advertisement

My new bicycle

I think we can possibly blame this bloke

The UK always seems full of people who follow others and like to "belong". It's interesting because having a large beard could be quite individualistic if it weren't for the fact that loads of the fashionista are doing it this season.

Undermines him IMO.
Beards really aren't for cycling.
When you think how much they try to save time on the road.
That must add a second or 2 per k on a TT.

As for a face plant on tarmac with a beard, what a horrid mess, hair and ripped up flesh not a great mix

As for a face plant on tarmac with a beard, what a horrid mess, hair and ripped up flesh not a great mix
Makes no real difference when it happens. I crashed as a boy and cut my head; the medics trimmed my hair to nothing for the area to be stitched and dealt with it. Similarly for a scalp wound caused by a rock fall when mountaineering. These days I'm fairly densely covered in fur, grazed legs and arms scab over without incident and heal up as normal, however hairy they are.

Saw one of these

ea584617-2973-458f-9e99-2236d84697b7-620x422.jpeg

confined to the Guardian fashion pages.

Asking whether that image is of a hipster is a bit like asking whether Sarah Michelle Gellar is a woman. JR, Joe P, contain yourselves.

My New Bicycle Part II

I spent yesterday (a quiet dull Christmas day) combing the online sales buying parts for a replacement for the crash-wrecked subject of this thread (see RTA procedure thread). I got a cheque for £2.5k as a 'without prejudice' payment for the old bike last week (the injury side of the case is still ongoing, but that is for the other thread). I have now spent the cheque...

Frame: Lynskey R265

Forks: Lynskey Pro Road Carbon

Seatpost: Lynskey Titanium 25mm setback

Bars: 3T Team Tornova Carbon Ltd

Stem: Ritchey WCS260

Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6800 (50/34/175, 11/28, 34.9 band, short cage)

Wheels: Hand-built Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro

Headset: Cane Creek Forty 40 EC34

Pedals: Shimano PD-M540

Bar tape: BBB

Tyres/inners/headset spacers etc: reuse ones I have knocking about.

With copious bargain hunting I have brought that lot in almost exactly on budget, in fact at this stage I'm £8 in pocket, though I'll inevitably have forgotten something! Just need to wait for all the bits to arrive from all over the place (Chain Reaction, Merlin, Wiggle, eBay, Ubyk etc) and then build it! I'll keep my now rather battle-scared but nicely broken-in Brooks B17 saddle to remind me to trust absolutely nothing on roundabouts!

PS I went for a Lynskey R265 frame rather than simply replace the Sportive as it has a slightly more relaxed geometry/longer head tube, it should hopefully be very comfortable which will help as I'm not 100% recovered yet. The negative is I lose mudguard lugs, but it is really only a summer bike so no huge deal.

Sounds nice - looking forward to seeing some pictures. A couple of the guys in the club have Lynskey's and really like them.

Disappointed Tony. I could have done a nice Middleburn crank set up for you wink wink :D
I've just built a nice Ibis up with all Ultegra 6800 apart from cranks and hubs and it'll be our demo bike at the shows and for any R&D too. Can't wait get it finished.

At that price a serious lock?

It's the 'posh bike', I'd never leave it locked up anywhere! The most I ever did with the last one was visit one specific bike-friendly cafe in a nice area with the bike never out of my eye line - I use a couple of reusable cable ties to attach it to a barrier outside so I'd have plenty of time to get out if someone started messing with it (stops anyone accidentally knocking it over too). The last thing you want with a nice light road bicycle is to be carrying a couple of kg of lock around!

PS My Kona MTB (subject of another thread somewhere as it is the first bike I built from scratch) is kitted out with keyed Pitlocks etc to stop anyone unbolting anything from it when it is locked up. I still don't like leaving it in the centre of Manchester for too long, but it should be pretty secure with it's Kryptonite New York lock.

Glad to read you're nearly back riding. I can recommend this little accessory for your remaining £8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VTQNVO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

cheaper to order from Amazon US and pay transatlantic shipping.

Works for both sides of the road and removes nasty surprises arriving from behind (also allows you to take the whole lane comfortably when you know it's all clear behind). It's the best bike accessory I've bought in years.

My New Bicycle Part II

I spent yesterday (a quiet dull Christmas day) combing the online sales buying parts for a replacement for the crash-wrecked subject of this thread

Seatpost: Lynskey Titanium 25mm setback

I would like to try a zero setback seatpost
Cheap and reasonable anyone ?
If it works I can upgrade later

Reason is my Giant now feels a touch too large and that and a shorter stem might be my answer.

Glad to read you're nearly back riding. I can recommend this little accessory for your remaining £8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VTQNVO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

cheaper to order from Amazon US and pay transatlantic shipping.

Works for both sides of the road and removes nasty surprises arriving from behind (also allows you to take the whole lane comfortably when you know it's all clear behind). It's the best bike accessory I've bought in years.

I find the mirror on my RHS bar end essential

I would like to try a zero setback seatpost
Cheap and reasonable anyone ?
If it works I can upgrade later

Reason is my Giant now feels a touch too large and that and a shorter stem might be my answer.

There was much gnashing of teeth about three years ago on the old CTC forum when the last, cheap zero setback post went out of production, leaving only a couple of really pricey options.

Not sure what the situ is now but I think it's something that one of the bigger bits and bob makers would clean up with if they introduced a reasonably priced one.

It all depends on the saddle and frame geometry, I thought most modern frames were designed for a zero setback. I ride a Brooks B17 saddle and these don't conform to modern positioning so definitely needs a setback post. Adjusting the bike reach with the saddle is not a great idea, the saddle position is all about positioning your legs correctly over the pedals.

PS I've more than spent my spare £8 as I've never had to contend with cutting a steerer tube before, let alone a carbon one, so I needed a cutting jig, a hacksaw and a fine 32t hacksaw blade (I've been watching the YouTubes so know how to do it now! I even know about not breathing the carbon dust!). Came to just over £25. I've already got the tools for pushing in a headset, dealing with a Shimano groupset etc. I may also need to buy a compression plug (can't use a star-nut with carbon), I'm not sure if one comes with the Lynskey forks or not, but they are less than a tenner if I need one.

re the £8 now spent. Even if it wasn't, IMO the regular use of flexible neck muscles beats a mirror on the basis that you learn to appraise your surroundings better. ( oh and whoever saw a pro with mirrors ; ) )

What size post? We might have a decent Nitro one in stock.

Don't forget to put some carbon assembly paste tween stem and steerer tube.

re the £8 now spent. Even if it wasn't, IMO the regular use of flexible neck muscles beats a mirror on the basis that you learn to appraise your surroundings better. ( oh and whoever saw a pro with mirrors ; ) )

That assumes flexible neck muscles! I have to admit I do find it hard to look behind on a road bike and pretty much impossible down in the drops. Much easier on the more upright Brompton or Kona.

PS When I've built this one and start riding it again I think I'll start riding with led bike lights in daylight just to try and appear a bit more visible. I suspect something flashing front and rear helps attract motorists' attention even in daylight. I've still not got my confidence back in traffic to be honest, I can do it (and have been forcing myself to), but I don't feel too comfortable yet.

advertisement

Back