advertisement

Music you just "don't get"

Arkless Electronics

Trade: Amp design and repairs.
I'm sure most of us must harbour a dislike, or simply can't see what the fuss is about, when it comes to the appreciation of certain bands which everyone else seems to think highly of... I'll start it off then

Early Genesis. I MUCH prefer them after Gabriel left and Phil Collins took over vocal duties. This apparently is a hanging offence amongst Genesis aficionados.
I just find them boring, posturing, meandering without going anywhere art school ****ery!

T-Rex. Not awful, in fact some of the riffs are good but the lyrics are total nonsense made up off the top of Bolans head (so it seems to me). OK ish at a seventies nostalgia party but just can't see that they deserve anything like their fairly elevated reputation!

Your turn....

U2. How they fill stadiums is way beyond me. Dont get it. Dont want to get it. Want to hate :)

Oh Coldplay as well.

Most country and western. Especially if it's got pedal steel guitar on it!
Don't mind Johnny Cash though..

I'm guilty of thread creep on my own thread here! :p
I suppose what I meant was specific groups/acts/ performers that are in general highly regarded by a significant section of ones peers... all opera is getting a bit away from this. As I was also with country and western!
It would be all too easy to say "all boy bands" for example.

U2 eh? I can see why.... But still like some of their early stuff. "Live at red rocks" a great live album IMHO.

I can't get "A Love Supreme" or most 'Trane in fact. I can't get on with Miles after about Silent Way and Filles de K either, and the afficionados reckon that's his best work.

Early Genesis. I MUCH prefer them after Gabriel left and Phil Collins took over vocal duties. This apparently is a hanging offence amongst Genesis aficionados.
I just find them boring, posturing, meandering without going anywhere art school ****ery!
Totally agree, I like Peter Gabriel's early solo work but WTF were those hats all about? ****ery indeed
A bit of change is always handy!

Prog rock rattles around in my head before exiting though my nose in an alarming way! ELP????? They needed it!

Opera ( but willing to keep trying with it)
Most Country & Western,
Thrash metal
Rap/dub/garage etc ( although I do think some of M&M's videos are funny & at least a bit clever, even if I can't stand listening to them)
Any X-Factor type product
Theatre/West end stuff like Brightman & Michael Ball et al.
Hmm, quite a bit of negativity there.
To balance that, whilst I don't get opera, I do like quite a bit of Baroque/classical
No C&W but I do like some "Americana" type stuff
Can't stand Rap etc but I do get reggae, Sly & Robbies stuff.
I've still got plenty to listen to & visiting other PFM'ers does open me up to music I haven't heard before, which can be good!
Matt.

Opera ( but willing to keep trying with it)
Most Country & Western,
Thrash metal
Rap/dub/garage etc ( although I do think some of M&M's videos are funny & at least a bit clever, even if I can't stand listening to them)
Any X-Factor type product
Theatre/West end stuff like Brightman & Michael Ball et al.
Hmm, quite a bit of negativity there.
To balance that, whilst I don't get opera, I do like quite a bit of Baroque/classical
No C&W but I do like some "Americana" type stuff
Can't stand Rap etc but I do get reggae, Sly & Robbies stuff.
I've still got plenty to listen to & visiting other PFM'ers does open me up to music I haven't heard before, which can be good!
Matt.

I could have wrote all that myself! We must have similarly good taste!?

QUEEN. Do I need to say anymore...Truly awful.Eninem & Lady gaga.You can bang on how clever they are but I just don't see it.

Did I mention QUEEN?

Most country and western. Especially if it's got pedal steel guitar on it!

I think you are confusing Country music with Country & Western, which is why you probably like Johnny Cash & Bob Dylan but not C&W which is about white sequinned suits & hats & line dancing.
It's a bit like pointing at The Bay City Rollers and saying 'I don't like pop music but Pink Floyd are okay'.

For me it's Frank Zappa, which sounds like cabaret with clever-dick jokes. Like Meatloaf without the sweat.
And Captain Beefheart. Oh how I've tried, but no...I gave up.

Actually, although a lover of Country music, I have trouble with Johnny Cash and the constant chick-chick-a-boom, chick-chick-a-boom, chick-chick-a-boom, which sounds to me like a German Oompah band.

Got to be Radiohead.

A whining pretentious twat with lots of followers who seem to believe that continual hype generates meaning and greatness. You can't even decipher the lyrics, which to all the victims of the hype are supposedly profound, yet none can explain them on a poetic level.

Heavy metal is rubbish too.

advertisement

Back