advertisement

Moth RCM just blown!

A fused IEC socket normally has a little drawer with the fuse in it, just under the connector inlet. You may need a small screwdriver to prise it out.

Ah, posted too late.

You are both absolutely correct.
A little 5A fuse in a little drawer under the inlet.
It was blown to bits.
Thank you!

Simon

I’ve ordered the suppressor and will report back after I’ve fitted that and a fuse.
If the suppressor cap is removed, it should just power up once you replace the fuse... just don't join the black wires and don't leave them floating free.

Well it certainly doesn't harm anything to restore it to original condition, but like we can live without our appendix, your RCM can live without that cap... all it does is prevents pops and clicks on the mains.
I must admit that I did realise I could manage without it. However, I thought the two black wires needed joining after removal!!
PFM is a wonderful place.

If the suppressor cap is removed, it should just power up once you replace the fuse... just don't join the black wires and don't leave them floating free.
I tried that today with no success.
The suppressor cap should arrive in the next day or two, so I’ll see what effect that has.

I tried that today with no success.
The suppressor cap should arrive in the next day or two, so I’ll see what effect that has.
That’s odd, is it completely dead? Neither the vacuum nor platter motors turning?

There’s pretty much nothing in the way of electronics, it’s a couple of motors, phase shift caps for the platter motor, switches and that suppression cap (which is in parallel with the mains).

Just studying the wiring diagram closely, there’s a switch for the vacuum motor and a forward/reverse switch for the turntable motor… I see that some models have two switches and some have three, I assume that the models with three switches have a power switch for the turntable motor and a two position forward/reverse switch and the models with two switches have a three position switch for the turntable motor (forward/off/reverse)? Or do models with three switches have a master power switch? If this is the case, the mains switch could’ve been damaged when the cap blew. The switches in the wiring diagram are after the suppressor cap, so they can’t have been damaged by it’s lively demise.

Just studying the wiring diagram closely, there’s a switch for the vacuum motor and a forward/reverse switch for the turntable motor… I see that some models have two switches and some have three, I assume that the models with three switches have a power switch for the turntable motor and a two position forward/reverse switch and the models with two switches have a three position switch for the turntable motor (forward/off/reverse)? Or do models with three switches have a master power switch? If this is the case, the mains switch could’ve been damaged when the cap blew. The switches in the wiring diagram are after the suppressor cap, so they can’t have been damaged by it’s lively demise.
Thanks!
Mine is the two switch model and, as I said, everything looks as clean as a whistle.
I’ll post again when the new suppressor gets fitted.

I don't think the absence of a suppressor will prevent the motors starting, so you probably still have a supply issue. Worth checking the fuse(s) again and that you put the replacement IEC inlet fuse in the correct place. There's a cavity in which you can store a spare.

I think the third switch might be to do with a cooling fan for 'pro' use.

(I bought a kit a very long time ago and finally got around to assembling it last autumn, so

Coincidentally, I was about to ask a question about my Moth RCM, it doesn't blow fuses but trips the RCD in the fuse box. Haven't used it for ages, stored it in the dryish/not too damp cellar, but I fear damp has got into it
Likely also the suppressor, since it provides a coupling between live/neutral and earth (obviously not one that's meant to conduct anything other than interference...)

So doctorf's suppressor fails joining live and neutral, explosive fuse failure. Yours live and earth, trips RCD.

If not that then the turntable motor case is earthed, but that shouldn't cause an RCD to trip until the motor is started.

Thanks!
Mine is the two switch model and, as I said, everything looks as clean as a whistle.
I’ll post again when the new suppressor gets fitted.

It`s extremely unlikely that the currently missing suppressor will stop the machine working, assuming that all the relevant wires are still in the terminal block. I think you need to borrow a multimeter and someone who knows how to work it and check the machine out. If both the input socket fuse and the plug fuse are O.K. then the mains switch is the next most probable problem, as mentioned above.

Thanks all.
So I had put the IEC fuse in the wrong way round.
Both fuses now fine, machine worked fine for one record.
For second record the disc motor will turn fine, but the vacuum motor isn’t working!
The new suppressor will probably turn up tomorrow so I’ll take it to bits again and investigate.

advertisement

Back