advertisement

My New Car (warning more Porsche content)

Why are you asking when you’ve already stated above the answer that suits you?

I don’t pretend to know Simon all that well but I’d hazard a guess that his motivation comes from genuine excitement about his new toy, and a simple desire to share this with others who might also appreciate pictures of a lovely car.

All I'm asking is why is it so hard for people to cop to their motivations? I don't give a rat about his car. If he's happy that's great, really. My only angle is fascination with people denying at least a part of their motivation for doing something while doing it. I would appreciate something closer to what you wrote earlier once in awhile, something that amounted to 'drink this in, suckers!' It's the facade that bugs.

Thinking about the deal you have G&T it could be one of your best.....surely this Targa has taken its most hurtful hit already which someone else has paid for. I think the deal could be very shrewd indeed as I can't see you losing much on this at all now.

As for track days - if people want to relive their youth, fine, but don't pretend zooming round a track is any more than denying middle age. Same goes for Porsches, anyone found a graph showing relative ages and wealth of Porsche buyers?

The only thing it has to do with age is purchasing power, you generally start earning higher money when you are older and then only have the disposable income once the kids (if you have them) have left home and the mortgage is paid off.

I could never afford track days or sports cars when I was younger so it would have nothing to do with reliving my youth as I never experienced it in the first place.

Also what is wrong with denying or having fun in middle age, are you suggesting that people should be dull and boring when they reach a certain age?

Pleased to see you're visiting the best part of the UK Mr G&T. If you happen to pass near Stowmarket you'd be very welcome to pop in for tea and cake, then I can cover your lovely new car with a layer of slobbery drool. I'm sure my pal Mr Lockhart, who loves close by, would also enjoy popping round with his own copious dribble supply to hand. An attractive, irresistible proposition for you!

interestingly the last two ports of call are Southwold and then Lavenham, and I note Google maps suggests a route straight through Stowmarket.

interestingly the last two ports of call are Southwold and then Lavenham, and I note Google maps suggests a route straight through Stowmarket.

I think us two Tonys would advise avoiding Stowmarket ;) Lots of very nice country roads around here.

Fine, if you are correct, and you’re happy with pointless fast cars on the road that are entirely impractical and designed purely as status symbols, so be it. I say pointless because there’ s barely a country in the world that doesn’t have speed limits, so, were Porsche drivers to stick by the law, would mean even my car could keep up with them.

There’s no getting round it, cars like Porsche are designed for buyers to show off the wealth of the owner. They are not alone in that, obviously. I’m not going to comment on your last sentence as it is on the same level as the leavers during the Brexit campaign.

By the way, there is one major plus for Porsches. As the witnesses all said when my van was hit by one going through a red light, at least I knew he could afford to pay the damage.

Hmm, if I easily took offence, that sort of opinion might invoke it.

I had my Cayman for just under two years. I’d hoped to keep it longer, but other life priorities meant it had to go sooner.

While I had it, it was a weekend car, and I got the train to work. Made the experience rather environmentally friendly.

It was the most wonderful thing to drive, look at and to simply be in. I could not care one jot whether other folk thought I was cool or looked a twat in it (naturally most would have been in the second camp). Sure, I enjoyed sharing my joy, but that would simply be with other like minded folk - and there are a few of those here I’m glad to say.

GT - beautiful car, enjoy.

I've never learnt to drive for several reasons.

But my non-driving status :);) doesn't stop me at all from finding pleasure in what other people find pleasurable, joyous, beautiful .....

GT - your car is imo, an object of beauty; long may you enjoy owning and driving it:)

Cayman 987.2 (bought June 2018). Just a fantastic thing to drive, PDK gearbox is amazing.

Great little car, I drove the 4 cylinder at Silverstone and was impressed, the balance felt perfect and the seat adjustments made it fit like a glove.

Not sure about the public perception; I've only had positive comments; got back to the 928 one night on Colchester High Street and someone had written "Cool Car" in the mud on the door.

Looks beautiful GT, enjoy it. Here's a challenge - try taking a photo of the new Porsche with Ziggy and Marley also in the shot.

Parked just outside my house yesterday morning was a brand-new Targa such as @gintonic is waiting-on.

I have to say - and as one who loves 911s esp their early many variants - it's a really lovely re-imagining; this example was black, with tan interior, and up close the word I 'd use - to my surprise - is ...pretty. A very welcome return to form for modern 911s. Beautifully proportioned, and detailed; and yes I'd really like one.

I do hope GT enjoys his when it arrives - but can't really see how one could not...

Strictly speaking, isn’t it a boxer, not a flat engine?

Matters not, sound gorgeous, miss mine.

Not a boxer but flat engine
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/jalo...fference-between-boxer-engines-1825246413/amp

Both horizontally opposed cylinder banks. I think the difference is in the firing order and crankshaft pins.

174DB42F-45A1-4F30-A82B-0CD905E2F7AA_zpsp0cs63sy.png

+1, it's the 180-degree offset crankpin per cyl that makes the difference.
Invented by Frederic W Lanchester iirc, who, before WW1, had come-up with ideas (and many patents) for so many things now taken for granted - the crankshaft torsional vibration damper/harmonic balancer, disc brakes, and turbocharging included. Also earlier studies on gliders and aerodynamics, way ahead of his time: an astonishingly-prescient engineer.

A 'boxer' is better in primary balance than a flat engine, but still has a residual secondary rocking-couple around the vertical axis through the engine. Lanchester's (1897!) boxer twin used two conrods per piston, driving two cranks (one above the other, in opposite rotation, the conrods the 'complement' of the one below - ie offset oppositely) - because that was the only way to attain even-better balance... a measure of his perfectionism.

ETA: this gentlemen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_W._Lanchester

Nothing wrong with fast cars. Wouldn't want them to go to the skip.

Along with 2 kilowatt vacuum cleaners and those highly dangerous banana plugs!

advertisement

Back