advertisement

Naim shoeboxes, where to begin?

I might be able to help you out...I have a pre power combo as follows. Pre is an NJ mini motherboard with teddy regs using naim slot in cards built into a nac 42 chrome bumper case. This is powered by a specially configured chrome bumper snaps feeding a higher than usual voltage to the pre with the regulation taking place in the pre by the teddy regs. These were built as a pair to go together by mister c of this parish and sound/look fantastic. I also have a nap 110 which has Avondale mini cap 6s installed. Together the amps sound brilliant though I appreciate not naim through and through. I bought the pre and psu combo from Gaius a couple of years ago.

I'd be happy to let you hear them and if you're interested I've got an idea which might appeal...(should say I'm over in fife but in Glasgow regularly).

Guy's above may seem to be excellent stuff and performance, though no longer a Naim amp for sure.
Bet resale value wouldn't come close to original Naim stuff - this is not a verdict but may be fact
He asked for NAIM boxes

Cheers for the pic Gauis, looks good!

Cheers for the realism boegelund; you're correct, modded means no longer Naim.

I appreciate he asked for naim boxes and we've been in touch with each other so he can listen to my kit to see what the OP thinks about the sound. Given the age and variations in quality in some of the older kit (eg serviced or not etc) and that it might be difficult to listen too I thought I'd try help out.

I agree with either 12/160 or 32.5/110 as the combinations to go for.

Curious as to how you're stacking if you can fit a 110 but not a 160 (I wouldn't put pre and power on the same level, I recall it didn't suit the phono boards but Gaius can advise if I'm being moronic there.

FWIW I would caution against buying an unserviced chrome hicap, that was the most disappointing naim sound I've ever heard from that era... I think one is much better off with an alternative power supply (I use modified SNAPS) than an unserviced HICAP.

Also, any unserviced old power amp needs servicing before playing is my new mantra.

I've got the pre on top shelf then an empty shelf then the psu and power amp next to each other. I did make one small modification to the snaps- I put a large on/off knob on so it would match the pre!

I just had a thought Mike, how many inputs are there, do any of the Din inputs have a tape out capability and are any of them phono inputs

@ clamnell, my DAC takes up half of a shelf. That's why I've only got room for 1.5 big boxes or 3 small boxes.

2 din inputs, one rca input and no tape outputs...this may be an issue if you use headphones...

Damn, my headphone amp is connected to my Nait via one of its two Din sockets that have tape out capability. Mmm, that's a bit of a snag.

Naim 'Shoe box' size amps can be summarised as:

Nac 32 and 32.5 pre amps from CB era (top of range until nac 72 in 1989)
Nac 42 and 42.5 'lesser' pre amps from CB era
Nac 62 lesser pre ampfrom olive era (some were made at end of cb era in late 1989)
Nac 72 pre amp in early olive era (top of range from1989 until 1991 nac52 full width pre)

Nap 110 power amp in cb era
Nap 140 power amp in later cb era and olive era
Nap 90 'entry level' power amp at end of cb era, and throughout olive era (became slimline olive after 1993)

Then of course there were the nait 1 (cb era) nait 2 (end of cb era and part olive era)

Hope this helps you somewhat.

I think I'm gonna try to get an olive setup because it seems like both the CB 32.5/HC/110 and Olive 72/HC/140 setups will sound great with my LP12 and Kans and if nothing else, I prefer the olive look; the green lights are hypgnotic!

Now here's a question would a 72/160 be greater than a 72/HC/140? Opting for a 72/160 would still fit in my rack! At the moment it's all theoretical, but hopefully I'll have a classic combo sometime soon, availability notwithstanding.

Thanks to everyone who posted in the thread, I now know about Naim shoeboxes and more besides! :)

p.s. the plinth on my LP12 is rosewood and not rosenut as I said earlier.

I think I'm gonna try to get an olive setup because it seems like both the CB 32.5/HC/110 and Olive 72/HC/140 setups will sound great with my LP12 and Kans and if nothing else, I prefer the olive look; the green lights are hypgnotic!

Now here's a question would a 72/160 be greater than a 72/HC/140? Opting for a 72/160 would still fit in my rack! At the moment it's all theoretical, but hopefully I'll have a classic combo sometime soon, availability notwithstanding.

Thanks to everyone who posted in the thread, I now know about Naim shoeboxes and more besides! :)

p.s. the plinth on my LP12 is rosewood and not rosenut as I said earlier.

The 160 is Chrome bumper only but you will enjoy the green light from the 72.
(some 160 has been converted to 180 and put into olive box, but this is seldom and I wouldn't jump on these)

If you can find a good serviced 160, buy it, thats what I would do, mainly because they are limited available and prices are going one way..up

It is better/more powerfull than 110 but TBH the 72 NEED a HC/separate PSU - there you go - dilemma (usually difference between poweramp are smaller than difference adding a separate PSU to pre)

If you choose a Nap 140 I would recommend an early serviced one before a late non serviced, until 1992/93 these contained a better/different PSU trafo

I... I prefer the olive look; the green lights are hypgnotic!

Now here's a question would a 72/160 be greater than a 72/HC/140? Opting for a 72/160 would still fit in my rack!
You won't get an olive 160. For Kans, a 140 is plenty and a separate Hicap will be better for the 72.

Thanks for the info guys; I wrongly thought a 160 was natively olive. I suppose either will do although if both 32.5 and 72 need a hicap for maximum performance, I'll forget about the 160 and look out for either CB or Olive pre/HC/power combos. :)

Thanks for the info guys; I wrongly thought a 160 was natively olive. I suppose either will do although if both 32.5 and 72 need a hicap for maximum performance, I'll forget about the 160 and look out for either CB or Olive pre/HC/power combos. :)

You would have to pay a lot more in Naims standard range of products to better Mikes modded kit.

Buy a 140 and a 72 and have them tweaked by Avondale or Witch Hat and put an Avondale PS, Teddycap or Hicap on your 72. The combo will sing!

advertisement

Back