advertisement

Monarchy and Royalty

Some of our European friends seem to have squared the circle vis a vis Constitutional Monarchies. Not sure "we" have the will to do the same.

Why does President Blair always come up as a justification for our monarchy?

If we can’t come up with a better alternative to a system that is out moded, elitist, racist, and ridiculously expensive than Tony bloody Blair we really are a backward looking and weak minded nation
I think you've answered your own question there.

A bloke in our village has a flag pole & flies a variety of flags. It’s obviously a hobby for him.
I’ve seen him fly the Essex flag ( we are in Essex), the NHS Flag, the rainbow inclusive one, ( ok I guess they’re not traditional flags but you know what I mean) along with the RAF, Cornish, Scottish, Welsh, English & the Union Flag ( flown at half mast yesterday I noticed) as well as others from time to time.
It’s a shame, & something that I still don’t understand why someone can’t fly the English flag without being tainted as a daily mail reading gammon.
Whilst it’s not the sort of thing I would personally do, I’ve seen people all over the world fly their country flag with pride without the same stigma attached.

I'm not a royalist, but have had the odd glimpse under the covers and seen the endless hard work that's done, most of it helping kids and the needfull. Still the point of the thread is wotif? And that has to be a dictatorship or something totally new. I tried this AM in bed to suss it out. Got it pencilled down. Sort of pyramid thing.

Electrical chip implant at birth. All over 15 get whatever question is current beamed in and have a week to research and think about an opinion. No need to answer if not interested.
That result counts for 49% of the overall result.

Next level is regional. Every region has 100 reps, picked at random from the eligible (exclusions to be argued about) population. A region is an area of 100,000 people, so about 500 'areas'. You serve a year, so most will get a shout at sometime. Those reps also meet and the vote is for their group consensus. That's 21% of the result.

Next layer is 10 'experts'. make your own list. If it's a transport question, they'll be transport experts. Everyone in the country will have a rating about their experience and success in their field.. A computer picks the top ten ratings on that day. They vote and add another 21%.

Top tier. 3 persons. This time it's a restricted field. I want three people aged between 35 and 65 with a proven record of intelligent fair unbiased thinking. They debate and add 3% each. No consensus expected.

Add it up and it's done.

No costs either. Just a few computer operators somewhere and another to write it into being. (I'd make the meetings happen in a tent. Bring your own sandwiches...travel expenses only (on the bus).

Hoorah.

Why does President Blair always come up as a justification for our monarchy?

If we can’t come up with a better alternative to a system that is out moded, elitist, racist, and ridiculously expensive than Tony bloody Blair we really are a backward looking and weak minded nation

But if we look at history and the rest of the world, we see it's not that easy to create a better system.

I mean, some people (naming no names... :D) think Venezuela is a model to follow. Look at the state of it.

Don't forget that the Scandinavian countries, which always score highly for being well-run and happy countries, almost all keep their monarchies.

And even Donald Trump sort of knew his place with Her Majesty. Not a bad thing. Imagine if someone like Trump thought he was the actual king?

A bloke in our village has a flag pole & flies a variety of flags. It’s obviously a hobby for him.
I’ve seen him fly the Essex flag ( we are in Essex), the NHS Flag, the rainbow inclusive one, ( ok I guess they’re not traditional flags but you know what I mean) along with the RAF, Cornish, Scottish, Welsh, English & the Union Flag ( flown at half mast yesterday I noticed) as well as others from time to time.
It’s a shame, & something that I still don’t understand why someone can’t fly the English flag without being tainted as a daily mail reading gammon.
Whilst it’s not the sort of thing I would personally do, I’ve seen people all over the world fly their country flag with pride without the same stigma attached.
My next door neighbour is similarly afflicted. He flies a different flag every day (god knows where he gets them all) as there's sure to be a national day somewhere in the world.
Union Jack/Flag at half-mast today of course

If nothing else it’s a reminder that the BBC in its current form is less a public service broadcaster than a state broadcaster.

Phil was the original Racist Uncle wasn’t he. That’s got to be playing a big part in the North Korean style media response.

But if we look at history and the rest of the world, we see it's not that easy to create a better system.

I mean, some people (naming no names... :D) think Venezuela is a model to follow. Look at the state of it.

France and Germany manage without a monarchy.

Don't forget that the Scandinavian countries, which always score highly for being well-run and happy countries, almost all keep their monarchies.

Happy and well run because of their monarchies? Scandinavians themselves don’t mention monarchy, they say they’re happy and well run because of strong social provision

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/why-scandinavians-are-happiest-people-in-the-world

And even Donald Trump sort of knew his place with Her Majesty. Not a bad thing. Imagine if someone like Trump thought he was the actual king?
Trumps adoration of monarchy is not a good point in favour of monarchy, quite the opposite, Monarchy legitimises the anti democratic absolute rule instinct of Trump, that’s why he liked it so

I expect I'm being dim but why isn't one possible answer to "But what would replace the monarchy?", "Nothing".

I mean, do we need a head of state?

Worth reading the whole essay "On the connection between toad eaters and tyrants" Hazlitt.

"Man is a toad-eating animal. The admiration of power in others is as common to man as the love of it in himself: the one makes him a tyrant, the other a slave. It is not he alone, who wears the golden crown, that is proud of it: the wretch who pines in a dungeon, and in chains, is dazzled with it; and if he could but shake of his own fetters, would care little about the wretches whom he left behind him, so that he might have an opportunity, on being set free himself, of gazing at this glittering gew-gaw "on some high holiday of once a year." The slave, who has no other hope or consolation, clings to the apparition of royal magnificence, which insults his misery and his despair; stares through the hollow eyes of famine at the insolence of pride and luxury which has occasioned it, and hugs his chains the closer, because he has nothing else left. The French, under the old regime, made the glory of their Grand Monarque a set-off against rags and hunger, equally satisfied with shows or bread; and the poor Spaniard, delivered from temporary to permanent oppression, looks up once more with pious awe, to the time-hallowed towers of the Holy Inquisition."

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Political_Essays_(1819)/Illustrations_of_the_Times_Newspaper

Did anyone hear the previous Duke of Westminster's answer on radio as to how his family acquired their wealth? He was very honest about.
"Basically, the Duke of Normandy (whose great great grandfather pillaged France to such an extent that the Holy Roman Emperor gave him Normandy to sate his appetite), invaded the country, took everything as his own, gave some to the church and some to his mates who helped his conquest. And my ancestor was such a mate. And we've invested very wisely since. "
We are still living with the legacy.
The hereditary bit counts for nothing. The Glorious Revolution was essentially a change of monarchy, legitimised with the link that the new were cousins of the old. That was the end of the divine right to rule.

France and Germany manage without a monarchy.

That's because we have the Germans' monarchy. Admittedly, the French got rid of theirs (im)properly. Not sure we'd want to repeat that here, though.

Perhaps UK republicans might suggest returning the monarchy back to Germany as a nice middle ground solution? Support for that sort of thing is growing in popularity. We can do a job lot. The Benin bronzes, the Elgin Marbles, the Windsors, etc all get sent back to where they came from?

Imagine at their age, being forced into hosting the Trump clan at their home. That state visit should never have been offered.

advertisement

Back