advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack, why don't Chelsea start playing the youth more often?.. you've had some cracking players come through your academy, and look good when loaned out.

I agree. At least they get playing experience on loan, when they aren't quite good enough to clinch a regular first team place.

Jack

On the text message issue, Conte sent all players a message saying 'enjoy break and come back fit' and Costa sent back a 'jokey' response (!!). It seems Costa has reacted to Conte's reply. Interesting that Costa has not seen fit to publish the offending text.

Exactly. Costa is mugging himself off, which I think is a real shame.

Jack

I agree. At least they get playing experience on loan, when they aren't quite good enough to clinch a regular first team place.

Jack

I also think we have a problem in our policy towards managers. Managers, even if they win the title one season are likely to get sacked the next. In such circumstances, where goals are very short term, what choice does any manger, no matter how good, have but to go for tried, trusted and experienced players. What incentive is there to take a risk with a younger player? I do hope that Chelsea's selection problems will see Boga and Christensen get their chance in the next couple of games, both look classy.

Paddy Roberts who was on the bench for Man City earlier this week has chosen to come to Celtic for a another one year loan deal. He was chased by the likes of Nice and Southampton, but realised the most rewarding place to be was at Celtic Park. Celtic fans love him to bits.

When I was having my early morning cuppa, there was a football focus replay from 1976, Chelsea were playing Blackpool.. and halfway through the match, I was surprised to hear The Shed start singing 'You'll never walk alone'.

Was a great interview after the match too with Peter Suddaby and Ian Briton.. he was a good little player. I do miss the old days.

I also think we have a problem in our policy towards managers. Managers, even if they win the title one season are likely to get sacked the next. In such circumstances, where goals are very short term, what choice does any manger, no matter how good, have but to go for tried, trusted and experienced players. What incentive is there to take a risk with a younger player?

Yeah that is true and unfortunate.

Jack

Looks like Man City are relentlessly trying to sign the great Jonny Evans he's a steady player a squad member at best for most clubs, but he will be an improvement to what they already have as a centre half.

Would just like to say jolly well done to the Arses for playing to well against Stoke. Keep taking the Wenger tablets, they are obviously good for you.

Jack

As the scum ****fest reaches fever pitch they should remember that they won their first 4 games last season.
Then they played the first decent team they faced and were played off the pitch.

Last season Man United were still well below par, and the first four games flattered United, even though they went on to win trophies and qualify for the Champions League. This season they are a completely different animal, strong, quick, decisive and more important, confident. The two results thus far haven't flattered United, and with the way they are keeping the ball it tires teams to the point where the last twenty minutes become a struggle, and gaps open up, which United have taken full advantage of. As Mourinho has said, he now looks forward to a real challenge to test this team.

How many club's fans stick up banners in support of LGBT pride day. I can only think of one.

Reckon you mean Newcastle? There must be others.
I thought they were out, so to speak, at all Wembley games, so this afternoon we may find out.

Bloss

Morata and Kane are both fine strikers. Only one of them is known globally and it isn't the overpriced Spurs player.

"Morata has scored goals for Spain, Real and Juventus, while we’re still waiting to see whether or not Kane can do it at the business end of a World Cup or the Champions League." says Stan Collymore in The Mirror.

The Wembley pitch is too big for Spurs and Kane is only halfway good. This means they might not win so many games this year.

I'll feel sorry for them if they don't. They did try hard in 2016 and ended up losers, which suits them really.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Spurs get the upper hand today. Chelsea have too many injured stars like Hazard and Pedro, plus Fabregas and captain Cahill are banned.

It won't really mean very much if Spurs win though. It is a long season and it took a while for Chelsea to get going last year.

Jack

Morata and Kane are both fine strikers. Only one of them is known globally and it isn't the overpriced Spurs player.

"Morata has scored goals for Spain, Real and Juventus, while we’re still waiting to see whether or not Kane can do it at the business end of a World Cup or the Champions League." says Stan Collymore in The Mirror.

The Wembley pitch is too big for Spurs and Kane is only halfway good. This means they might not win so many games this year.

I'll feel sorry for them if they don't. They did try hard in 2016 and ended up losers, which suits them really.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Spurs get the upper hand today. Chelsea have too many injured stars like Hazard and Pedro, plus Fabregas and captain Cahill are banned.

It won't really mean very much if Spurs win though. It is a long season and it took a while for Chelsea to get going last year.

Jack

I think you need a big dose of luck (along with the necessary good team of course) to win the league, and Chelsea are not getting it so far. I don't think it's going to be our season again this year. In the absence of trophies, I'd like to see this year being used to develop a strong squad....hope to see Morata start today.

Youngest's 5-a-side team lost 5-2 to a "bunch of little hackers" on Friday evening.
Newcastle beat Huddersfield twice last season. Looks like we are going to lose to them today. Go figure (or similar) Mr. Ashley.

Morata scored 15 in 63 for Juventus...not impressive at all but a lot of sub appearances presumably. He scored 15 in 26 for Real Madrid but then so would anyone. Same re Spain... 9 from 20.
Early days in the Kane vs Morata debate imo.

Good news. Morata, Christensen and Babayoko start.

Rudiger looked good last weekend despite a shaky performance at Wembley. Christensen has always looked good. Morata really did look like the real deal when he came on last w/e. We're going to need a performance from Babayoko on his first start, a big ask given the circumstances.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back