advertisement

Musing about upgrades - Two sets of speakers (in the same room) ?

Ah, ok thanks.
Be interesting if someone with REW and lots of speakers could see if the effect of introducing an unpowered speaker into a room is measurable.
@ToTo Man?

To some people it will fun but it will bring frustration to others. It is dead easy to gone down the searching for that elusive sound route, and two speakers in the same room will result in continuously flicking from one set of speakers to the other and you will not be relaxing and listening to music which makes the whole thing pointless.
I don't think it's pointless or unenjoyable. Rather it's interesting and fun. You make the mistake of thinking everyone feels as you do Mick.

Ah, ok thanks.
Be interesting if someone with REW and lots of speakers could see if the effect of introducing an unpowered speaker into a room is measurable.
@ToTo Man?
The issue is identifying what measurement parameter is relevant for the phenomenon we are trying to explain. I can upload a measurement showing a change in the in-room frequency response, reflection profile, reverberation times, etc, when I introduce an unpowered loudspeaker into the room, but I can also show a similar result by introducing a piece of furniture into the room of similar size and construction. An interesting experiment would be to take an in-room measurement showing the effect of shorting an unpowered speakers' terminals, however I'm not sure an in-room measurement is reliable/consistent/repeatable enough to show the effect, especially at low frequencies. In my 10 years of using REW I have never been able to reproduce identical waterfall/RT60 measurements despite taking them within seconds of each other.

I don't think it's pointless or unenjoyable. Rather it's interesting and fun. You make the mistake of thinking everyone feels as you do Mick.
No right or wrong, do what makes you happy. A single system maximising budget with a particular goal or mess about swapping boxes, buying multiples and hearing different takes on things.

I’ve done loads of box swapping/comparisons over many years and am now heading to one big system as I head towards retirement, been a great journey so far.

An interesting experiment would be to take an in-room measurement showing the effect of shorting an unpowered speakers' terminals,
Yes, that thought crossed my mind too (to add the box 'without' the driver movement) and do the same 'unshorted'.
however I'm not sure an in-room measurement is reliable/consistent/repeatable enough to show the effect,
Bu99er...wondered if this might be the case.

Btw, that’s not the case really - if you put any ‘conventional’ speakers close to the wall (not the ones specifically designed for that), reflected sound destroys the soundstage, sealed box not different in that regard
I own ATCs, they can go as close as 10cm to wall. Think mine are 30cms out, maybe a little closer. They sound great.

I use panels and floor standers and love swapping them over for a week or 2 in the system.
Great fun and makes me appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of cone and panels.
The panels are up a level so always have a big smile when they come back..But also roll off in the bass.

S J B ....your in a nice place dedicated room and loads of dosh...hope you get something different from your SL 2' s which you love
Get some panels...Quads or Martin Logans or Magnepan...only a thought

Having two sets of speakers would introduce another decision, what to play and then which speakers. You’d need to swap leads, which may mean turning the amplifier off, and possibly move speakers around. What a faff. With €20,000 available I feel it would be much better to get one really good pair. SL2s are fine speakers, but so are many others.
Depends what two sets and what amps. I don't have to swap anything, just have to turn the Leak on or off, or the Genelecs on or off, although having both sets on at once is quite fun.

My opinion, for what it’s worth, you already have a nice pair of speakers. If you introduce another pair (I had Boenicke and Raidho sitting side by side) they will also have their strengths and weaknesses. Of course, your money your choice but this seems to me to be the epitome of putting equipment before the music, and admitadly I’ve done the same in the past. You have a nice system in a (seemingly) nice environment, enjoy what you have and go and treat yourself to other more important things in life. I hope you find the answer that is right for you.

I own ATCs, they can go as close as 10cm to wall. Think mine are 30cms out, maybe a little closer. They sound great.
I’ve run 20 Towers for several years, if you‘re not putting at least 80-100cm to the wall they cannot demonstrate all the potential but again this is true for almost all speakers in the world except Klipschhorns etc.

I’ve run 20 Towers for several years, if you‘re not putting at least 80-100cm to the wall they cannot demonstrate all the potential but again this is true for almost all speakers in the world except Klipschhorns etc.
Yeah we can all put speakers in the middle of the room. I just go with manufacturer recommendations & my system sounds great.

Two systems in one room, to me, rings as listening to the system not the music.
Also I find that the budget is better spent in a better single system (and the room) than splitting it into two.

The two pairs of speakers will interact acoustically but I'd expect the audibility of negative/positive effects will be slight.

Two systems in one room, to me, rings as listening to the system not the music.

Honest, guv, it is music that I listen to on my system!

I have tried just listening to the system but all I hear is a very quiet Naim toroidal transformer hum which I must admit that when the mood takes me can have the karmic impact of some avant garde ambient pieces but in the end my attention wanders and I hanker to listen to some music again.

.sjb

Honest, guv, it is music that I listen to on my system!

I have tried just listening to the system but all I hear is a very quiet Naim toroidal transformer hum which I must admit that when the mood takes me can have the karmic impact of some avant garde ambient pieces but in the end my attention wanders and I hanker to listen to some music again.

.sjb

So how will you go about it?
Main system for male vocals, second system for female vocalists? Or maybe bad/good recordings?
To me it makes no sense whatsoever.

If you've had your speakers for a long time in the same room (and like them) it is only logical that you've become so accustomed to the way they sound that you'll have to make an effort to adapt to the sound of new speakers.
My approach would be to find out what could be improved and look for suitable replacements that address audible issues.

Also I find that the budget is better spent in a better single system (and the room) than splitting it into two.

Assuming the budget is not tight I see real value in owning both nearfield and full-range systems. I’d not attempt it in the same room though, but I do very much enjoy having both available as it gives a very different perspective of a recording.

Assuming the budget is not tight I see real value in owning both nearfield and full-range systems. I’d not attempt it in the same room though, but I do very much enjoy having both available as it gives a very different perspective of a recording.

When you say near-field what sort of distance are you talking about both between the speakers and from listener to the speakers?

.sjb

When you say near-field what sort of distance are you talking about both between the speakers and from listener to the speakers?

.sjb

About a 1.4 metre triangle in the case of my upstairs system, I’d argue that or less. To be honest my main system isn’t that much bigger at around 2.2 metres, though there is a very big difference in presentation and perspective. I really like having both available as each reveals different things. It makes sense too as not all music is mixed on full-range monitors, not all is mixed on small near-fields, so some stuff suits one more than the other. The limitation is my nearfield system is digital-only, no record deck upstairs

advertisement

Back