advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing football the Mourinho way....

Just 3 games in and it’s already

Mind the gap!

I might have to rethink my earlier prediction.

Christmas is a long way off, he might not reach it.

Where were you yesterday, Bob?.. still prefer to critique United over City? Tonight saw Mourinho open up with the three at the back that I called for pre season, and it proved why Mourinho and LVG have sacrificed the team going forward to pretect the poor defence. The quick fire goals did for United after a bright and attacking start which hasn’t been seen since Fergie. Sadly Mourinho didn’t get to throw 300m at the defence like Pep, and it shows. He should have been allowed to buy better defenders, but now United have to make do, which is shocking for a club valued a 3.2 billion.

Maureen's press conference was a blast. He wants more respect and he's damn well going to stamp his feet until he gets it.

tl:dr - start from 5.58

Reactions: vuk
Only while MU are seen as winners. Most of that value is brand and Asians don't like to support underdogs

I think you underestimate United somewhat. United are more than just Asian supporters, they were ahead of Madrid financially before Beckham went there and opened up their brand to make them the richest club in the world temporarily. Bill Shankly once said when Liverpool were the dominant force and United hadn't won the league for over 15 years, that ''if that team up the road get it right, then we are in big trouble!''. United have been the richest club in the world for a long time, overtaken occasionally, but they normally rise to the top again. All done without a sugar daddy, or being subsidised by the Spanish government. Winning or not, the reach of United's pull is still there, unfortunately its being run by owners who are only interested in taking money out of the club, leaving enough to pay bills and service the debt. If pay per view ever becomes singularly in control to each club, then United will really begin to extend their financial muscle, and their value will soar even further.

The ref should have broken out the yellow card much earlier, because the fouls on Hazard were appalling. He was often surrounded by four of five Newkie players, who tried to hem him in. When they couldn't, they would kick him.

After Newcastle equalized one of the commentators asked what the score would be if VAR was being used. I reckon it would have been 0 - 1 to Chelsea.

The penalty Chelsea got at first seemed questionable, but was based on the Newkie player's follow through boot on Alonso.

There was no mistake about Yedlin's foul on Giroud though, just before Newcastle's goal. The Newkie player openly elbowed the Frenchman in the face. The ref didn't blow his whistle. VAR would have resulted in a foul and no Newkie goal.

It's appalling VAR isn't being used in the Premier League. It would be good if they had a vote to change this in January.

Other than that Newcastle are dirty, bullying twats and deserved to lose.

Jack

well, couldn't expect you to say anything nice about the opposing side, could we.. :D

well, couldn't expect you to say anything nice about the opposing side, could we.. :D

I wouldn't want to judge Newcastle because Chelsea did pretty much the same last season when they went to the half empty council house.
The only difference being that Newcastle were playing at home and frankly I think their paying supporters deserve a lot more than watching the team stick
10 players behind the ball in the hope of frustrating the opposition and winning a point.

I wouldn't want to judge Newcastle because Chelsea did pretty much the same last season when they went to the half empty council house.
The only difference being that Newcastle were playing at home and frankly I think their paying supporters deserve a lot more than watching the team stick
10 players behind the ball in the hope of frustrating the opposition and winning a point.

yep, I didn't see the game, but the consensus of the local football facebook pages were that we'd get stuffed 0-4 so, wasn't entirely surprised at out tactics...

it's going to be a long season for us :( just as long as we stay up as sunderland should get promoted from league 1...

Frankly I was surprised that Newcastle got over the half way line,let alone score a goal. Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City are three teams with the players to play in front off and around defenses so usually teams that set out to defend get undone. If you set out expecting to get beat the chances are you will get beat anyway. Just sometimes the bigger sides can come unstuck if they are attacked.

Saw an article which said that at the weekend Jorginho had more touches on the ball than the whole Newcastle team combined.

Interesting article. The suggestion that Chelsea's stadium should be called The Roman Colosseum when it is redeveloped made me laugh.

"Whatever his flaws as the most impatient employer, Abramovich is a football fan's dream," says the journalist.

Sometimes things go wrong, like when we bought Shevchenko, but Roman just shrugs, buys another player and gets shot of the problem.

The English government, their lackey press and broadcasters, hate Russia and Abramovich. This is no big deal for the club though, even if Roman sells us.

"So what if Roman Abramovich sells? It doesn't matter who owns Chelsea. Not any more. Not these days. Abramovich's work is pretty much done. He has elevated his football club until it stands among the biggest in the world."

I hope he stays with Chelsea. It's good to be owned by a communist.

Jack

Last edited:
Shameful!
Crowing about a club being owned by a Russian Mafia gangster sidekick of Putin who used Chelsea to launder millions.

Are you sure you didn't read that on post #152?

No way, got it from Ruud Gullit on the BBC. Would have said so, but wasn't sure I could spell his name!

Chelsea enjoyed 81% of possession in their 2-1 Premier League win over Newcastle at St James' Park.

Blues midfielder Jorginho completed more passes - 158 - than the whole of the Newcastle team combined.

But for all that time on the ball, Chelsea did not do very much. They managed only three shots on target - one more than Newcastle - and ultimately needed a fortunate own goal to take three points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45317675

Classic Jack.

Yesterday it was;

"This claim (that Chelsea is up for sale) is about as reliable as the non-stop accusations that Corbyn is an antisemite in the Torygraph."

Today it is;
"So what if Roman Abramovich sells? It doesn't matter who owns Chelsea. Not any more. Not these days. Abramovich's work is pretty much done.
Jack

I have been following my team for 73 years( Hitler kept the gates shut before then ) and had Simon Jordan for a spell who knows much less about the game than he thinks and he royally balls up things at Selhurst.
I suspect that supporters take who they get as owners and If I was a Chelsea fan I would be more offended by electric fence Ken Bates than I am by Abramovich . Cannot be arsed about the jealousy between teams although I wish he spent some of his money on my team!

I have been following my team for 73 years( Hitler kept the gates shut before then ) and had Simon Jordan for a spell who knows much less about the game than he thinks and he royally balls up things at Selhurst.
I suspect that supporters take who they get as owners and If I was a Chelsea fan I would be more offended by electric fence Ken Bates than I am by Abramovich . Cannot be arsed about the jealousy between teams although I wish he spent some of his money on my team!

If Chelsea is sold off, it will be to some people with access to loads of lolly. Most poorer clubs have fans who decry this situation where 'he who spends wins', but would kiss the arse off an Abramovich type owner. I would.

If Chelsea is sold off, it will be to some people with access to loads of lolly. Most poorer clubs have fans who decry this situation where 'he who spends wins', but would kiss the arse off an Abramovich type owner. I would.
Which is basically what Martin Samuel was saying in the Daily Mail article although for some odd reason you seemed to think it was Jack.:confused:

Which is basically what Martin Samuel was saying in the Daily Mail article although for some odd reason you seemed to think it was Jack.:confused:

I never mentioned Jack in relation to this point. It's just a thought that occurred to me, don't read the DM, no idea who M Samuel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back