advertisement

Moth RCM just blown!

Ah, so follow @Paul R instructions and use your DVM to measure between these two terminals which should be about 9 ohms. Set your DVM to the lowest range which is typically 200 ohm and you should read '9.0' or close by
I get a reading of 1, regardless of the switch position.

How did you measure this, directly across the motor terminals, or did you reinstall the motor because you mention the switch position making no difference? By 1 do you mean 1 ohm?

I measured with the motor out and with the motor connected. The reading was 1 regardless of what scale I used on the voltmeter.

If you mean like this:
20220116-181129.jpg

That means 'out of range'.
Likely the motor then.

Coincidentally, I was about to ask a question about my Moth RCM, it doesn't blow fuses but trips the RCD in the fuse box. Haven't used it for ages, stored it in the dryish/not too damp cellar, but I fear damp has got into it

I'm not sure if this thread is still open, but here goes ....

My Moth RCM also blows the RCD, after I have cleaned about a couple of lp's. This has only happened since I moved to my current home, about a year ago. While it's working, it works fine (no burnt out smells or anything), it just trips the RCD eventually. It's not got damp at all. I'm not sure if I'm using the same mains lead as supplied with it, as I think I've got this mains lead mixed up during the house move - I am using a 13amp plug/lead.

Any ideas please?

thanks!

The damp that matters would be inside and not obvious externally, tripping after a few sides does suggest as a first possibility that the vacuum is leaking into the other internal chamber. It might be worth unplugging it and taking the bottom off. I built mine so I've no idea how the fully built model is constructed, but you're looking for a plausible path where air from the vacuum outlet can get into the machine and not straight out the back.

You could also try running it for a few minutes without a record, perhaps obscure the inlet slot to the vacuum, if it trips without the presence of cleaning fluid anywhere then it's something to do with a motor. And they can be run separately etc.

advertisement

Back