advertisement

Musing about upgrades - Two sets of speakers (in the same room) ?

& ATCs are sealed box so can go close to wall.
Btw, that’s not the case really - if you put any ‘conventional’ speakers close to the wall (not the ones specifically designed for that), reflected sound destroys the soundstage, sealed box not different in that regard

I mean coming from a Naim man that normally chooses other criteria like soundstage etc.
I find KEFs to be trying to sound to hifi for me & missing some of the basics I look for in music.
Does Naim have soundstage? Not that I have ever heard!

I think it depends what KEF products you are referring to tbh. LS50’s probably not comparable to SL2’s mind you.

Our hobby is multifaceted and not just about the end result of listening to music. Whatever someone does as part of this hobby is great if it gives them enjoyment and there isn't a one size fits all. I have gone through so may phases in my hifi journey so far, some from curiosity, some from dealers and shows and others from forums such as this. I am glad there are so many varied ways to enjoy this hobby and play as you see fit.

As part of our demonstration for clients, we would bring an undriven loudspeaker into the listening room to show how it degrades the system performance and your ability to hear musical differences.

Single speaker dem rooms were legit and the only way forward for a dealer who sold by direct comparisons.

Never heard that thing about not having two pairs of speakers in the same room.

My guess is the acoustics of your average home listening room will have a greater detrimental impact on the sound than a second pair of speakers.

As part of our demonstration for clients, we would bring an undriven loudspeaker into the listening room to show how it degrades the system performance and your ability to hear musical differences.
Interesting. Are you saying that it acts as some sort of delayed, passive radiator?

Having two sets of speakers would introduce another decision, what to play and then which speakers. You’d need to swap leads, which may mean turning the amplifier off, and possibly move speakers around. What a faff. With €20,000 available I feel it would be much better to get one really good pair. SL2s are fine speakers, but so are many others.

I think the secret of Hifi happiness is to stop faffing about and with two speakers in the same room you will never stop yourself comparing the two of them. That is a recipe for uncertainty and even discontent.
I think the secret of hifi happiness is to do your thing. Whatever brings you pleasure, do it, a lot. Two sets of speakers sounds like great fun to me with endless possibilities.

Definitely check out Genelec too if you’re considering monitors.

I’ve owned ATC SCM25’s and 19’s, PMC AML2 and OB1i’s and various Neat, Kef as well as Genelec including 8250’s, 8240s and 8030s.

I keep coming back to Genelec and recently got a pair of 8341’s and a 7350A sub with GLM - it’s absolutely epic, maybe end game for me 🤔

If I had your budget, I’d seriously consider looking at 8361’s if you’ve got room for them - check out the ASR review of them at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/genelec-8361a-review-powered-monitor.28039/

I think the secret of hifi happiness is to do your thing. Whatever brings you pleasure, do it, a lot. Two sets of speakers sounds like great fun to me with endless possibilities.
To some people it will fun but it will bring frustration to others. It is dead easy to gone down the searching for that elusive sound route, and two speakers in the same room will result in continuously flicking from one set of speakers to the other and you will not be relaxing and listening to music which makes the whole thing pointless.

Interesting. Are you saying that it acts as some sort of delayed, passive radiator?
I’m not exactly sure what is at play but we did the demonstration for every client using not only loudspeakers but items like digital watches that had the built in alarms. This was before mobile phones were a thing, I could only imagine…

advertisement

Back