advertisement

Naim Nait 50

By the way, I'm not knocking Naim or the Nait 50. I had a Nait, then a Nait 2, then a pile of Naim boxes afterward, but — and this is the contentious issue for me — the original Nait was about providing an affordable entry into the world of Naim amplification.* Honestly, I'm a fully paid up Naimie. I coined the term FEPs and invented and calibrated the FEP scale, a metric still used today to determine if you're cooler than cool.

Joe

* Twenty-something Joe could do that in the 1980s with a Nait, but fifty-something Joe in 2023 would be struggling to justify and afford a Nait 50. If I were Naim I'd make the Nait 50 as a standing product (not limited edition) at half the price to introduce young people to the line. Seriously, go to an audio show and count the number of people you see under 25. If you're thinking long-term survival,...

I just think Naim have missed a trick. A retro inspired shoebox entry level system would be amazing. Sadly I think Naims marketing department are stuck in the 70s. They never replaced any shoebox sized kit after the Qte and NAP100 went. Maybe they didn’t sell as well but judging by the amount of noise on this amp that may not be the case. I feel a missed opportunity to get a new (dare I say younger) audience rather than appealing to diehard Naim converts. As you say we will never know.

I just think Naim have missed a trick.

I don't think they have, I think they know exactly what they are doing.

Back in the day the original Nait was just another high quality British built integrated. Yes, Naim had a lot of kudos even then but most buyers would try it against an Exposure X, Audiolab etc and would buy the Nait on performance. It had to be price competitive.

Naim have reached a near mythical status in the eyes of some buyers now which has allowed them to offer the amp for sale at an inflated price knowing that many will buy it without even hearing it. They've not missed a trick, they have a new trick. It's called no longer having to justify their pricing.

If I were Naim I'd make the Nait 50 as a standing product (not limited edition) at half the price to introduce young people to the line. Seriously, go to an audio show and count the number of people you see under 25. If you're thinking long-term survival,...
There you go again with your sensible posts, Dr P. It’s really not cared for round here. If you could try and and say something a tad more ridiculous it might be of greater benefit to some of our readers.

Tiger,

I was aiming for egregious and preposterous, not ridiculous.

Man, do I suck...

Joe

Thanks, Tiger.

I've been busier than busy at work, and the fam has some serious health issues, so I needed a proper break from the online world of pointless argumentation. But this weekend is the first in ages where I've had some free time. It's a looooooong weekend here because of Queen Victoria — Victoria Day, a holiday named after an angry-looking woman I've never met but have seen in statue form at the local park.

srmeMVw.png

Victoria apparently had a pet lion, who I am quite fond of. I've named him tiger even though he's a lion. :–)

Joe

But this weekend is the first in ages where I've had some free time. It's a looooooong weekend here because of Queen Victoria — Victoria Day, a holiday named after an angry-looking woman I've never met but have seen in statue form at the local park.

by Andy Sunley, on Flickr

There’s one in Liverpool, but the flashing version.

PS Not my pic so I’ve left the credit in. Obviously I knew it existed, everyone who has lived in Liverpool knows. It is something one can not unsee.

Tony,

Is she holding a cartoon bomb with a fuse or a Magic 8 ball?

Joe

I don't see it as butt hurt, more an observation about pricing and a comment about the future of hi-fi. As with many things in life, if the first rung on the ladder is too high people may not step on and climb.

But it's a broader issue than iconic hi-fi. The same can be said about the price of higher education, housing, food,...

OxVF6fr.jpg

Food inflation is certainly back with a vengeance!

Joe

I don't see it as butt hurt, more an observation about pricing and a comment about the future of hi-fi. As with many things in life, if the first rung on the ladder is too high people may not step on and climb.

But it's a broader issue than iconic hi-fi. The same can be said about the price of higher education, housing, food,...

OxVF6fr.jpg

Food inflation is certainly back with a vengeance!

Joe

somebody likes mangos

advertisement

Back