advertisement

Moth RCM just blown!

doctorf

left footed right winger
My first post in the DIY forum!
Thought I'd just clean few discs and bang!
Moth RCM stops.
Replaced the plug fuse - no different.
I've taken the base off the machine to find an RS noise suppressor which has obviously blown.
Everything else looks as clean as a whistle.
The RS part has been discontinued, so I thought I could just cut the suppressor out and join up the two black wires going into it.
Sadly, the Moth will still not fly.
Can anyone help with what I thought would be a simple fix?

Many thanks.
Simon

If it was a suppressor cap joining the wires was not a good idea, you have probably blown the fuse again. Can you post the RS number, it should be possible to find out what it was and possibly an equivalent.

Thanks a lot.
There certainly wasn’t any pop etc when I joined the black wires. I did that after reading a few bits on the tinter.
The R/S part number is 10/070/021

That cap explosion or flashing can be quite dramatic and smelly (yes) but of no consequence.

Coincidentally, I was about to ask a question about my Moth RCM, it doesn't blow fuses but trips the RCD in the fuse box. Haven't used it for ages, stored it in the dryish/not too damp cellar, but I fear damp has got into it

It is (was) a delta suppression cap, should have had 3 wires, green to earth, other 2 to either side of the mains. The fact that you joined the black wires and nothing blew up suggests that something else is blown possibly the mains switch or an internal fuse somewhere.

Coincidentally, I was about to ask a question about my Moth RCM, it doesn't blow fuses but trips the RCD in the fuse box. Haven't used it for ages, stored it in the dryish/not too damp cellar, but I fear damp has got into it

Quite likely the same cap, gone leaky but not yet blown up - needs replacing.

Thanks!
I can’t see any internal fuse and there was certainly no obvious noise when I joined the black wires together. there was a green earth wire which I removed.

My reading led me to believe it was a noise suppressing capacitor and no harm would be done by just removing it from the circuit, hence me joining the two black wires.
I’m open to any suggestions because it is way beyond my knowledge base!

Yes, you can remove it from the circuit but joining the black wires shorts out the mains, the fact that you did so without a further bang suggests that the original explosion caused damage elsewhere. I don`t know anything about these machines but from pictures the switches don`t look that robust.

If you google Moth Record Cleaner Schematic you can down load a manual which has a very crudely drawn circuit diagram, you may already have this or it may not be for your machine.

If it was a suppressor cap joining the wires was not a good idea, you have probably blown the fuse again. Can you post the RS number, it should be possible to find out what it was and possibly an equivalent.
The part is listed for sale on the Moth website!
There’s no pic, but I presume it will fit the bill.
I’ll ring them in the morning.
The rest of the machine looks as clean as a whistle.

Good, however the machine should function with it removed, it`s only a suppression capacitor. I think you will still have a problem.

Does the machine have a fused IEC mains input socket?

If you have a multimeter check the oeration of the switches.

Put a meter on ohms across the motor phases to see if its short, if there is a series resistor check that also
trace the mains voltage in the circuit on AC volts.
Alan

The size of the cutout in the assembly drawings suggest a fused IEC input socket is used, check this, it`s more likely to have blown than the plug fuse.

Thanks Guys
I’ll have a look when I get home.
I did have a good look for anything that resembles a fuse inside the machine, especially around the input socket, but I saw nothing obvious.
I’ll order the part, fit it and then cry if it doesn’t work. I’m afraid me and multimeters do not go together. A lifestyle failure on my part and often regretted.
Simon

advertisement

Back