advertisement

Music you just "don't get"

Very few originals get bettered by other's interpretations. GP is a great singer, his soulful often yearning voice is one of the best in pop music and when blended with Emmylou becomes a thing of rare beauty.

The Stones did really well on Wild Horses, but that is it.

Very few originals get bettered by other's interpretations. GP is a great singer, his soulful often yearning voice is one of the best in pop music and when blended with Emmylou becomes a thing of rare beauty.

was a great singer. :(

Entirely agree... where they got their God-like status from has always been beyond me.

Ha - arrived on site this morning and London Calling, well the one about London or something, was playing over the pa. Coincidence or greater forces at play? Either way I was pleased to note it was still rubbish.

GP is a great singer, his soulful often yearning voice is one of the best in pop music and when blended with Emmylou becomes a thing of rare beauty.

was a great singer. :(

But this thread is asking about the music that "I don't get" .. therefor it's my opinion and not really up for discussion.

It isn't a thread about who I think is crap..and so I didn't say that I thought GP was crap or couldn't sing.Just that I didn't "get"him.

Opera ( but willing to keep trying with it)
Most Country & Western,
Thrash metal
Rap/dub/garage etc ( although I do think some of M&M's videos are funny & at least a bit clever, even if I can't stand listening to them)
Any X-Factor type product
Theatre/West end stuff like Brightman & Michael Ball et al.
Hmm, quite a bit of negativity there.
To balance that, whilst I don't get opera, I do like quite a bit of Baroque/classical
No C&W but I do like some "Americana" type stuff
Can't stand Rap etc but I do get reggae, Sly & Robbies stuff.
I've still got plenty to listen to & visiting other PFM'ers does open me up to music I haven't heard before, which can be good!
Matt.

I'll third that! ALL:p

M

The Who - a potentially alright band scuppered by a too busy bassist, an irritating cock of a drummer, a bellowing singer, and a songwriter who takes himslf waaaay too seriously.
Yeah, OK, there's a few great songs, but they are massively overrated.

here here.

Angie was super too!

I've never got into opera, but I really like sacred music .... Requiems, Carmina Burana etc. I can't figure out why.

There's a bunch of stuff I don't like.

I don't get almost all modern jazz ... musician's music with tremendous technical prowess but bugger all musicality. Musicians' music (and I'm a tenor sax player) For me jazz ended in the 1960s, and even a lot of bebop I don't get.

advertisement

Back