advertisement

Naim shoeboxes, where to begin?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I've sort of recreated a classic combo in the form of an LP12>Nait XS>Kans system but the bit that's obviously not classic here is the amp. My pre-cirkus LP12 and mk1 Kans hail from the '80s whereas the amp is only a few years old.

The word out there is placing older Naim pre/power amps between my source and speakers will result in a more musical synergy. I've got space for 3 shoe-sized boxes on my Mana 3-tier, hence the preference for smaller Naim boxes.

My question is, what's the best shoebox-sized Naim setup out there? I know a Nac/Nap 90 is sort of basic and a 72/140 a step up, but is there a piste de resistance in shoebox Naim that will complete my classic combo?

I take it I'd need 3 boxes; pre, power and Power Supply for pre. If that's correct, please let me know which ones are as good as it gets. :)

Go Chrome Bumper.

32.5/HiCap/110

If you go full width the 160 is the star.

All very sweet with a Sondek & Kans.

If you go Olive go 72/HiCap/140.

Forget the 90/92!

Ah, so a 160 is a full width box, that's out unless I forget about a hicap.

Is a 110 greater than a 140?

I just realised a 110 is probably CB whereas a 140 is olive. It just came to me why you said 110, doh!

I take it I'd need 3 boxes; pre, power and Power Supply for pre. If that's correct, please let me know which ones are as good as it gets. :)

32.5/HC/110
all serviced, at least psu/power but will work as they are, what else 25 years stuff will?
murder the XS

To narrow it down, is a CB 32.5/HC/110 better than an olive 72/ HC/140?

They are pretty much similar

CB will have a better psu trafo, late HC/140 won't

I'd take whatever it takes available if possible, in a few years they become collectors item anyway

if you don't get on with them, resell with no loss

To narrow it down, is a CB 32.5/HC/110 better than an olive 72/ HC/140?

Different, I prefer the CB rig. More bounce and boogie.

110 is more airy than 140.

72 can be harsh.

All very good for what they cost.

What spec is the LP12?

I guess the determining factors might be budget and availability. Both sets are old and probably expensive now although selling my Nait and Flatcap XS should raise sufficient funds, I hope!

Different, I prefer the CB rig. More bounce and boogie.

110 is more airy than 140.

72 can be harsh.

All very good for what they cost.

What spec is the LP12?

MY LP12 is Rosenut plinth, pre-cirkus bearing (in mint condition!!!), RB300 with Audio Origami rewire, Denon DL-103 and Avondale PS.

MY LP12 is Rosenut plinth, pre-cirkus bearing (in mint condition!!!), RB300 with Audio Origami rewire, Denon DL-103 and Avondale PS.

Sweet, I had one like that a few months back, very good fun deck, punches way above the sum if its parts.

advertisement

Back