advertisement

Naim that tune...

In my very short experience of a 272, I found it detailed, but sucked the life out of the music and very 2D sounding. Thought the Internet radio was a handy feature though. Maybe a power supply might have turned it into a different beast

Hi Chris,

Might as well put my thoughts into the mix.

I have a Naim 12s (dual/split railed) I use a Hicap then into a CB 250. Some say the 12s is one of the better pre amps Naim ever made, it certainly is better than a 32.5 by some way.

I use Linn K20 and Naim interconnects my sources are an LP12/Ittok/Karma and a Linn Majik Streamer into Shahinian Super Elfs when using the Naim system, sometimes the Linn Saras if I want the walls to shake.

I have other pre and amps, a full Linn system including Akurate 212 speakers and Linn Saras, I also have the full Quad valve Classic II with QC24 pre amp.

Each system has different things that it brings to the listening experience.

The Naim has a forward quick sound the image does not have the depth the Quads have, however on some types of music it rocks, which is why I keep it.

The complete Linn system is fast and dynamic with images you could almost touch, much faster than the Naim, the leading edges are so easy to make out, the image is a bit flat so not 3D like some systems give, but again on certain types of music it sounds amazing, I use Audioquest Mackenzie interconnects and Kimber 8TC with the Linn system.

The Quad valve set up into Shahinian Super Elf's is not that fast, it is nice and easy, quite stunning 3D image, nice on simple stuff, but it won't make Pink Floyd rock the room however on female vocals it is stunning the emotion it brings is better than the other two systems I have, I use Mogami cable for both the interconnects and speaker cable and Eichmann plugs for the interconnects and speaker cable.

I used to have Shahinian Arcs but they are on long term loan so will get another pair of Shahinian speakers again, soon I hope.

I have used the Linn Majik DSi integrated, all in one streamer, pre and amp, if I was starting new I would buy one, yes second hand, they are great, the new Linn Majik integrated I would not buy.

Basically the type of music you mostly play will make a difference to what HiFi will sound good to your ears, so if you have a system that sounds fine on most things you listen to, don't change, play more music.

The 72 has a sound that is slightly different to the other Naim pre amps, some prefer them, maybe you fall into those that do not, changing the power supply or pulling boards will not change it's basic sound signature.

The biggest change you can make to any HiFi after getting your room right is speakers, try and listen to some Shahinian, you might be very surprised.

All the best on your quest.

Cheers

John

Hi John.

Your comments about the 12 ring so true with me as a teenage I went up the Naim ladder starting with a Nait - LP12 ( LVX ) - K9 - Kans system.
Then 42 - Hicap 110 (Ittok - Karma ) and the Kans.
It was only when the 42 went back to the factory for 42.5 mods and lent a 12 from my friendly dealer.
I was like this 12 is great loving the h f sparkle about it was just so right....and better than my 42 !!
Getting the 42.5 back I was so underwhelmed it was almost a step back.I got a 250 and it all sounded ok
I had heard the 32.5 Hicap in loads of other Naim systems and liked it but a friend worked in London Naim dealers The Cornflake Shop and recommended Bryston a new brand on UK shores and lent me a 0.5 -2B
combination which sounded brilliant almost like my memory of the 12.
So I sold all the Naim and still have the Bryston gear and a 12B preamp as well as the 0.5 .
Pleased I did as it got me off the Naim upgrade ladder.
But that 12 was something special and looking back should have trusted my ears and brought it for £100 from the dealer instead....so moral of my story on the 12 is trust your own ears.
I can imagine your system sounds lovely with the 12 in it.

Last edited:
... given the work undertaken on my Flatcap - it now contains his regulator upgrade so the only Naim bits left are the case and transformer.

If I understood your earlier post correctly and all that is left of the NAC72 after the upgrades is the case and PSU, then my point is that it's not a NAC72.
Therefore comments about the sound of NAC72 are not relevant to your situation.

The Flatcap was heavily modified, not the NAC72. It just says the 72 was serviced.

But that 12 was something special and looking back should have trusted my ears and brought it for £100 from the dealer instead....so moral of my story on the 12 is trust your own ears.
I can imagine your system sounds lovely with the 12 in it.
After the Naits 1 and 2, the 12 is still the most coherent Naim amp I've yet to hear. Just makes great sense of the music to me. Never heard a 52 or 552 though. Personally I find it best balanced with a bolt down 160 but I've had it sounding great with a 110 in the right room/setup.

Heard modern Bryston at a hifi show in the pmc room and really enjoyed it.

Naim vs Bryston...........
To me, a Naim NAC 12 or 32.5 paired with a 160 BD is simply lovely, very musical so if you want to listen to music all day long, go for these, no need to read the rest.
I also have a NAP 110 that I hook to my 32.5 sometimes and this little box is simply amazing in terms of foot taping and makes you want to dance.
As for the the Bryston, compared to these Naim amps, they always sounded slow, quiet and non involving to me.
A friend of mine is a speaker designer and also an authorized distributor of Bryston and he didn’t know what I meant by involving. One day, I brought my little NAP 110 for a comparison.
We started with some large mono Bryston and I must admit, it was very enjoyable to listen to with a huge deep bass so no complaints.
We then hooked up the little 110, let it play for 5 tunes and I would say it was okay in all honesty.
So my buddy asked me what’s the hype about these chrome bumper shoe box then ?
We just put the song Disco infernal and turned up the volume and bingo, the grove appeared !
I live in Canada so I can have those Bryston amps at a very good price but my ears are telling me I have more fun with Naim.

Emailed them a few days ago, he had them on the shelf and they were ready to dispatch the next day. Seemed pretty good customer service

Kit has certainly been very responsive to my questions and he despatched them quickly once I'd ordered.
Watching them move through the USPS network via the tracking info it is amazing just how many touch points there are.

Technically it's not a Flatcap anymore - 2 Custom Hifi Cables regulator modules were fitted. Made a big (+ve) difference to the sound.
Well, quite. There is so little in a Flatcap that any modifications are basically taking it out and putting something else in! There was a time when they sold for peanuts, a lot were simply reused as cases to replace damaged ones.

Who needs cooling heatsink fins with built in air conditioning....whole unit probably cost £ 30 to make ;)
I find the flatcap really offensive. Naim make some good stuff and if you like the sound, then great. But they just take the mick with this. O level electronics content, regulator circuit straight from the RS applications sheet, don't talk to me about development cost, there is none. This thing sells for £999. A thousand pounds! I'll stop now, I get moaned at here for Naim bashing, but you look inside that £1000 box and say "WTF?"

Steve 100 % agree....but at least it's handmade at the factory something Naim love to play up to....but so is Rega - Sugden.
Visited the Naim factory once on a dealer outing... He even payed for the coach there...hopefully...£££ !...Nice bunch at Naim and fascinating the assembly.
But hearing the DBL's 135's best system at the end of the day,playing Dark Side of The Moon it was torture.Forward and bright like nails going down a blackboard.My mate I went with said on the coach going home is that their best sound you can get... and ditched his Naim gear and went Valve.
Not Naim bashing if you like it etc who cares..

advertisement

Back