advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you see two significant deflections, a goalkeeping howler and a handball in a buildup produce four goals - you’ve got to think Klopp may have trodden in the right stuff. It’s theirs to lose, good luck to them they are great to watch.

Don’t be fooled. This LFC fan certainly won’t be. Their run of luck is bound to desert them just as their fans finally begin to think they can win the league. City to win on goal difference/by one point.

The Speroni howler was bizarre, can't imagine what he was trying to do

I was gutted for him. It was his first game since 2017 I think. There have been many occasions when he should have played, because Hennessey has been erratic at times, hence the efforts to find a new keeper. Speroni wasn't letting anyone down when he was dropped, just getting older. The long layoff didn't help and Liverpool away isn't the one you would want first game back. He'll always be a legend at the club, the mess we are in replacement wise is not his fault.

Very civilised in here the past few days, and barely a sniff of offside or diving. ;)

Anyways, here is the list of shirt sponsors in the Premier League that shows Man U at the top being sponsored by Chevrolet. Now it appears that in the UK you can only buy a Camaro or 3 types of Corvette, so what is the payback on that? o_O https://www.statista.com/statistics...ships-in-the-barclays-premier-league-by-club/

Global brand, me'old China. If United were a provincial club, then yes, but there aren't many bigger global brands in world sport, never mind football.

Higuain is in London apparently. He didn't meet the 12.45 signing deadline, so he can't play against Spurs in the League Cup semi-final tomorrow night.

He's different from Giroud and the outgoing Morata, so I'm glad we've got him. However the stars aren't properly aligned. Sarri will be gone within a year, if Higuain doesn't score plenty of goals. Marina Granovskaia, the director overseeing transfers, isn't forgiving, as Mourinho and Conte can attest.

Jack

Higuain is in London apparently. He didn't meet the 12.45 signing deadline, so he can't play against Spurs in the League Cup semi-final tomorrow night.

He's different from Giroud and the outgoing Morata, so I'm glad we've got him. However the stars aren't properly aligned. Sarri will be gone within a year, if Higuain doesn't score plenty of goals. Marina Granovskaia, the director overseeing transfers, isn't forgiving, as Mourinho and Conte can attest.

Jack
When Sarri arrived I was quite optimistic but his insistence in playing our two best players out of position and automatic selection of Jorginho regardless of how crap he is has left me somewhat disillusioned.
He's turning out to be little better than Scolari Mk2 and we all know what happened to him.
The way the club is run at the moment is utterly shambolic with key decisions being made by people who know nothing about football.
The signing of Higuain smacks of desperation and I'm finding it difficult to get excited about a player who is at least two years past his prime.
It all reminds a little of Mourinho who had a habit of re-signing players that had been important to him at previous clubs.

Interesting seeing this Salford City thing growing in impetus with Beckham also joining the show today.

Never realised just how well they've done in the previous 3 seasons and now lie 3rd in the 5th tier, maybe league football next year.

How far can they go? How long will the interest last?

I'm now thinking they are gaining more pulling power re. signing players and possibly have financial resources of a match or more to many a 2nd and 1st division outfit plus a fair smattering of Championship sides.

Makes me even more angry when Everton sign another useless gobshite nobody has ever heard of :D

Kamara arrested at Fulham training ground following a fight - possibly linked to him having a falling out with Mitrovic during a squad Yoga session....
A club source said: “Yoga is meant to be about strengthening the body and channeling energy and finding Shanti - or peace."
Hmmm, I see :)

Interesting seeing this Salford City thing growing in impetus with Beckham also joining the show today.

Never realised just how well they've done in the previous 3 seasons and now lie 3rd in the 5th tier, maybe league football next year.

How far can they go? How long will the interest last?

I'm now thinking they are gaining more pulling power re. signing players and possibly have financial resources of a match or more to many a 2nd and 1st division outfit plus a fair smattering of Championship sides.

Makes me even more angry when Everton sign another useless gobshite nobody has ever heard of :D

Financial doping.

Shocking!

I hope the BBC are busy with plans for a new 28 part documentary about this.

It’ll be to replace the ginger pig who will have to leave if he takes the Oldham manager’s position and Salford get promoted.

The way the club is run at the moment is utterly shambolic with key decisions being made by people who know nothing about football.
The signing of Higuain smacks of desperation and I'm finding it difficult to get excited about a player who is at least two years past his prime.
It all reminds a little of Mourinho who had a habit of re-signing players that had been important to him at previous clubs.

I kind of agree with you. The now signed Higuain thinks differently though.

Higuain, who will wear the number nine shirt, said: ‘When the opportunity to join Chelsea presented itself I had to take it. It’s a team I’ve always liked that has a lot of history, a wonderful stadium and they play in the Premier League, a league I’ve always wanted to play in.

"‘I now hope I can give back that trust Chelsea have shown me out on the pitch. I can’t wait to start and I hope to adapt as soon as possible.’

Director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘Gonzalo was our number one target in this transfer window and arrives with a proven record at the highest level. He has previously worked with Maurizio to great effect and is familiar with how the coach likes to play.

"‘This was not an easy deal for us to do because of the numerous parties involved, but we are delighted we were able to make it happen and we look forward to seeing the impact Gonzalo will make for us in the second half of the season.’

In theory we should run Spurs ragged tonight, because people like Kane and Son aren't playing. But given our woeful performance against the Arses the other day, I'm not counting on it.

Jack

Blimey, we're 29th in the list and 13th highest English club

From the Brighton Argus site... https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17380300.albion-in-deloitte-football-money-league-for-first-time/

Albion’s breakthrough into the top 30 is highlighted by Deloitte.

In the accompanying report, Deloitte partner Dan Jones said: “Brighton and Hove Albion join Besiktas in breaking into the top 30 for the first time in 2017/18 in 29th position on £139.4 million following their promotion to the top tier of English football for the first time since 1983.

“This represents astounding growth for a club that generated just £1.1 million back in 1987/87 as the 83rd highest revenue generating club in the UK, whilst teetering on the brink of relegation from the English Football League.”

Financial doping.

Shocking!

I hope the BBC are busy with plans for a new 28 part documentary about this.

It’ll be to replace the ginger pig who will have to leave if he takes the Oldham manager’s position and Salford get promoted.
Ginger pig?... you really are a class act, eh, Bob? As you said, he will replace Scholes on the board, so also answers your question about financial doping.

‘Gonzalo was our number one target in this transfer window

and doesn't that just say it all about how the club is being run!
He might be rubbish for the rest of the season and then depart in the summer OR he might score loads of goals and help the team qualify for the CL next season and then depart in the summer.
We both know that if he has a major impact Chelsea won't offer him a long enough deal to tempt him to stay.
We've got away with this sort of mickey mouse management in the past because we had a team with half a dozen world class players - now we have only two and the likelihood is that at least one of those will be off in the summer.
Not good:(

We've got away with this sort of mickey mouse management in the past because we had a team with half a dozen world class players - now we have only two and the likelihood is that at least one of those will be off in the summer.
Not good:(

A mate of mine who supports Spurs said exactly the same thing last night. I batted his comment away, but unfortunately it's true. It will remain like this as long as we win trophies. I can't see the latter continuing though. Just hope Sarri and the team come through.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back