advertisement

My New Toy

I heard the Bardo at the Whittlebury show in 2011 - stunning sound, though through a top-end Stax headphone rig, not sure about the phono stage.

Looking forward to pics of your full set-up.

Thanks Chris, I'll do some pics fairly soon and post; Stax do make the best cans don't they, a superb combination.

I heard the Bardo at the Whittlebury show in 2011 - stunning sound, though through a top-end Stax headphone rig, not sure about the phono stage.

Looking forward to pics of your full set-up.

Said turntable, courtesy of my camera :)

TTX.jpg

Andrew

because he and theoracle or lotus or whatever his name is enjoy the perceived power they get from lording their kit and its price over the members that care about that stuff. it is human nature, showing off toys, money, etc. a tradition old as human existence.

not saying anything bad about them, but that's the reason..and a lot of people are impressed by money and material things. those people are the intended audience.

i do similar things with my handguns and crossbows, guitars, etc.

Hi Teddy. Did you see my new £20,000 preamp in the system pics thread ? :)

Sounds pretty good I can tell you.

Hi Teddy. Did you see my new £20,000 preamp in the system pics thread ? :)

Sounds pretty good I can tell you.

Now - lotus340r,

That's was mean of you.

But you go ahead with yo bad self - if you've it?, spent it. As we only live once, why not?.

Cheers,
o_O scar

Gaius--

Can you share with us how the Brinkmann sounds, e.g. in comparison to say the LP12, Garrard and other tables?

Beautiful looking table BTW...

Thanks.

Gaius--

Can you share with us how the Brinkmann sounds, e.g. in comparison to say the LP12, Garrard and other tables?

Beautiful looking table BTW...

Thanks.

Thanks hockman, it really is something, the build and finish are exemplary.

I will do a proper write up and post it but suffice to say i was playing it last night and ended up in the wee small hours, the thing is very addictive; it also plays everything, no only Rickie Lee Jones and Steely Dan, good as both are.

Last night I was taken with the lucidity, the flow of the music, it's very liquid and the sound is massive with no hash or background noise.

Everything just sounds as you imagine it should do, it doesn't seem to put a foot wrong. It's not good at this but not so good at that, it just plays music so well you forget about it.

You don't sit there listening to what this or that upgrade brings or takes away, you just play another record.

It is also an absolute joy to use and maintenance free, it will not go off, need a service, it will sound like this forever.

Might eat a few cartridges mind!

To be honest John over the last twelve months I've had virtually every incarnation of the LP12 round here from full SE/Radikal/Keel to modest Ittok/Valhalla with Lingo 2 and Naim Armageddon in between.

I've also spent time with the ARO, Ittok,RubiKon and Khan.

For value and perhaps the best all rounder was Khan/Cirkus/Rubikon/Lingo 2/Ittok.

After that point the player gets very expensive and it is prudent to be open to alternatives.

The Brinkmann is in a different league all together, and costs a lot less than the big Linn.

OK - which dealers in London/Surrey sell Brinkmann. I'm in the mood to hear one (but might regret it!). I think my LP12/silver wired Ittok/DV20X/Cirkus/Lingo2/Greenstreet is pretty damn good!

Brinkmann Bardot; the best record player I've heard.

Gaius, curious as to what other players you listened to other than the Linn in making your decision. I've never heard the Brinkmann, but ended up very happy with my new toy, which is the Notts Analogue Dais. Linn dealers have told me that NA turntables are "all detail and no music", but that's not what I hear at all.

Gaius, curious as to what other players you listened to other than the Linn in making your decision. I've never heard the Brinkmann, but ended up very happy with my new toy, which is the Notts Analogue Dais. Linn dealers have told me that NA turntables are "all detail and no music", but that's not what I hear at all.

I'm not surprised to hear that.

Over the years Roxan Xerxes/Xerxes20, Gyrodek/Orbe, Spacedeks, Avid, SME 30, I'm sure there are more.

So having lived with the Bardo for a couple of weeks, how would you describe the shortcomings it makes evident in the performance of the LP12 in its various forms?

What are the specific areas in which it offers a genuine improvement?

Do you get on well with your Brinkmann, then Darth? Anything else Walrus sells you would recommend?

In the end I didn't by the LaGrange setup as SWMBO didn't like the look. Still have the Brinkmann Fein though. You can visit the Walrus site ( I posted a link) and see the range that they supply. But always give them a bell as their site is rubbish.

I now have an outstanding vinyl rig that I eventually got SWMBO to accept - she just loves how it portrays the music. Things like "I never heard that before" and that from next room!

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back