advertisement

My experience with vinyl

Joan Armatrading is woefully underrated and undervalued. I know she sold a lot, and likely to folk who had decent hi-fi (hence so much surviving in decent condition), but they should be £10+ a throw by now IMO. Most of her peers are. I’m amazed how cheaply I can still buy good copies in.

From Amazon, yes, that’s true, but from Bandcamp (where I buy a lot of stuff) that £22 ends up a lot higher once VAT and shipping is added. It can often still be worthwhile as some stuff I’m buying really is limited (a hundred or two, plus often signed) so ends up holding or even dramatically increasing in value. Rough Trade, Juno etc end up adding about £4, so £26 or so.

The audiophile stuff is interesting and viewing over the long-hall many of the most valuable records in my collection are in that category (Nimbus, DCC, Classic Records etc). It is amazing how valuable some of these are now. As such if a title is not likely to be around for long I don’t mind the £35 there. I’m a little wary of stuff that is frequently repressed e.g. Tone Poets, though they need to be viewed in light of the cost of an original Blue Note pressing which is £hundreds or even £thousands now. A Tone Poet costs about the same as a used Japanese copy, and I can live with that. It is a genuinely nice product in a high quality cover. I doubt even the most popular ones will lose more than a fiver or so over the long run, and many of the more obscure ones that don’t merit a repress will increase.
I mostly buy from Honest Jon’s and Boomkat, and a few at a time to take advantage of the free postage on orders over £75 (HJ) or £50 (BK). Bandcamp I find prohibitive in most cases (mostly the postage) although I appreciate it’s a good way to support artists. I’m strictly a consumer so don’t really consider what might happen to the value, I’ll never see any of it.

Tone Poets are an exception in the reissue market IMO in that you really do get guaranteed first rate sound quality in a beautiful sleeve that cost a lot to produce. A lot of stuff being pushed at that price is bog standard or worse, and as for the £50 releases doing the rounds…that is strictly to pay the wages of record label executives who’ve done nothing but open the door to the archives.

Sorry, this is now a routine rant from me :).

I can agree with a lot of what you say. I tend to leave vinyl for the times I’m listening with the Mrs, or other company.
For every day listening, it’s the CD player for me.
I used to use YouTube a lot too, but there’s adverts everywhere now, which I find worse than flipping the record over by far.
I think that you can pay for advert-free YouTube music.

I don’t think it’s particularly dear if you shop around. Last week I got four Joan Armatrading albums from EBay for £15.00. Funny woman Joan, some absolute pearlers surrounded by tedious stuff.

Every big record fair I've been to in the last few years has had a bunch of stalls that are box after box of clean 70s/80s vinyl for £4 a pop. Anyone who enjoys relatively mainstream rock/pop can do very well.

I think streaming has really altered the vinyl market. If people mostly stream their music budget doesn't need to stretch to a bunch of physical releases - they can splurge it all on that one £50 deluxe reissue or that one minty grail that you've been eyeing up on the dealer's wall for months.

I saw something on insta about ‘lost Berlin’ recordings, think it was Dexter Gordon. £50 & 45rpm, who buys this utter crap?

Me. It's not utter crap but you wouldn't know that because you've not bought it, in much the same way as I don't know that you're not a complete cock because I haven't had the misfortune of meeting you.

Here's a link to the utter crap for those interested in finding out more.

Me. It's not utter crap but you wouldn't know that because you've not bought it, in much the same way as I don't know that you're not a complete cock because I haven't had the misfortune of meeting you.

Here's a link to the utter crap for those interested in finding out more.
Oh, calm down.

Can it be bought on CD or download for much, much less?

If you think £50 is reasonable then that is perfectly fine.

Yeah, I am a bit of a c*ck;)

Just had a look, Hi-Res download for 12 euros & they found another 'rare' recording by Errol Garner. I just see it as a bit of a cash in. Why is it 45rpm? To fill two sides of vinyl?

Joan Armatrading is woefully underrated and undervalued. I know she sold a lot, and likely to folk who had decent hi-fi (hence so much surviving in decent condition), but they should be £10+ a throw by now IMO. Most of her peers are. I’m amazed how cheaply I can still buy good copies in.
Funny that, she's just not fashionable. Same for, say, Gerry Rafferty, can be bought min for £4, Joe Jackson probably the same?

