advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Celtic were quite good during the last century ...

Chelsea have got one Scottish player. He is Islam Feruz and was born in Somalia.

The 21-year-old centre forward came to us from Celtic in 2011. He has never played in the 1st team.

Jack

Apologies for being ignorant of the game you are talking about (Feyenoord perhaps)... but wouldn't they be the joint first?
Ever a pedant.

Aye sorry yes your right.

I was at that game as an eleven year old and Feyenoord deserved to win they were the better team on the night.

A few points here, you fail to understand. The MLS may be getting better, but it's on the back of some excellent old players enjoying the twilight of their career. David Villa went there when his legs couldn't keep up in Spain.

The FIFA rankings suggest differently, The USA are in 26th, behind Wales, Northern Ireland, and England. Not a rationalisation, but a fact based on coefficients of teams played and results. Canada are in 95th, below the Faroe Islands. As I said, your calibration on the definition of world class may be in need of realignment.

You still fail to explain why a player allegedly 'world class' has chosen to hide his lights under a bushel and play in such a backwater as Toronto FC.

I suggest that you as any good Mancunian would say 'Give yer head a wobble'.

The rankings aren't important. It's more about team chemistry and momentum heading to Russia next year. The US has not had a single loss since Bruce Arena returned to the helm, and as Vuk mentioned, the CONCACAF Gold Cup was won without many of our best players (Pulisic, Brooks, Johnson, Yedlin, etc.).

Am not much of a nationalist, just an ordinary football fan, and I honestly think the US team has a good shot at matching or beating their 2014 showing.

And as far as the MLS goes, it goes without saying that overall it pales compared to the European leagues. But Toronto and several other teams are still a lot of fun to watch. And it is obvious to even the most casual observer that the best MLS club of the future is Minnesota United FC. Go Loons!

Celtic would be mid table at the very best. Given a few years in the Prem they would get more money in and build a better side but never get into the top four.

You can never say never. These days success in football is largely down to having owners with money to burn. PSG have spent £400m in THIS transfer window! Celtic in the EPL would have a lot of appeal to rich Middle East investors because it is a world wide brand with supporters in every corner of the globe , it's rich history esp on the European stage, the way it is managed and it's iconic jersey. Moguls buy football clubs to gain respectability and increase brand awareness, Celtic can provide these requirements in spades.

With half the money spent on Chelsea we would easily make the top 4.

You can never say never. These days success in football is largely down to having owners with money to burn. PSG have spent £400m in THIS transfer window! Celtic in the EPL would have a lot of appeal to rich Middle East investors because it is a world wide brand with supporters in every corner of the globe , it's rich history esp on the European stage, the way it is managed and it's iconic jersey. Moguls buy football clubs to gain respectability and increase brand awareness, Celtic can provide these requirements in spades.

Celtic are a recognisable brand that would appeal to middle eastern investors in the right circumstances however the investors don't always get it right as the comedy going on at Man City shows that you cannot polish a turd!

Celtic are a recognisable brand that would appeal to middle eastern investors in the right circumstances however the investors don't always get it right as the comedy going on at Man City shows that you cannot polish a turd!

You can't talk. Remember F.C United of Manchester - nice scarves though. When did Utd fans stop wanting the Glazers to GTF for raising money to pay off their own debts on the assets of Utd?

that does seem to have been forgotten together with the £500M+ spent in the recent past... must say the money kills it for me these days tbh

Great, another Minnesota United fan! Welcome, and go Loons!

There's only one UTD from Manchester England they play football NOT soccer!

Yeah, Manchester United is not a bad football club. I can see how some may even prefer them over a brand new MLS expansion team.

I do prefer our ticket prices. Cost me $20 to watch us crush a veteran squad from DC last month. Best news is that we are only one win away from vaulting out of the basement and into 9th place in the MLS west conference!

Should you ever change your mind, there is always room for one more on our ever growing bandwagon. Go Loons!

that does seem to have been forgotten together with the £500M+ spent in the recent past... must say the money kills it for me these days tbh

The Glazers are a bunch of t***s but it is bums on seats that got UTD where they are today.

The Glazers are a bunch of t***s but it is bums on seats that got UTD where they are today.

Didnae stop them from being relegated though did it?

Celtic have never been relegated.

Least we have a bit of humility and don't ever forget where we come from, no prawn sandwich brigade at Celtic park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back