advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle beat Huddersfield twice last season. Looks like we are going to lose to them today. Go figure (or similar) Mr. Ashley.

Our start summed up nicely :
giphy.gif

Good result today. Not an easy watch, Spurs played well, all the action in our half, but that seemed to be the plan.

Christensen was excellent in the middle of the back three

Alonso had a great game all round, not just his goals

Morata quiet, but then the ball didn't get up to him very often

Vertonghen's tackle on Moses much worse than Cahill's red card last week. Dier's tackle about the same.

Kind of amazed we won. We scored not just for ourselves, but for Spurs as well. Watched the game in a pub and our own goal idiot, Batshuayi, got called every swearword in the bad language dictionary.

Morata wasn't really on form. Early on in a free position near the goal, he put a straightforward header way past the post. On another occasion he sprinted past a Spurs player down the touchline and doubled back. Unfortunately his pass into the penalty box was intercepted. Like I said it wasn't his day.

It wasn't Willian's either, although he had a shot which rattled the left hand post. He did a number of dribbling runs but failed to pass the ball on at the right time. Babayoko though was impressive defending, and hassling the ball upfield, during his debut. Thought he was great, although he has to be careful about fouls.

Alonso scored the goals which won us the game. The first was a pretty amazing free kick from outside the penalty area. He hit a dipping ball into the top right hand corner of the goal. The Spurs wall jumped and Lloris sailed through the air after it, but they didn't have a chance. It was a cracker.

During the second goal Alonso ran down the left hand side of the pitch into the area and hit the ball under Lloris' body into the goal. The keeper is Spurs captain and he really should have saved it. Bet he's not too happy.

We could win the Premier League again this year. Conte says in The Metro he would like to stay in charge until at least the new stadium is built in 2022. Cool.

Jack

As the scum ****fest reaches fever pitch they should remember that they won their first 4 games last season.
Then they played the first decent team they faced and were played off the pitch.

I seem to recall that Abu Dhabi City won their first 10 games of last season with many hailing Pep as the new Messiah. Then they ran into Celtic & the wheels fell off. They subsequently failed to win anything.

Although they have finally shed a lot of dead wood this Summer; Navas, Clichy, Zabaleta, Nolito, Fernando, and Kolarov amongst others, I expect the sheikhs will be hoping that the latest quarter billion spent will secure more of a return than the last lot did and that people will finally be persuaded to come & watch. :D

Kind of amazed we won. We scored not just for ourselves, but for Spurs as well. Watched the game in a pub and our own goal idiot, Batshuayi, got called every swearword in the bad language dictionary.
Jack

Funnily enough I had quite a good feeling before the game yesterday. Contrawise I had a bad feeling before Burnley. Just call me Mystic Smeg.

Batshuayi is not my favourite player by some way, he was a such liability last week (me and those around me had our bad language dictionary out and well thumbed), but on this occassion I'm not sure he was at fault. There was a Spurs shaped thing behind him ready for an easy nod in, so he had to get something on the ball and hope for the best. Unfortunately, he got the worst.

Christensen was excellent in the middle of the back three.

More like a back six!
Fair play to Conte his tactics worked and his celebration for the second goal was priceless.
Alonso did rather well.
Jenas made some good points on Motd re Spurs lack of penetration down the flanks...missing Rose and Walker? Or merely current incumbents should have done better.

Spurs were rubbish. Without time and space, Dele Alli struggles. Same for Eriksen and his dead ball deliveries into the box were woeful yesterday. Kane got zero service. Lloris was awful. They're going to need to make a lot of improvements if they're to get anywhere this season. It's no good having the ball for the entire game if you have nothing to offer in the final third. Chelsea side was mediocre too.

More like a back six!
Fair play to Conte his tactics worked and his celebration for the second goal was priceless.
Alonso did rather well.
Jenas made some good points on Motd re Spurs lack of penetration down the flanks...missing Rose and Walker? Or merely current incumbents should have done better.

But that's always been the case. Last season much was made of Chelsea's 3-4-3 system, but when we didn't have the ball, which was most of the time, that was 5-4-1.

Yesterday the tactic was very much to let the opposition have the ball, but that's a tactic that Conte has used for the last 12 months, the only change was putting Luiz in to make a 3 man defensive midfield. (though I don't think the tactic was to let them have quite so much of the ball, or let them have it quite so close to our goal) The plan came a little undone as we dropped deeper and deeper and Luiz ended up, as you say, in what became a back six at times. You could see Conte furiously trying to get his players further up the pitch.

Chelsea were not at their best yesterday, but we were without several key players due to suspension (compare and contrast Cahill's challenge with Dier's and Vertoghen's!!) and injury. What was pleasing was the way we dug in and ground out a result. We were also unlucky not to come back from a shocking first half and get a point in last week's game.

Next week against Everton will be edgy, but the International break will do us a favour and we'll start to pick up after that, let's hope neither of the Manks are out of sight by then.

UEFA have released their rankings based on last season's results and
Celtic find themselves 64th in the list, just behind Everton in 63rd and Inter Milan in 59th.

We'll do better this season!

PS these are based on winning a domestic treble and a decent showing in the Champions League group stages.

PPS Ranjurs (who are on the verge of disintegration again) came in 304th :D

UEFA have released their rankings based on last season's results and

We'll do better this season!

PS these are based on winning a domestic treble and a decent showing in the Champions League group stages.

PPS Ranjurs (who are on the verge of disintegration again) came in 304th :D
Leicester City appear to be both 56th and 62nd. So the figures may well be a bit ropey.

Chelsea are thinking about buying Jamie Vardy before the transfer window shuts. Also Oxlade-Chamberlain has told Wenger he won't sign a new deal with the Arses.

Conte says in the Metro that his new signing Babayoko had an fantastic performance against Spurs. Apart from a couple of stupid fouls, I'd agree with that.

He also thinks Luiz is a top notch dude.

"I think David played very well, it was an amazing performance," said Conte.

"He played with great spirit and personality. I think he was a real point of
reference for the other players.

"Don’t forget that we played with four new players from last season. When you change two players like Luiz and Cahill and replace with young players like Christensen and Rudiger - it was only his second appearance – then it’s not easy."

As long as we muller the London and Manc clubs this season, I'll be happy. We also need to finish in the top four.

I have yet to be convinced by Rudiger, but we'll see what happens.

Jack

Vardy would be a good buy for any club especially Chelski with the current selection of cloggers that they have to choose from!

Vardy would be a good buy for any club especially Chelski with the current selection of cloggers that they have to choose from!

Not sure about buying Vardy. He only scored 14 goals in the League and Europe last season. We could do with somebody better than him.

Jack

He would score more if he played for you lot.

Not so sure. Vardy needs to play in a two up front, Chelsea play with one up front, and I'm not sure Vardy, good a player as he undoubtedly is, is a one up front, take it, keep it, lay it off, type on player. He's a play on the front foot, on the shoulder of the defender type of player, not a back to goal player

Conte liked a 3-5-2 in Italy, if he went to that again then Vardy would fit, but then we have Batshuayi who can do that play on the front foot job. Batshuayi would thrive in a two up front, but is struggling because he does not fit the back to goal way we play now (i.e. he can't keep hold of the f***ing ball). If we change the way we play he will fit perfectly and we won't need Vardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back