advertisement

Microphony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rad, you're doing it again. Please stop derailing a potentially interesting thread to score irrelevant debating points.

On p46 I set out my understanding of the issue of microphony. Nobody commented, which may be because it got lost in the noise, so I don't know if it was a relevant and useful observation or not.

My understanding is that any conductor which is moving in a magnetic field will generate a current. So it's not just specific types of components, but the lead-in/lead-out wires and other internal wiring as well, which may be vibrating, albeit minutely, in close proximity to the stray magnetic field from the equipment transformer. It does seem to me that small vibration + significant magnetic field may = non-trivial level of background noise. And, if so, given that the noise is going to be modulated by the signal causing the vibrations, it might be more intrusive than just a slightly elevated noise floor.

This is my understanding of the mechanism which might be in play here. Of course, as I have no doubt proven over the years, I am an ignoramus.

This one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back