advertisement

Monarchy and Royalty

The foot kissing ceremony is very amusing. Could imagine Kirk Douglas doing that in The Vikings. I bet they also had dreadful table manners...
Modern historians discount it as apocryphal, but it makes a good story.

The foot kissing ceremony is very amusing. Could imagine Kirk Douglas doing that in The Vikings. I bet they also had dreadful table manners...
Foot kissing is an ancient royal ceremony

51106875153_1cf044f301_z.jpg

Did anyone hear the previous Duke of Westminster's answer on radio as to how his family acquired their wealth? He was very honest about.
"Basically, the Duke of Normandy (whose great great grandfather pillaged France to such an extent that the Holy Roman Emperor gave him Normandy to sate his appetite), invaded the country, took everything as his own, gave some to the church and some to his mates who helped his conquest. And my ancestor was such a mate. And we've invested very wisely since. "
We are still living with the legacy.
The hereditary bit counts for nothing. The Glorious Revolution was essentially a change of monarchy, legitimised with the link that the new were cousins of the old. That was the end of the divine right to rule.
Yes, it was very refreshing. Grosvenor comes from old French "Gros Veneur" , great hunter. The original Grosveneur was William's hunting buddy, he organised the best hunts. William rewarded him with large chunks of land. Duke G of W had the grace to admit that "this was a very good head start" .

would they be mere figureheads replacing the monarch, with their role heavily circumcised by law, custom and practice?
Bloody hell, I didn't know THAT was a requirement! I mean, it would be a decent enough job, but you can put the scalpels away, sunshine!

I think National Rail Enquiries are taking it a bit far. The whole site is in black and white. Now the colour coding normally used makes it user friendly. Not now... Check it out...

See how Transport for London has done things for comparison.

Good work! Never shot a Purdey. Quite happy with my trusty Beretta (good job really...). It’s quite odd how people’s perceptions can get so distorted over the subject of shooting.

That's interesting, i'm contemplating something like an Urika 391 as my old unbranded S/S is getting beyond repair. Only do a few clays and vermin these days so no rush.

Yes, it was very refreshing. Grosvenor comes from old French "Gros Veneur" , great hunter. The original Grosveneur was William's hunting buddy, he organised the best hunts. William rewarded him with large chunks of land. Duke G of W had the grace to admit that "this was a very good head start" .
I’d wondered about the origin of the name. Bendor Grosvenor, cousin of the present Duke is a throughly decent sort. Notable art historian, pro- Scottish independence and lives just round the corner from me.

That's interesting, i'm contemplating something like an Urika 391 as my old unbranded S/S is getting beyond repair. Only do a few clays and vermin these days so no rush.

They look good if you want a semi auto. Mine’s a 687 SP3 28 inch (quite like the shorter barrels). Lovely gun for the money, very reliable, consistent and comfortable.

I’d wondered about the origin of the name. Bendor Grosvenor, cousin of the present Duke is a throughly decent sort. Notable art historian, pro- Scottish independence and lives just round the corner from me.
There is a sauce Grand Veneur, good with game but a faff to make.

I’ve always wondered whether Grosvenor is just a phonetic corruption of Grand Veneur, or whether the Duke’s ancestor was portly and Guillaume and his mates were just having a laff.

I’m indifferent on this subject. I’m not a royalist but nor am I a republican. One thing is for sure that the radical lefty anti-monarchist sentiment on this forum is not in chime with the British public, who do still support it in large numbers. The alternative of President Johnson etc doesn’t fill me with much confidence either. Be careful what you wish for.

Let’s not look at viable alternatives to a monarchy, let’s only look at stupid alternatives like then conclude that the monarchy is all good. Trump, Blair or Johnson are not the only alternatives. As has already been stated, replacing the monarchy with nothing is an alternative, as is a temporary and elected Head of State, other alternatives besides three monstrous tw@ts that keep getting dragged up, are also available. Some of them quite reasonable

If the UK had a vote on the Monarchy it would end up with Kingy McKingface and Queenie McQeenface.

In earlier times Dame Mary warnock would have been a good candidate for a non political head of state - there must be people of similar stature now, surely?

advertisement

Back