advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheffield looks to be a very good, well-coached side. As with Everton last week, can see them surprising a number of teams this year.

Good to see LFC score from open play, even if it did involve a terrible bit of goalkeeping. Mané and Salah again missed chances they normally make, but the buildup play and effort level continues to be strong. Have a feeling that when their goals finally come, they’ll come in large numbers.

Have a thought on a rule change involving diving and protesting.

Just watched Brighton's young midfielder Alzate get booked for diving, and deservedly so versus Chelsea.

But earlier in the half, Mount went down in the penalty box. It was deemed a stumble, and I agreed. But then Mount looked up at the referee and raised both arms, protesting for a call. IMO, the new rule should be that protesting for a foul in the penalty box when there was none is tantamount to diving, and should be treated as such.

In fact, other than the Captain, no player should be allowed to protest a ref's call in any fashion. The league should also penalize the constant and ridiculous arms raised for possession each time a ball goes out of bounds. Maybe not a yellow, but how about automatic loss of possession? These and other antics used to try and influence the refs do absolutely nothing for the game.

Last edited:
STOP THE PRESS - clean sheet at Stamford Bridge.:eek:

About time too. It was great to watch the game. In the first half Chelsea had so many chances and took 19 shots, but unbelievably didn't score until they got a penalty and Jorgihno slotted the ball in.

This was a pointed reminder to Barkley not to barge into the penalty takers line-up. One of the commentators said the occasional England player fiddles around with the ball far too much and holds up play, instead of just getting shot of it. Christensen and him can be lacklustre, even if they are in their national sides.

The second goal, by Willian, was excellent. It is the first he has scored for a long time, even though he lays on chances for others. The build-up to it and passing was fast and accurate.

Mount, Tammy Abraham and Callum Hudson-Odoi, to name but a few, have made a big difference to Chelsea and the old guard will be gradually edged out.

Frank Lampard has sharpened Chelsea into an openly attacking team, which makes a change from all of the faffing about that went on under Sarri and Conte.

I used to think it would be good for Chelsea to buy Kane. Now we don't need him. Tammy Abraham has scored more this season than the Spurs clodhopper.

Jack

The players you mention will get most attention but I'm beginning to think the real star of the show might just be Tomori at centre back.

True. Tomori is definitely one of the stars and it is great to have him in defence. He sometimes goes too far upfield and has to race back, which could go wrong at some point. Mind you he scored a cracker of a goal against Wolves.

Jack

Pickford was at fault for the second goal.... couldn't believe he was laughing later when he nearly gifted City a fourth.
City and LFC to battle it out then this season it seems, it might all depend on the head to head games and who City buy in the winter window to strengthen their defensive line?

it might all depend on the head to head games and who City buy in the winter window to strengthen their defensive line?
I wonder how long it will be before the City owners look at what's going on at Chelsea and suggest to cheque book Pep that he should be integrating some of the academy youngsters into the 1st team squad?

I wonder how long it will be before the City owners look at what's going on at Chelsea and suggest to cheque book Pep that he should be integrating some of the academy youngsters into the 1st team squad?

HAHAHAHAHA... good one, Webby. ;):D

Good point, we've sold too many young players in the past, we have got buy backs on a lot of them, but it would be better if we played some more of them.

They are doing better than this time last season and that was with the genius that was Rafa at the helm.

Man Utd vs Arsenal. I used to look forward to these games. A bit irrelevant now except to see whether OGS will make it to Xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back