advertisement

Munich show 2022

Well its finally here , the pics are flooding FB , anyone got the privelige of going ?

I am not sure I would call attending a hi-fi show a privilege, more a form of purgatory where you get to see and attempt to listen to hi-fi in far from ideal conditions. I did go to a few shows many years ago and whilst I found the first couple I attended interesting, I soon realised that it was not for me, much in the same way attending a car or any show to be honest is not for me. My advice for people attending is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a bottle of water with you and if you are a leaflet collector, have a shoulder bag or rucksack to put them in. For those that enjoy them, I hope you have a great time there.

Yes not for everyone but once i was at a wilson demo . Big wilsons there and they played some music in a closed demo .my my ...i never knew it could sound so good . Often you do find some absolute nuggets

I haven't been to a show in over 20 years but from my limited experience there not a great environment for listening to music played on unfamiliar equipment. They are good for meeting manufacturers and designers, maybe seeing and hearing equipment that otherwise would remain an unknown. I wouldn't mind having a walk around and looking at all the stuff on exhibition.
From the pics I've seen online from Munich the two most interesting products for me so far would be the Moonriver 505 phonostage and the new Mofi phonostage.

<moderating>

I’ve merged the two threads as the one with the picture links was in the read-only Trade area.

I went through the 80 pages or so of images, as I do every time, and to be honest saw nothing that sparked my interest. The overwhelming trend still seems to be for everything to be huge and imposing, ultra high-mass, and speakers with far, far too many drivers spread over far too large an area. All things I’ve personally rejected. Just not good design or engineering to my mind. Quite depressing really. I’m seeing little if anything ‘new’, its all just ‘more’.

I’m sure there was some stuff tucked away here and there I’d like, and I’d have certainly liked to hear some of the rooms such as OMA and other big horns, plus the handful of mini-monitors here and there. DeVore too, I’m pretty sure his stuff is well in my general ballpark. I suspect the endless rooms full of absurdly massive solid state amps driving simply huge high-mass multi-driver speakers would have given me a headache real fast. Just not me.

Nice to see Fynne making some far more traditional looking speakers, I think the shiny steam-punk things are hideous, but I could certainly imagine their new larger speaker that looks a bit like a Klipsch with its grille on in a normal room.

Jonathan Weiss. He's by now very experienced with the shows, it's nearly 20 years of presenting his limited range of products. Everyone would learn by now how to get the best out of them in any conditions. That said, I like the look of his stuff - never had a chance to hear it. Our US Russian horn friend hates him to the max.

Yes that's the surname, it is the first show he has been at in Europe in 12 years. Well maybe go and hear it and it might soften you out a bit.
Ah not surprised there he is spot on in relation a lot of the political stuff but he seems to have lost the plot a bit on the Hifi stuff. Quad ESLs would be a good example.
Funny really you are polar opposites, you completely off the rails politically and he has lost his way on the Hifi kit. You never know if you met in real life you might be great buddies :D

I went through the 80 pages or so of images, as I do every time, and to be honest saw nothing that sparked my interest. The overwhelming trend still seems to be for everything to be huge and imposing, ultra high-mass, and speakers with far, far too many drivers spread over far too large an area. All things I’ve personally rejected. Just not good design or engineering to my mind. Quite depressing really. I’m seeing little if anything ‘new’, its all just ‘more’.

I’m sure there was some stuff tucked away here and there I’d like, and I’d have certainly liked to hear some of the rooms such as OMA and other big horns, plus the handful of mini-monitors here and there. DeVore too, I’m pretty sure his stuff is well in my general ballpark. I suspect the endless rooms full of absurdly massive solid state amps driving simply huge high-mass multi-driver speakers would have given me a headache real fast. Just not me.

Nice to see Fynne making some far more traditional looking speakers, I think the shiny steam-punk things are hideous, but I could certainly imagine their new larger speaker that looks a bit like a Klipsch with its grille on in a normal room.

The Devores sound really poor to me. A lot of the rooms are really well set up and there was a wide range of smaller systems and speakers. The photos tend to be of the bigger rooms. Harbeth room was very nice for instance and the German man very kindly played whatever you wanted to hear. There was a Ukranian company there and there two speaker systems were very nice. In one room I can't remember the name of the company I thought the larger speakers were playing but it was the smaller stand mounts and the soundstage was huge.

You should try it there is something for everybody and there is plenty of time over two days to get to see what you want.

Yes that's the surname, it is the first show he has been at in Europe in 12 years. Well maybe go and hear it and it might soften you out a bit.
Ah not surprised there he is spot on in relation a lot of the political stuff but he seems to have lost the plot a bit on the Hifi stuff. Quad ESLs would be a good example.
Funny really you are polar opposites, you completely off the rails politically and he has lost his way on the Hifi kit. You never know if you met in real life you might be great buddies :D

I wish I have a chance to hear Oswald Mills works, I'm certainly not that forensic about horns as the mentioned US-Russian friend and his views are irrelevant for me. There's many ways how to skin a cat :p in audio and especially horns. Since my horns are certainly imperfect, I have no right to expect an ultimate perfection from anyone.

"Off the rails politically" sound interesting for me, actually I don't disagree so much with the rest of the forum except that I believe it takes more than one to tango.

For me the best sounds were from these rooms, but many set ups actually sounded a lot better than expected, so difficult to be categoric about one you might have walked in to playing an uninteresting song and no free choice seats.

1. Jadis/Lampizator/Alsyvox system.
2. Keven Scott’s Living Voice system
3. Dan de Agostino/Wilson system
4. Magico system
5. Avantgarde / Wadax System.

I loved the Alsyvox speakers, superb and the balls of the Avantegardes at concert levels were great, less nasal and beaming than the last time I heard them at a show. I also walked in a. few rooms expecting to walk out briskly but left thinking hmm, might actually be okay. The naim small room sounded okay-good on the Friday but very also ran on the Saturday, but it was getting busy at that point

FWIW, my top 5 was as follows:

(1) Kharma. (For about the tenth year running)
(2) Roksan/Monitor Audio. Those Concept 50s were a real surprise
(3) PMC/AVM
(4) Totem
(5) Zensati. Although I suspect it was the equipment making the nice noise and not the £250,000 cable loom...

Honourable mentions:
(a) Living Voice sounded nice whilst I was in there but ten minutes of solo violin was more than enough for me so I didn't hang around to see if they were any good on other material.
(b) Avantgarde Acoustics - turns out they do a brilliant job of banging dance music! Sadly they put some real instruments on after that and normal horn service was resumed so I left very quickly.

Puzzlement of the show:
(1) The Nagra room. It all looked fabulous and it sounded very nice, but how the system managed to make a dub version of UB40's 'One in Ten' sound polite and inoffensive with a pair of six foot tall speakers and two subwoofers was beyond me. I was expecting my eyeballs to rattle and my chest to be thumped to within an inch of its life!

advertisement

Back