Yes, Joe Jackson is definitely another one, a great catalogue IMO. He should be seen as a equal peer of say Elvis Costello, but for some reason the marketplace says otherwise. I don’t know Gerry Rafferty’s catalogue aside from the Baker St single, but it always goes when I list it. Getting harder to find nice copies of both now though. I can find Joan Armatrading albums far quicker, though not as fast as say Sky 2 (I think I’ve got three of that aside from the one I have listed!).

PS I’ll never walk past an NM Joan Armatrading or Joe Jackson album in a bargain bin as I both rate them and know they will eventually go out to a happy buyer. Neither will ever end up as dead stock, though they won’t make what I think they should be worth.

FWIW My approach when a local 'pop up shop' provided tables covered in lots of 'tea chests' filled with 2 - 3 per item LPs was:

1) To buy a number of them. Then one by one...

2) Get out the LP and clean it.

3) Play it whilst running an ADC to make a digital capture.

4) Use Audacity to remove clicks and tidy up the capture as best as possible.

5) Put the LP away in a store.

6) From then on play the digital capture.

I did also form the habit of scanning the LP labels and sleeve to have as jpegs in the same directory as the audio files for that LP. Call the 'cover' one cover.jpeg and it tends to be picked up by the playing software. Either way:

7) Use a simple pic-file display prog to examine the sleeve front, etc, if I wish.

Job's a good-un. No more fuss.

Still doing the above with ones I've not yet played. I've also run most of my pre-CD LPs and EPs though the above process. Not only no clicks, but easier to enjoy when doing something like making dinner in the kitchen - albeit with poorer sound quality due to the acoustic, etc. Shame ELSs and a kitchen aren't a practical combo. But even with lesser speakers and a lousy acoustic, etc, better than having no music or the challenge of playing an LP when making dinner. :)

Enjoy the music, not the LP. 8-]

they found another 'rare' recording by Errol Garner.

The name of the business is The Lost Recordings. Their raison d'etre is unearthing lost recordings and bringing them to market. I'm not clear what you find objectionable in that.

I just see it as a bit of a cash in.

Hmmm. A business looking to cash in on a niche they have carved out in a crowded marketplace. How utterly reprehensible.

Why is it 45rpm? To fill two sides of vinyl?

It's four pieces of music which fit perfectly on an EP. Clearly there was space to fit on two pieces per side at 45rpm. Many audiophiles prefer 45rpm claiming it sounds better. I couldn't say why they chose 45rpm but I've no idea why you would have an issue with it. The speed of a record is a very odd thing to get exercised about.

Oh, calm down.

Can it be bought on CD or download for much, much less?

If you think £50 is reasonable then that is perfectly fine.

Yeah, I am a bit of a c*ck;)

Just had a look, Hi-Res download for 12 euros & they found another 'rare' recording by Errol Garner. I just see it as a bit of a cash in. Why is it 45rpm? To fill two sides of vinyl?

In theory 45rpm, should reduce some of the groove/stylus geometry effects that cause distortion. Particularly near end-of-side at HF. In practice, however...

FWIW I did buy some of the "Dragon's Dream" LPs (33.3rpm) that were direct-cut. Sound excellent, and enjoyable music. No flaws, but costly IIRC. One IIRC had two copies of the recording. One direct, the other not.

FWIW Most of the 'pop up shop' LPs I bought were Jazz. I suspect most visitors to the shop didn't even look through the tea chests or would have recognised the names of the artists. You had to pull up individiual discs to see what each was as the boxes were stuffed full. But it included gems like the 5-LP set issued to commemorate Ellington after he died. And many of the old RCA "Black and White" Jazz double LPs. Wish I'd bought more.

The name of the business is The Lost Recordings. Their raison d'etre is unearthing lost recordings and bringing them to market. I'm not clear what you find objectionable in that.

Hmmm. A business looking to cash in on a niche they have carved out in a crowded marketplace. How utterly reprehensible.

