advertisement

My experience with vinyl

LP12 can better digital but it's a big spend according to the cognoscenti. Safer with a Planar 3, grab a 50th Anniversary model before the end of the year.
Not interested in a P3, would only have a P8 or 10 from Rega. Really dislike the anniversary model. I’ll probably pick up a 2nd hand P8 at some stage, they are good value.

I can't imagine downsizing a turntable. I can't even broach 'downsizing' to a MM cart.

What I might start doing with greater brutality is disposing of imperfect vinyl. There are hordes of people on FB Marketplace that will pay good money for bundles of scratchy or worn spotlessly clean vinyl from a carefully curated collection.

Not interested in a P3, would only have a P8 or 10 from Rega. Really dislike the anniversary model. I’ll probably pick up a 2nd hand P8 at some stage, they are good value.

I'm just about to put a P8 up for sale in the classifieds section here. PM me if you're interested Woodface!

I'm just about to put a P8 up for sale in the classifieds section here. PM me if you're interested Woodface!
Thanks, not quite on the road with it yet, always a prevaricater. I want to ‘de-hifi’ my listening place so will be selling a naim fraim when I get round to it & want rid of the ubiquitous wall shelf.

I am looking to simplify.

If you like what an LP12 does I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if you liked a Planar 8, this from someone that has owned two different planar 8s and sold them both.

I really don't get this Linn to Rega move that many do, they couldn't sound more different if they tried. Literally chalk and cheese.

If you like what an LP12 does I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if you liked a Planar 8, this from someone that has owned two different planar 8s and sold them both.

I really don't get this Linn to Rega move that many do, they couldn't sound more different if they tried. Literally chalk and cheese.
Fair point but I am hardly listening to my TT, is this because I’ve moved largely to digital, would an upper end Rega suit me better? I’d quite like to try one of the Technics decks also. What’s the point in changing of it’s not different?

I’d like to have a proper listen to one.

In that case I wouldn't bother with a P8 or P10, a P3 will give you all you need. Or as you say you could try one of the Technics.

In that case I wouldn't bother with a P8 or P10, a P3 will give you all you need. Or as you say you could try one of the Technics.
I’ve had a P2 & thought it was boring. I have standards, wouldn’t have a budget table in the house;)

The Technics decks are certainly worth a listen. The SL-1210GR and the Rega P8 certainly provide an interesting contrast in their respective strengths and weaknesses- at least in my system with my ears and musical tastes they do.

I am rapidly tiring of records. New ones and secondhand ones are increasingly a complete crapshoot. I am still drawn to buying and hoarding them, though. I currently have about 30 secondhand ones awaiting inspection, cleaning and new inner and plastic outer sleeves and I’ve just ordered the Feelies double live album of VU covers. Will we never be set free?

Turns out the 3 double Ella Fitzgerald Verve songbook sets in that pile turned out to be Mono US first presses from the 1950's in NM condition. Probably worth about $250 as a set. And the UK Mono East/West by the Butterfield Blues band is in far better condition than I expected. This is quite clearly a sickness.

advertisement

Back