advertisement

Naga Munchetty reprimanded by the BBC

It seems the 'BBC Complaints Department' have got it wrong.
Where do I send my complaint to?

Secondly it's not like she was reading the news: this was one of those let's-have-a-chat-about-world-events segments, when her co-host explicitly asked her to say as a black woman what she felt about all of this, and what her judgement was. It's entirely appropriate to the format and if it weren't then surely her (white, male) co-host should have been reprimanded too.

spot on.

Perhaps the bigger story is how the USA the all powerful know all's of the world can allow a fifth rate president to utter such comments.
Naga was perfectly correct in all that she said, should she say that perhaps Hitler was "alleged" to have created extermination camps.....no its a fact that he did and Trump is a racist,fact.

For balance can I say that although she has stated affinity with my football team, her voice grates on me.

I can recommend Michael Moore’s film on how Trump was elected, Fahrenheit 11-9, if anybody has not seen it. The poisoning of Flint is particularly disturbing and made me consider at what point should the ballot box be replaced by pitch forks and lanterns as the correct means to bring about social change.

I can recommend Michael Moore’s film on how Trump was elected, Fahrenheit 11-9, if anybody has not seen it. The poisoning of Flint is particularly disturbing and made me consider at what point should the ballot box be replaced by pitch forks and lanterns as the correct means to bring about social change.

it is indeed a very good film.

The bbc have ballsed this up utterly. It's not a binary choice, yes no.

As a newsreader she should simply have said to the other presenter that bbc guidelines prohibit her from expressing an opinion on racist statements made by the trump. Which is exactly why the guidelines are there.

Then they could have done a lovely investigative piece on what a massive racist t_at he is.

She may be right but you have to relive this is the BBC. When a presenter mentions the name of a product like Mars bars for example they always say there are other items of confectionery out there. Like we are unaware so state the bleeding obvious. So what would you expect from what's probably a group of older middle class white people that are overpaid and completely ignorant of the real world.

"Trump is a racist" (other racists are available, but not in charge of the most powerful country in the world.)

That ought to do it...

Secondly it's not like she was reading the news: this was one of those let's-have-a-chat-about-world-events segments, when her co-host explicitly asked her to say as a black woman what she felt about all of this, and what her judgement was. It's entirely appropriate to the format and if it weren't then surely her (white, male) co-host should have been reprimanded too.

The Guardian claims to have sight of the original complaint and that it included Dan Walker as well, something that for some reason the BBC chose not to publicise.

Apart from that, here we have the spectacle of a white male BBC executive lecturing a BAME presenter about how to deal with the subject of racist attacks towards BAME people. I mean, for the BBC the optics just look terrible.

Seems that the co host was referred to in the complaint as well and yet was not investigated?

Oops, mentioned above :)

IME, having spent 3 years dealing with complaints in a conceptually similar service, there is a greater concentration of cockwomble types among those likely to submit complaints than in the general public as a whole. Many complaints can convincingly be read in that adenoidal EL Wisty voice of Peter Cook...

IME, having spent 3 years dealing with complaints in a conceptually similar service, there is a greater concentration of cockwomble types among those likely to submit complaints than in the general public as a whole. Many complaints can convincingly be read in that adenoidal EL Wisty voice of Peter Cook...
Oi! I resemble that remark!! Complained to the BBC twice and got nowhere even though (in my view) the conduct I complained about was much worse than stating the bleedin' obvious fact that Trump is a racist.

I'm not a fan of either of the two as it seems like a lightweight way to present the news and often becomes painfully glib.

Comment and satire are best left to Have I Got News fo You or other late night formats.

I do think, though, that she was cornered by the more culpable Walker, too inclined to digress, and no complaint should have been made against her in this instance. She only answered his questions honestly.

Oi! I resemble that remark!! Complained to the BBC twice and got nowhere even though (in my view) the conduct I complained about was much worse than stating the bleedin' obvious fact that Trump is a racist.
Ha! There are plenty of non cockwomble types, of course, and many many valid complaints. Shall we say, perhaps, that it’s just that the busybody/cockwomble demographic is more than adequately represented in the corpus of complaints received by most formal complaints-handling bodies?

advertisement

Back