It's four pieces of music which fit perfectly on an EP. Clearly there was space to fit on two pieces per side at 45rpm. Many audiophiles prefer 45rpm claiming it sounds better. I couldn't say why they chose 45rpm but I've no idea why you would have an issue with it. The speed of a record is a very odd thing to get exercised about.
But are they really lost though or just not worthy of release? Dexter Gordon was living in France I think at the tale end of his career & was probably in the studio all the time to make a living, whether any of it was prime is very debatable. I think £50 for an LP is daft but it's your choice. if there is only enough material for just an EP why charge £50?

45rpm does not 'sound better' by default or design, I have quite a nice record collection, plenty of Jazz & am very cynical about such 'lost masterpieces' or whatever else they call them. It's pretty bad when the likes of Universal charge £35 for a bog standard record but at least you get a full album.

FWIW Most of the 'pop up shop' LPs I bought were Jazz. I suspect most visitors to the shop didn't even look through the tea chests or would have recognised the names of the artists. You had to pull up individiual discs to see what each was as the boxes were stuffed full. But it included gems like the 5-LP set issued to commemorate Ellington after he died. And many of the old RCA "Black and White" Jazz double LPs. Wish I'd bought more.
2nd hand Jazz records in nice nick are usually not expensive, thankfully. This over-hyped, special edition nonsense is just that IMV. How many 'audiophile' releases actually sound any better?

LP: a medium for storing and distributing recorded sound. Comes in a big sleeve with room for a nice picture on one side and quite a lot of words on the other. Also comes with a generous helping of sounds, intermittent and constant, which are not part of the recording. May include unwanted pitch variations.

That's it.

Why it has a mystical following is quite beyond me.

I do like to listen to vinyl occasionally, gave Love Supreme a spin last night, Impute reissue, probably worth buttons but sounded good. I remember buying classic records KoB for £30 & thinking it was a fortune. That came on two discs, original LP on one with a corrected speed version on other & an unrelated outtake.

Sounds a bargain by today’s standards.

2nd hand Jazz records in nice nick are usually not expensive, thankfully.

Reissues of mainstream/early jazz maybe. A lot of that stuff you can't give away.

I popped into Rollin Records in West Wickham this afternoon - some fantastic records but lots of them £100+.

But are they really lost though or just not worthy of release? Dexter Gordon was living in France I think at the tale end of his career & was probably in the studio all the time to make a living, whether any of it was prime is very debatable.

Donald Byrd and Dexter Gordon recorded together on two occasions. One provided the material for this EP that we're discussing and the second was for the Dexter Gordon LP One Flight Up which was reissued a year or two ago on the Blue Note Tone Poet Series. This is one of favourite LPs and I recommend it to you wholeheartedly. It's an absolute masterpiece. Neither Byrd nor Gordon were at the tail end of their careers when these recordings were made, far from it.

I think £50 for an LP is daft but it's your choice. if there is only enough material for just an EP why charge £50?

I imagine the costs of producing a 12" EP and a 12" LP are very similar if not the same. The point is that these are limited edition and hand numbered. They are all analogue, beautifully pressed and the covers are very high quality. I certainly do not feel in any way that I overpaid for what I received. I imagine in 5 or 10 years it will be worth significantly more than I paid.

Nice write up @Piksky, having got into this game during a time when vinyl and FM radio were the only viable decent sources available I agree with a lot of what you said, except that I had to put up with it and I wasn't especially stressed over 'lowering the needle', I was young, I had good eyesight, no worries!

New release LPs back in the day cost me £5 each and that was a lot of money for me, a starving student. That said, I have bought a few new records recently and one thing you touched on I have found very frustrating and that is finding a decent pressing. This never seemed to be an issue for me back in the day. Its got the the point where I tend to look for my records in second hand record shops, obviously I'm not going to get the new releases this way.

My kids, interested that my 40 year old turntable was on display asked to hear it play, they expressed disappointment that it sounded just like streaming! "Where are all the atmospheric, hiss, crackles and pops they asked?" There is no pleasing some people.

Whilst I do still listen to vinyl it represents only 1% of my playing time, reverting to streaming on line for the rest and this is mainly out of convenience, choice and cost. I guess that's progress.

advertisement

Back