advertisement

Most dynamic electronic music you've heard

Is it specifically dynamic range, or also a sense of space? It's the latter that I miss with most electronic music. Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer's reworking of the ECM catalogue excellent in this regard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004VPCE4K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Depending on how abstract or otherwise your tastes are, the Recollection GRM reissues of musique concrete classics can't be beaten for dynamics or space. My favourite so far is this:

http://editionsmego.com/release/REGRM-014

Rashad Becker is responsible for cutting the whole series, I believe.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If it's dynamics you are after, then I'd take a look at Autechre's recent output, and especially the recent run of live 'straight to disc' recordings from the Exai live shows. Essentaiily live hardware jams. Very dnamic and fanstastic recordings. Dublin and Krackow in particular are a total facemelt. You can sample them here.

https://autechre.bleepstores.com/

How about any specific songs that have particular sounds that really catch your ear. I'm thinking of sounds that seem to jump out at you?

E.g. John grant - pale green ghost

Trentemöller / The Last Resort

The most astonishing difference in presentation I ever experienced between CD and record.
The CD sounds like easy listening entertainment
where the (excellent) record reveals a universe of a deeply intelligent electronic symphony.

No other release of Trentemöller ever came even close to this, so should you be tempted, prepare for bad surprise.

Panasonic I like too I'm a bit surprised they are metioned...didn't expect them to be well known.
I just looked, I have their KULMA double LP, but not the Osato EP.

I'm not a huge electronica follower, but Panasonic were special and their sometime confrontational early sound goes beyond genres. I like their first album - Vakio, Osato, and their first EP.
I have the first album on 4 x 10". I played some Vakio and Osato last night after reading this thread. Osato is worth checking out.

Is it specifically dynamic range, or also a sense of space? It's the latter that I miss with most electronic music.

A sense of space is really important for me, too.

I like Villalobos's Frabric CD for the way it gradually unfolds/moves, but personally not sure it has the dynamic or space that we are discussing.

Maybe a long shot but John Wall. He refuses to use compression during mastering. His CDs are mastered by Denis Blackham or Simon Heyworth. Electronic composition rather than electronica, I would suggest something like Fractuur, Constructions or Hylic. An intense and unique experience.

New Order 'Lowlife' album and 'The Kiss if Death', which is a B-side to 'The Perfect Kiss' 12" single. I've only heard both on vinyl.
'The Kiss of Death' sounds extremely raw. It maybe a cliche but it sounds like you are 'in the studio'.

Seconded...that's my all time reference.

Milkcult/ Love God is another record I like a lot.
It's a cinemascopic surrealism in sound, industrial and leaves classic song structures for a sound-journey reminding me of, say David Lynch movies.

It does make sense, but you're unable of telling why.

Took a few attempts until I got into it, but it's worthwhile.
Good recording (vinyl) imo, demanding but great.

Much more difficult than, say, Panasonic.

I've enjoyed giving a listen to the recommendations, so a very interesting thread
I have also realised I am a charlatan, and not an electronica aficionado!

Have a listen to the second and third Yello albums. The Sex/Birds and Bees album by Telex has some great dynamics. It is electronic but it is quite a clutter free production. (Its name makes me laugh, the UK version is called Birds and Bees and the Euro version I also have is called Sex and has a different track listing)

Another vote here for Yello. "Baby" on vinyl's gobsmackingly wonderful, my best album for awesome dynamics. Try their most recent album, "Touch", which is great on CD.

advertisement

Back