advertisement

Munich show 9th to 12th May 2024

Here's a 10.5 inch SUPATRAC Nighthawk on the Döhmann Helix One in the Cessaro room. I would say this, but nevertheless I vouch, this is probably the most musical, present and veridical system I've ever heard. It's breathtaking. Please forgive the quality of smartphone videos I've found on youtube...

Last edited:
I'm 30 minutes in and losing the will to live. Feels like lots of 'stunt' bass going on.
I have skimmed the first 2h30 and listened in part to all of the demos so far. I thought the YouTube sound quality was splendid, and yes, the demo material does have a wide frequency range, well into the bass in many cases.

However if you perceive "lots of 'stunt' bass" my thought is that the two big possibilities are that lots of the exhibitors are doing it (wrong?), or it's simpler than that and it's really because of something closer to home. Sorry for the thought.

There is indeed a lot of bass in the demo material and it varies here. I thought it all sounded good routed though my main system, and I would describe none of it as 'stunt' bass. A simple explanation could be that my system is imposing its own bass character on the YouTube sound, of course. Or I could take the more optimistic explanation and think that my kit is just being very transparent. I have no idea in reality about which, or maybe it’s somewhere in between.

The amount of times in that 4h30 video where the exhibitor plays music that could run the risk of sounding "ugly" can be counted on one hand.

I lasted 3 hours of the vid and went in and out for the rest. The nearest to my flat earth kit was the Naim demo but the speakers were too toppy. The horn speakers sounded interesting and I don't like ordinary floorstanders, too much wood in the bass/mid. The Fyne speakers sounded like Tannoys, no thanks.

A very interesting vid thanks for posting, there was some classical music too!

We presented the world of TQ for the first time at Munchen.
I had just got over heart surgery . Met some great people and old friends like Max Townend and Nic Poulson.
I would recommend a visit if you can. Oh eat some Curry Wurst lovely.

Pic please. Thanks

I had just got over heart surgery . Met some great people and old friends like Max Townend and Nic Poulson.

Pic please. Thanks

I'm half an hour in to that ridiculously long video.

SQ very good but all I'm really getting from it is that all those big rooms have exactly the same acoustic and irrespective of what system is in there you mostly just get the room acoustic unless the speakers obviously have insufficient bass extension (Harbeth and IAG take note!).

IAG were at least playing a nice bit of Emma Kirkby but most of the music on offer was not anything I recognised apart from Fever by Peggy Lee.

Absolutely fantastic venue though. Why don't we have anything like that in the UK?

I was thinking of making the effort to go. Wish I had now. Makes the Bristol show look like a total PoS.

It would be nice to hear something other than recordings made in the previous century though.

Last edited:
Here's a 10.5 inch SUPATRAC Nighthawk on the Döhmann Helix One in the Cessaro room. I would say this, but nevertheless I vouch, this is probably the most musical, present and veridical system I've ever heard. It's breathtaking. Please forgive the quality of smartphone videos I've found on youtube...

fabulous ... that would make a great hidey hole for my grandson ... he would love it

Pic please. Thanks
bit confused here , didnt dear old Max Townshend die a while back ? :oops:

I'm going to be stating the obvious here but all this talk about what these systems sound like from a You Tube video is bollocks. Maybe some comparative listening but ultimately it's all how it sounds coming through your system.

Steven Wilson / PMC 11.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music system £300,000
48,000 watts & promises frequencies down to 15hz

yudXZGjqZ79Wpd2wZfvqgT-970-80.jpg.webp

Well, that’s day 1 done. What a show, it’s huge and so much to see. Managed to get Atriums 3.1, 4.1 and 1/2 of 4.2 done, will hit the halls tomorrow but they are huge too so doubt we will get through it all.

You need 3-4 days to see it all properly really. Some really stand out gear here, the room acoustics seem pretty good, not like hotel room at the likes of Bristol Marriot etc.

Most of the music is standard Hi-Fi show stuff so quite familiar.

Wilson Audio seems to be the speaker of choice here if you like them. Seen loads of Hi-Fi industry famous faces about.

Definitely 1 for the bucket list (if you are into Hi-Fi)

Had a great time there as always but I think it was one of the worst years I’ve experienced for sound quality and appalling music. I also heard several bad examples of systems using speakers I thought I liked, and several surprisingly good systems using speakers I was sure I hated!

Worst of all, I fell for a horn system!

Most infuriating experience, though, was sitting behind an American web reviewer (I’ve never heard of him but recognised the website on his badge) who bossed around the chap running the room to play exact snippets of tracks he WANTED to hear and video and the exact order he WANTED them in. He spent 15 minutes generally just being a rude, arrogant arsehole.

The poor sod who was on the receiving end simply took it all and did as he was commanded. I had to leave in the end before I said something I might have regretted.

I'm going to be stating the obvious here but all this talk about what these systems sound like from a You Tube video is bollocks. Maybe some comparative listening but ultimately it's all how it sounds coming through your system.
Up to a point but you can get certain things very clearly

Bass extension less good than you're used to
Speakers really misbehaving in an unsuitable room (eg big boom, wrong tonal balance, one note bass etc) or just coloured.
Emphasis of certain elements of the music which your own system doesn't particularly emphasise.
Lack of clarity relative to what you're used to.

Obviously you can't judge the absolute sound quality of the best systems but you can certainly identify a few total mingers and a fair few more non starters.

advertisement

Back