advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread part II

'A bit of luck' ? West Ham first goal denied for incorrect offside decision. A debatable first penalty. West Ham denied a second by fingertips of de Gea. And another penalty. West Ham deserved at least a draw.
lol... yep!

I'm a season ticket holder at St Mirren who got promoted from the championship last season. A big fish came along ,Sunderland and swallowed our manager. In steps Alan Stubbs breaks up the championship team replacing them with reserve team players from league 1 and 2 plus none league players from down south. Early on it was plain to see these players were right out their depth. Bye bye Alan Stubs hello Oran Kearney from Coleraine Northern Ireland at last a breath of fresh air. January window 16 Alan Stubbs signings out 10 new players in. Oran is trying the great escape to keep us in the premiership and might just pull it off. At least the season is ending with meaningful games. Be warned UK football fans don't let Alan Stubbs anywhere near your club, nice man but no leader.

The Anfield Iron, first player I ever saw when I went to Anfield with my Dad for Keegan's debut early 70's.
He didn't do the glamour thing and was from a generation who played 60+ games every season with Cortisone injections to counter knee injuries. I appreciate his 'style' of play wouldn't have a place in the modern game (though most teams at the time had a guy like him) but he was totally commited to the club and management. Sad to hear the news and especially that he passed in a sheltered care home where he lived for 4 years since losing his wife. RIP

4CA1A41C00000578-5772791-Tommy_Smith_and_Ian_Callaghan_after_winning_the_European_Cup_in_-a-36_1527274738473.jpg

Only just read about his comments about black players and treatment of team mate Howard Gayle - absolutely disgusting. A good player but a poor human being.

No RIP from me.

Most games have incidents that cause arguments among fans but watching game highlights from Saturday. Knockeart made a tackle which was obvious and nobody could complain about the red card. Yet in the Fulham -Everton game Gomes put in a very late premeditated and ankle busting tackle on Mitrovic( which could have been career ending) and sneaked away without a booking only suffering a guilty look.

Why the fourth official cannot have input on these incidents is beyond me.

Most games have incidents that cause arguments among fans but watching game highlights from Saturday. Knockeart made a tackle which was obvious and nobody could complain about the red card. Yet in the Fulham -Everton game Gomes put in a very late premeditated and ankle busting tackle on Mitrovic( which could have been career ending) and sneaked away without a booking only suffering a guilty look.

Why the fourth official cannot have input on these incidents is beyond me.
The Gomes tackle was more subtle (sly even), he didn’t carry on through the tackle so made look like he’d just put his foot down near the play with ball already hooked away by Mitrovic. He’s going to be pulled up for retrospectively by the sounds of things which should be standard practice whether the ref has booked them or not.

Knockeart’s tackle was so obvious - he’d lost his head and jumped 2 footed into the player and there was no one else around so an easy one to spot. Brighton should be able to fine him a months wage as that could end up costing them their premier league status. You could even make out his team mate Duffy saying F’off to him as went past him.

Palace are a bit in and out with their form but without Sakho and Tomkins at the back they are vulnerable and City will expect to wipe out the memory of the Etihad game, hopefully with respect to Liverpool they will give it a go.

ps.... do not trip up Palace players!

Funny, I’m expecting our title aspirations to be buried today. City to win, LFC to draw with Chelsea.

I have felt this way about LFC for several league matches and yet, somehow, they continue to win.

Palace always plays tough at home, so City will need a solid effort to win. Still expect that to happen though.

LFC's day may be determined by their midfield lineup. Fabhino, Henderson, and Keita gives them the most scoring chances, but would not be surprised if Fabhino, Milner and Wijnaldum start, with Gini shadowing Hazard. The latter lineup lowers the odds of a loss, but raises the odds of a draw. As LFC needs to win all five of their last matches to have a shot at the title, I hope Klopp rolls the dice and goes all out for early goals. He can also then more easily start Milner and Wijnaldum in the second leg versus Porto on Wednesday.

He may have done for all you know.. are you going to try and justify his racist attitude too, that was mentioned earlier, in the same churlish manner, Myles?
Nope. But classy work pulling some random dirt out on a dead guy. I wonder if people will be doing the same when you go?

Nope. But classy work pulling some random dirt out on a dead guy. I wonder if people will be doing the same when you go?

I asked the question after the racism... but you didn't query that, nor did you question their attitude for posting that did you? It would seem that your integrity is no better than mine, according to your 'standard-meter'.

I asked the question after the racism... but you didn't query that, nor did you question their attitude for posting that did you? It would seem that your integrity is no better than mine, according to your 'standard-meter'.
No, you asked whether he had been done for benefit fraud - knowing all the while that he had. You can't compare my moral compass to your low measure, just because I won't gleefully snipe at the dead.

FYI, I came in at the end of this thread. Surely the default position on Smith's racist attitude is disgust - I don't need to state anything unless I think otherwise.

advertisement

Back