years ago I had both a Rega Brio-r and a CB Nait-2, and definitely prefered the Nait.

The Nait 1 and 2's speakers sockets are pretty poor indeed. (also the recessed phono input, which didn't handle some slightly thicker rca-plugs very well)

It has changed a lot, just in different ways. Look at digital music, that stuff didn't even exist forty years ago. But an amplifier is a simple device and the basics of that haven't changed much.
That's what I mean. A carb is a simple device, so is a distributor. A modern day ECU does the same job a million times better, even if carbs and points still work. The modern stuff has replaced the crude older stuff and offers better performance for next to nothing. Amplifiers should do the same.

That's what I mean. A carb is a simple device, so is a distributor. A modern day ECU does the same job a million times better, even if carbs and points still work. The modern stuff has replaced the crude older stuff and offers better performance for next to nothing. Amplifiers should do the same.
The transistor/valve replaced the horn which is more like the carb to ECU you mentioned, So what will they replace the transistors in a modern ECU with?

Pete

The old Nytech, the 252, also sounds better IMO and when you can find them they are cheap. However they are all about 40 years old and need servicing. They are also cheaply assembled in a poor case and unreliable, they weren't great when they were new and 40 years won't have done anything to improve that. The ideal solution would be to devise a new case and rebuild it, but that's a lot of work. That's more or less what the new manufacturers are doing, I actually supplied one of the add-on power amps and XO to them so they could examine the circuit and layout. I have another at home, dead on one channel of course, that needs similar treatment.
Or just buy an Ion Obelisk which is basically just that, an updated Nytech 252 in a better case, or if you want an even more up to date improvement go for a Heed Obelisk instead.
I have an Ion Obelisk 3 & it's a superb little amp although I've never heard a Nait 1,2 or 3 so don't know how they compare sonically.

TS

Or just buy an Ion Obelisk which is basically just that, an updated Nytech 252 in a better case, or if you want an even more up to date improvement go for a Heed Obelisk instead.
I have an Ion Obelisk 3 & it's a superb little amp although I've never heard a Nait 1,2 or 3 so don't know how they compare sonically.

TS
Is it? I didn't know that.

The transistor/valve replaced the horn which is more like the carb to ECU you mentioned, So what will they replace the transistors in a modern ECU with?

Pete
It's the transition from discrete trannies to IC trannies that interests me. Shorter signal length, no need for a PCB picking up EMR, etc.

How do you do that? Use integrated chips instead for which then becomes a standard sound a bit like digital since its all mostly chip technology. As an aside to that some amplifiers have become digital.

How do you do that? Use integrated chips instead for which then becomes a standard sound a bit like digital since its all mostly chip technology. As an aside to that some amplifiers have become digital.
Exactly that. We can now design and manufacture entire circuits all installed on the same IC that will walk on water compared to anythig that can be screwed together on a PCB. Just like the chip based amps. But let's not pretend that the amplifier cannot progress from 1967. Or 1977. Or 1987.

advertisement

Back