advertisement

Music you just "don't get"

I've got a decent hi-fi and it had the opposite effect. Well, not really I already thought it was twaddle.

Ha! Yeah I do think the actual content of the lyrics aren't great, I like the detail and layering of the sound which I believe isn't commonplace enough with that type of music

Ay, I suppose it's not that bad musically. I think my rage against Radiohead comes more from how overrated I see them as, rather than how bad they are, which they aren't terribly. And they seem to attract fans who claim they are much more than they are. A bit like Apple geeks.

The stuff that in the UK at least now seems to fall under the banner of "R+B" or "UK Garage". If I ever happen to turn the radio on and Trevor Nelson's show is on I feel an urge to throw myself under a bus.

Indeed. What is now sacrilegiously termed "R+B" is possibly the worst (but most popular) form of music known to man! I hope it's not just a case of something I "don't get" as it is incredibly popular, but, as someone who plays several instruments, has a vast music collection and hears live music weekly, I kind of trust my own taste in saying that it's truly execrable.

Ay, I suppose it's not that bad musically. I think my rage against Radiohead comes more from how overrated I see them as, rather than how bad they are, which they aren't terribly. And they seem to attract fans who claim they are much more than they are. A bit like Apple geeks.

Yes I couldn't agree more, very overrated. Each to their own though I suppose!

I don't really get John Martyn. Okay, I've said it. I just don't.
I know the hifi fraternity treat him like a God and believe his alcoholism was a great laugh, Oliver Reed style, slap him on the back, good old John pissed again, but his music just goes over my head; 'Hey, bought a ticket, he was pissed, fell over, carried off and we went home early..ha ha ha..can't beat old John up to his old tricks, can't wait for the next one'.
Reverb soaked acoustic guitar, intentionally slurred lyrics, whacky for the sake of being whacky, 'ha ha can't understand a word ha ha, ...but nicely recorded and all that'. Sounds good in the Linn demo room.
All sounds the same.
Nah, don't get it at all.
(Yes I saw him twice - dunno why).

(Christ, that's going to rattle a few cages this afternoon)

Red Rhodes is my pedal steel hero. His stuff with the First National Band is just astonishing. Check out "Bonaparte's Retreat", or "Listen to the Band".

Sneaky Pete Kleinow is up there as well.

Chris

SNeaky pete wasnt a great player, but he did his job and did it very, very well. sorta like Jerry Garcia(when he played steel)

Red Rhodes is great.

My favorites are

Buddy Emmons

Speedy West

Don Helms

Ralph Mooney

Paul Franklin

Curly Chalker

Lloyd Green

here is a great site

http://www.pedalsteel.co.uk (there are a ton of vids there from the powerhouse players)

I don't really get John Martyn. Okay, I've said it. I just don't.
I know the hifi fraternity treat him like a God and believe his alcoholism was a great laugh, Oliver Reed style, slap him on the back, good old John pissed again, but his music just goes over my head; 'Hey, bought a ticket, he was pissed, fell over, carried off and we went home early..ha ha ha..can't beat old John up to his old tricks, can't wait for the next one'.
Reverb soaked acoustic guitar, intentionally slurred lyrics, whacky for the sake of being whacky, 'ha ha can't understand a word ha ha, ...but nicely recorded and all that'. Sounds good in the Linn demo room.
All sounds the same.
Nah, don't get it at all.
(Yes I saw him twice - dunno why).

(Christ, that's going to rattle a few cages this afternoon)

Oh dear Rasher.... and you DO like country music.....
It is indeed turning out an interesting discussion. Between them PFM members have managed to dis a goodly amount of my fave ever artists! That's what it's all about though. vive la difference :)

I LOVE ambient music like Bass Communion & Stars Of The Lid but find that almost everyone else just gives me a sideways look as if I'm barking mad, but I find it the most emotive music of all...almost.

But, The Doors! Dreadful stuff.
There's Jim Morrison pretending to be all deep, dark and moody, and the keyboards behind him is playing this fast little happy ditty type thing that sounds like the backing to that speeded up film of Benny Hill running around.
How's that supposed to work then?

See what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE ambient music like Bass Communion & Stars Of The Lid but find that almost everyone else just gives me a sideways look as if I'm barking mad, but I find it the most emotive music of all...almost.

There's Jim Morrison pretending to be all deep, dark and moody, and the keyboards behind him is playing this fast little happy ditty type thing that sounds like the backing to that speeded up film of Benny Hill running around.

So I'm guessing you won't be watching BBC4 tonight at 20 past 10?

+1 for Dire Straits! The first few albums anyway. I don't like Knopflers solo work much though. It went a bit too Americana ish for me.

I agree with Knopfler although i do prefer Making Movies onwards album wise for Straits to the first album and Communique. On every street is the weakest of these though!

See what I mean?

Jim Morrison is a pretentious knob, and I think their early stuff is a load of faux artistic twaddle, but their last two albums are great - straight up bad-assed hard rock. Their 'Live in Pittsburgh 1970' CD is right in this vein, too.

Back OT: Rock music that doesn't touch me as much as I imagine it should? Van Der Graaf/Peter Hamill (Apart from thre awesome Godbluff), XTC, David Ackles, Radiohead, and Love spring to mind as artists in which I have invested effort with little reward.

I'm with you on John Martyn.....dreadful stuff. Over the top effects, slurred words, trying to be arty....not for me. I play a bit of guitar so tend to judge the profiency of artists based on my own (limited) ability. If I can play it....it can't be too difficult (that means YOU..U2)
Mind you, some simple stuff can be brilliant, Early Beatles and Stones had a vibrancy and energy that was uplifting.

Could listen to SRV, ZZ Top, all day long......great music!

OK, will run for cover now.............ZZ Top, are you kidding?

See what I mean?

That's actually what I like about the Doors: the contrast/clash between the pretentious Morrison "poetry", the organ player doing his little twiddly thing, all underpinned by basic blues recycled for white college kids. I don't know why, but it works (for me at least).

I've got a decent hi-fi and it had the opposite effect. Well, not really I already thought it was twaddle.

+1 (regarding Radiohead). Had forgotten about them, but still have a couple of their CDs cluttering up the shelves.

Is it possible for this thread to stay 'on topic'?

Lots of comments from people about artists that they can't stand.

If they are that clear about them then they obviously 'get them' surely?

I don't think it is possible to keep to the point on a thread like this.

I don't get how Queen (for one) are/were so revered.. how they are classed as one of the great Rock bands of all time?. They aren't even a good Pop band as far as I'm concerned. I just don't get it.

If you read the first post, the thread is about a) music you don't like b) music where you don't see what the fuss is about.

If you read the first post, the thread is about a) music you don't like b) music where you don't see what the fuss is about.

As the OP I really meant for it to be "b) music where you don't see what the fuss is about" (but lots of your mates do and you don't get it!) rather than just what don't you like..... but it's turning out fun anyhow :D

Never thought I'd see so much bad taste about though!... IE all the people who don't like what I like! :p

advertisement

Back