advertisement

My New Toy

Just had a look at the Brinkmann web site, didn't know they'd done things proplerly and developed their own direct drive motor. Props!

Have you tried a top-spec (I mean Rad/Keel/Khan of course) with my kleat tweak?

Yes, I've heard them all.

The Brinkmann is in a different place.

In fairness I've not heard the Kleat :D and it's not to say the LP12 isn't a nice player.

:eek:

Any spec?

Yes. Next time you are in the smoke arrange a demo of any Brinkmann deck/arm/cart with Walrus - give them a bell first.

And next time you can get an opportunity to visit me again come and listen to my vinyl rig that doesn't need any maintenance well at least not for 20 years or so when by then I'll be at that great gig in the sky.

BTW my phono stage is Brinkmann.

Cheers,

DV

Quite a revelation really and a very nice one.

Congrats.

I will be accused of shilling/bias/dishonesty when I say I have yet to hear a deck I prefer to mine.

Subjective of course; a WTA and Phonosophie P3 were damn close. I could have happily lived with either.

Yes. Next time you are in the smoke arrange a demo of any Brinkmann deck/arm/cart with Walrus - give them a bell first.

And next time you can get an opportunity to visit me again come and listen to my vinyl rig that doesn't need any maintenance well at least not for 20 years or so when by then I'll be at that great gig in the sky.

BTW my phono stage is Brinkmann.

Cheers,

DV

I may arrange to take my deck down there, if they will have me.

Congrats.

I will be accused of shilling/bias/dishonesty when I say I have yet to hear a deck I prefer to mine.

Subjective of course; a WTA and Phonosophie P3 were damn close. I could have happily lived with either.

No accusations from me; if you're happy with your LP12 and it's a nice spec for sure, then all is good.

:)

Yes, we had an early fifties Decca unit where you had to remove the turntable platter and reverse the pulley on the motor shaft to change from 33 to 78 - 45 wasn`t an option until a cheap Collaro 4 speed unit was "found". Crystal turnover pickup into an ECL82 PP amp hidden in the bottom of a Bush 9 inch console TV.
Started me on a love of classical music though.

I think ours was more modern than that! Here is the one we had http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bsr_monarch_ua8ua.html

The tracking weight was adjusted by a spring in the pickup as we called a tone arm and cart then. There were several tension holes but I also stretched the spring to get a finer adjustment. The turnover cart was a high output crystal if I remember correctly. The two styli were attached to the cart by screws!

The original gram had a simple class A output stage and I can't for the life of me remember the valves but one day my dad came home with a Williamson amplifier and boy did that make a difference. I've been on the Hi Fi trail ever since and only reached what I was looking for a year ago when I was 67!

With apologies to the OP.

Cheers,

DV

I may arrange to take my deck down there, if they will have me.

They are a great bunch at Walrus and very enthusiastic. Start by giving them a bell and start some rapport. You'll then be made welcome.

The LP12 is capable of very good performance indeed but its old design rather limits how far it can go. You really do need to hear what a more modern design/technology can achieve for a similar price of the top end LP12.

I like the fact that my deck never needs any adjustment nor parts replaced unless I buggit up. Not even any oil in the bearings.......... If I move the deck the only adjustment is to level it by screwing the feet.

And and this is a biggy.....its silent. When I first had it I kept getting up thinking there was a problem with the amps. No noise in the grooves......

The performance is way beyond what I thought could ever be achieved from vinyl and competes well against my Weiss DAC.

Cheers,

DV

Why do a lot of your posts refer to price tickets on your kit ?

because he and theoracle or lotus or whatever his name is enjoy the perceived power they get from lording their kit and its price over the members that care about that stuff. it is human nature, showing off toys, money, etc. a tradition old as human existence.

not saying anything bad about them, but that's the reason..and a lot of people are impressed by money and material things. those people are the intended audience.

i do similar things with my handguns and crossbows, guitars, etc.

Yes, I've heard them all.

The Brinkmann is in a different place.

In fairness I've not heard the Kleat :D

Try a kleat. You might be surprised. It makes a Sondek play tunes... ...in tune. The higher the spec, the more of an improvement it is. You need to get the tension just right, but it's quite easy.

Derek's been promising me a listen to a Bardo for years. I'm still looking forward to it.

What speakers, amp & phono do you use with the Brinkmann?

It's a very front end loaded system at the moment.

Phono stage is a Trilogy 907, speakers are the new KEF LS50s and the amp is a Sugden A21a integrated.

The speakers and amps came about by accident when I heard them playing at a couple of dealers and was quite enchanted.

I also have some Chrome Bumper Naim around but will probably end up with Jeff Rowland amps.

At present though it sounds very sweet indeed, the star being the Brinkmann and a strong statement of the source first approach, or garbage in garbage out as some would say.

Fantastic! That's my laugh out loud moment of the day. Well done that man! Google it for those in the dark...

I had one, my first TT when I was about 7-8 years old, horrid thing!
They can be upgraded, just look at cool dude Clem's tips on YouTube.

I heard the Bardo at the Whittlebury show in 2011 - stunning sound, though through a top-end Stax headphone rig, not sure about the phono stage.

Looking forward to pics of your full set-up.

advertisement

Back