advertisement

My new bicycle

Glad to read you're nearly back riding. I can recommend this little accessory for your remaining £8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VTQNVO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

cheaper to order from Amazon US and pay transatlantic shipping.

Works for both sides of the road and removes nasty surprises arriving from behind (also allows you to take the whole lane comfortably when you know it's all clear behind). It's the best bike accessory I've bought in years.

I use the bar plug version on my drop bars. Certainly helps my situational awareness on the road. And as a maker of motor bike mirrors they know what they are doing. I also have one of their Ixon Core front lights.

I've tried various mirrors & always found them a faff, reverting to looking back over my shoulder (has the advantage that it also works abroad!)

If you'd like to try a mirror that mounts on the arm of your specs/goggles let me know & I'll stick it in the post.

RE: flexible neck muscles - with a mirror you can check back more frequently and more safely - and still turn the head before any major maneuver.

RE: using ears - The mirror shows cars 1/3-1/2 a mile back well before you'd hear them, and if it's windy hearing is useless.

The pros don't use mirrors because they don't ride with traffic. And they're under 35.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I used to be a skeptic, but not any more.

I would like to try a zero setback seatpost
Cheap and reasonable anyone ?
If it works I can upgrade later

Reason is my Giant now feels a touch too large and that and a shorter stem might be my answer.

When I got one bike, the previous owner had turned the seat post 180, making it a set-forward post.

Might be worth trying if the clamp has enough adjustment to give you the correct seat angle.

With the modern USB rechargable lights how long does the charge last if you don't use them for a good while, i.e. say you leave them off for two or three weeks are they then flat? I'm kind of interested but don't want to buy something that will need a charge before every ride as I often just decide on the spur of the moment.

Excellent. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into the situation I have with my Bosch cordless drill/screwdriver where I have to plan about four hours in advance if I want to use it as it's battery is always totally flat!

Tony, I would expect them to held charge for many a month with no intervention. My 18650's get one precautionary charge during the summer months.

The reason for USB charging is that there's less waste, they don't leak, don't go bad.

I suppose it depends how often they are used. I have functioning cateye LEDs that are over 10 yrs old. If they were LiIon rechargeable they would have had to be binned years ago.

If you're commuting 5 days a week after dark rechargeables probably make a lot more sense than if you are a recreational cyclist who's out after dark 1-2 days a week.

Good lithium batteries last a long time. I have Panasonic tools that see daily use in my workshop that are nine years old and still going strong.

If you're commuting 5 days a week after dark rechargeables probably make a lot more sense

I persevered for ages but the endless recharging broke me.

I ended up with SON lights front and back run off shimano's top dynamo front hub, the freedom from recharging/flat lights was worth the cost alone.

When I got one bike, the previous owner had turned the seat post 180, making it a set-forward post.

Might be worth trying if the clamp has enough adjustment to give you the correct seat angle.

Not sure that will work due to the angle but I'll give it a go

I recently got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQTZVLQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

The AAA batteries last so long I can't really see the point in faffing with a USB recharging light.

It's bright enough for anything but a bright day - on bright days I feel that bright clothing is a safer solution as it works from any angle and is a lot bigger than any light.

After being rear ended in daylight I now have my rear lights flashing all the time.
2 of them and 1 of these - which gives a red flash on each side as well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M4ZFB9E/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This also copes with being almost invisible in the dark from the side !

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Why does anyone use AAA, pathetic capacity compared with AA. Fewer AA would weigh less overall

I think the LEDs need 3v (or at least > 1.5v) - so two cells are needed in series to deliver the voltage. However since the current consumption is so small the extra capacity of AA is not needed, and so for reduced size and weight AAA are used.

I've got some Lezyne lights from their macro range that are compact, provide enough light for an 8 hour night ride and seem to hold their charge almost indefinitely. Highly recommended, they got a lot of compliments on the last dunwich dynamo. About £100 for a front and rear set.

advertisement

Back