advertisement

Microphony

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first job was noise and vibration research including a period at Garrard. I stopped when I went into F1 full time in 1976. We used piezo accelerometers and I remember the problem of correct cable choice between sensor and charge amplifier.
Accelerometers with built in electronics were not available back then at least not as far as I remember, and the B&K accelerometers were £600 each at a time when a graduate engineer (me) was paid £1200 a year. This stuff is so cheap now.

BTW there is an awful lot of bollox about vibration isolation on hifi fora, don't let it wind you up...

Decent accelerometers and instrumentation still aren't cheap, however, yes they are eminently affordable in comparison.

The bollox doesn't wind me up, I just enjoy giving people who are interested an insight into what's actually going on.

A stand making a "profound" difference to the sound of a solid state amp (as someone just quoted) due to some kind of acoustic vibration control doesn't make any sense.

So if I can put a sensitive charge amplifier in a jet engine test cell (liken it to a turntable pre amplifier for context) where the broadband acoustic pressure levels are well in excess of 120dB without significant issue, why are people having issues with their solid state amps operating at comparatively very high signal levels and very low acoustic pressure levels?

For context, anyone been to a military airshow? Now imagine that noise level in an enclosed test cell...........

To be fair, many with ATCs put their active speakers on several phases of Mana, which reduces vibrations reaching the sensitive electronics inside.

Joe

How does that stop vibration inside??????

Edit . Have I switched my irony detector off or am I being swamped with too many foo theories in this forum to discriminate between them and reality?

I think I will coin a new term foo theories - foories.

It is often said that many don't appreciate subtle Canadian humour, but I don't think that's true as this thread demonstrates.

Joe

So if I can put a sensitive charge amplifier in a jet engine test cell (liken it to a turntable pre amplifier for context) where the broadband acoustic pressure levels are well in excess of 120dB without significant issue, why are people having issues with their solid state amps operating at comparatively very high signal levels and very low acoustic pressure levels?
My day job puts audio processing circuits inside armoured vehicles and I have to test on vibration tables for qualification. Strangely extreme sound levels and vibration don't show in the audio. The hard part is making cables stay connected

I recall we had trouble some years ago with some RF circuits when we put them on a vibrator. Made a complete mess of the phase noise. Took a few weeks to get sorted - one of my colleagues narrowed it down to a particular type of capacitor and a diode I think.

The units were destined for use in environment with continuous low level of vibration, and that's what caught us. Normally our units only have to survive the attentions of the launcher - "once in space, nobody can hear you scream" :)

Decent accelerometers and instrumentation still aren't cheap, however, yes they are eminently affordable in comparison.

The bollox doesn't wind me up, I just enjoy giving people who are interested an insight into what's actually going on.

A stand making a "profound" difference to the sound of a solid state amp (as someone just quoted) due to some kind of acoustic vibration control doesn't make any sense.

For context, anyone been to a military airshow? Now imagine that noise level in an enclosed test cell...........

I think you have misread what I'm saying. Placing CD players on different supports has a profound impact. Why not try it.

We have people here who've measured the effects of vibration for their work. The results vary from no effect to measurable effects. Yet we're being asked by the no effect camp to believe in their extrapolations to equipment they've not measured. No wonder some of us use our ears.

I think you have misread what I'm saying. Placing CD players on different supports has a profound impact. Why not try it.

Which CD players have you found this with?

I only have two but a brief trial of surfaces they were used on made bugger all difference.

Acrylic 15mm sheet, 15mm MDF, glass

Cyrus CD6 and AVI Lab Series. But I do not play at PA levels (I wonder if that is the difference)

To be fair, many with ATCs put their active speakers on several phases of Mana, which reduces vibrations reaching the sensitive electronics inside.

Joe

To be fair, I think it's more accurate to say that the vast majority of ATC owners don't put them on any form of Mana at all.

A friend of mine just bought a Symposium Ultra platform:

http://www.symposiumusa.com/ultra.html

I hope to check it soon.

Now, this one makes a lot more sense in vibration terms as its a foam block. it probably still makes little sense it cost terms ;). This will help isolate vibration - they even note its not for very low frequency "footfall" vibration, with which thay are being honest about its capabilities. there is still a lot of marketing BS in the description though.

Now, this one makes a lot more sense in vibration terms as its a foam block. it probably still makes little sense it cost terms ;). This will help isolate vibration - they even note its not for very low frequency "footfall" vibration, with which thay are being honest about its capabilities.

If it comes down to cost vs benefit analysis it will depend on how you perceive and value the effect and how deep your pockets are.

PS just saw you added one phrase to your post.
Care to elaborate why you think it's marketing BS?

We have people here who've measured the effects of vibration for their work. The results vary from no effect to measurable effects. Yet we're being asked by the no effect camp to believe in their extrapolations to equipment they've not measured. No wonder some of us use our ears.

Thats not the case at all - its about providing some knowledge to people who have no knowledge as to how vibration works. For example some people think that rigidly coupling their equipment to stands and to the floor somehow "earths" vibration. It doesnt. Their rigid stands simply dont isolate vibration.

Its also about showing how small the acoustically induced vibration from the music actually is. Properly designed electronics should not be adversely affected.

If it comes down to cost vs benefit analysis it will depend on how you percebe and value the effect and how deep your pockets are.

Not exactly foo territory then.

This one isnt, at least its trying to do the right thing - that doesnt mean its anything more than a foam block however. How much is it?

This is vibration in the cable coupling into the ear up. Triboelectric or other cable electrical noise could not be large enough to operate the driver

Thanks, I did wonder if it was more likely to be mechanical noise than electrical.

This one isnt, at least its trying to do the right thing - that doesnt mean its anything more than a foam block however. How much is it?

No idea. I did not even listen to it yet.
How much would a foam block help SQ in your opinion?

One thing worth keeping in mind, I think, is the design priorities adopted for the various different types of product being talked about here. I would imagine that an amplifier intended for use in a high noise/high vibration environment will require a set of design compromises rather different to those for something intended for a rather more benign environment. It might, for example, entirely rule out the use of specific types of components known to be sensitive to vibration, which an audio designer might prefer to rule in, due to their sonic superiority.

My point being that you can't assume you can simply extrapolate from one set of findings, to determine the results for a different case. Perhaps you can, but you'll have to run the tests to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back