advertisement

Munich show 2022

And the new Epos ES14 ?

IMO they were good, direct, involving with good timing.
I forgot the price but its surely too high.

Most places.. large, snake thick cables were on dem, terrible tbh.
Fink/distributor just used some Naim/Linn A4/K20
Refreshing

IMO they were good, direct, involving with good timing.
I forgot the price but its surely too high.

Most places.. large, snake thick cables were on dem, terrible tbh.
Fink/distributor just used some Naim/Linn A4/K20
Refreshing

Yes we noticed that. It looks like I will have to dump my skinny Nordost and other cables and go for the new best sounding cables that seem to be incased into a 60-80mm structure.
Don't forget the cable lifters that appeared to be very visible in various rooms. Was funny as the thick cables were all resting on the floor and on top of each other at the back of the amp but it seems need a bit of lifting as they approach the speaker :D. one could just do a few scrap mdf or plywood squares with a round hole drilled into them to get the same effect!

Like many here the willy waving big bling boxes carved from a massive billet of aluminium and 7 feet tall speakers is just vulgar. As hifi swings further into the oligarch territory, the more absurd and gratuitous it becomes. Wanted to go to the show for years but I don’t think it’s my cuppa now. Prefer a show with modest electronics and living-room friendly speakers.

FWIW, my top 5 was as follows:

(1) Kharma. (For about the tenth year running)
(2) Roksan/Monitor Audio. Those Concept 50s were a real surprise
(3) PMC/AVM
(4) Totem
(5) Zensati. Although I suspect it was the equipment making the nice noise and not the £250,000 cable loom...

Honourable mentions:
(a) Living Voice sounded nice whilst I was in there but ten minutes of solo violin was more than enough for me so I didn't hang around to see if they were any good on other material.
(b) Avantgarde Acoustics - turns out they do a brilliant job of banging dance music! Sadly they put some real instruments on after that and normal horn service was resumed so I left very quickly.

Puzzlement of the show:
(1) The Nagra room. It all looked fabulous and it sounded very nice, but how the system managed to make a dub version of UB40's 'One in Ten' sound polite and inoffensive with a pair of six foot tall speakers and two subwoofers was beyond me. I was expecting my eyeballs to rattle and my chest to be thumped to within an inch of its life!

Yes I agree the Kharma was good, Dont recall the Totem/Zensati. I must admit I have always found the Nagra room disappointing. Given they played a master tape it was distinctly average IMO, it lays seems to be lifeless

Like many here the willy waving big bling boxes carved from a massive billet of aluminium and 7 feet tall speakers is just vulgar. As hifi swings further into the oligarch territory, the more absurd and gratuitous it becomes. Wanted to go to the show for years but I don’t think it’s my cuppa now. Prefer a show with modest electronics and living-room friendly speakers.

Hopefully with the demise of the Oligarch we might have some more nicely styled items to covet. A number of items had laughable engineering integrity

Anyone notice the Diptyque speakers?

This is what I wrote on another forum. " I thought the Diptyque planar speakers were interesting. Not sure of the system but they sounded hard on the ears on the highs. Would be curious to hear them on more forgiving kit as they gave a very large soundstage and looked relatively small compared to my current quad of 63's. A snip at circa 12K!" I went back to the room on the Sunday after hearing them initially on the Saturday as thought they were worth considering. Defo think they have potential. The price is high. I would like to hear them on a valve amp with a good vinyl set up or a decent r2r dac to see if they could really sing.
The highs were the problem but the material and source might be the problem. I asked them a few questions but their English and my French ended the conversation. They were very nice and approachable just a pity about the language barrier. Will keep an eye on them over the coming years to see if they catch on.

Best sounding rooms - Epos , Living Voice , Goebel , Soundspace , Kharma , Western Electric/Spendor
Trends - did not see one CD player
OMA room outstanding

Best sounding rooms - Epos , Living Voice , Goebel , Soundspace , Kharma , Western Electric/Spendor
Trends - did not see one CD player
OMA room outstanding

There was a few, noticed a triangular both at MOC (Gryphon) and at hifideluxe by the Marriot hotel in Swabing.

New Project RPM12 Direct Drive £6k , Signature 12

283889161_2355064301299188_2488298441752951351_n.jpg

blob

c3-c-4b05-9461-b2f9f7697739-scaled-jpeg.76252

advertisement

Back