advertisement

Microphony

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're rattling around in the sockets, might the resistance change with time?

But connectors aren't rattling around in their sockets - not even very slightly. Even if they were resistance wouldn't be altered.

I doubt that microphony is significant at audio frequency, not compared with the impact of the equipment and its stand directly upon the acoustics of the room and also indirectly via their own acoustic resonances.

At RF it's quite a different story. Acoustic microphony can be shown to directly impact the performance of the equipment, and in many cases there are measures to either design it out via component choice, or mitigate it via isolation, or both. The technical performance of that equipment is leagues ahead of what is needed here so quite a different kettle-of-fish. I've not known it be created by the connectors even in this circumstance though.

Martin.

You're even cleverer than me, and so are Jonathan & Ian. Why have all the brightest and best pfm members ended up with Mana?

Bad taste in fonts?

For Mana, I'm satisfied that it does a good job for turntables. Probably be even better if I put the record player etc in a different room from me and the speakers. But it's such a faff. And the thought of accidentally putting side B of Moondance on or say anything by Supertramp and then having the ennui of actually having to walk to switch it off is beyond me....

AIUI, it starts by spikes sitting proudly on top of a laminated MDF board after meticulous setup and then a bit later ends up spikes deeply embedded into the board - and wonky.

If microphony bothers you then, well, I envy your singular lack of other bothers in life. I bought a phony Neumann for capsule tweaking. Never again.

AIUI, it starts by spikes sitting proudly on top of a laminated MDF board after meticulous setup and then a bit later ends up spikes deeply embedded into the board - and wonky.

If microphony bothers you then, well, I envy your singular lack of other bothers in life. I bought a phony Neumann for capsule tweaking. Never again.

the dreaded spike sinkage...just look away and pretend it's not there along with the dust.

Bad taste in fonts?

For Mana, I'm satisfied that it does a good job for turntables. Probably be even better if I put the record player etc in a different room from me and the speakers. But it's such a faff. And the thought of accidentally putting side B of Moondance on or say anything by Supertramp and then having the ennui of actually having to walk to switch it off is beyond me....

I also think that it works for most loudspeakers. If you feel the vibration level in a stack of Mana under some loudspeakers, the amount of vibration decreases down the stack. In my case that energy was exciting the floor and was often close in frequency to the main room mode...

I also think that it works for most loudspeakers. If you feel the vibration level in a stack of Mana under some loudspeakers, the amount of vibration decreases down the stack. In my case that energy was exciting the floor and was often close in frequency to the main room mode...

Yes, I think that effect is undeniable, unless you haven't tried Mana, in which case it's deniable.

Three acceleromators were used to measure the efficacy of an active air platform in three planes ,the measurements were really interesting .
Keith.

I tried some of Buns old mana a couple of years ago, I recal it sounded fantastic.
Loads more detail, loads more everything.
Took it out to check.
Still sounded fantastic. All the detail and everything was still there!
Whoah
And guess what?

Still sounding fantastic with different equipment. In a different house.
Freaky. Man.

The stuff just completely bucking woerks.

In the absence of actually getting off our arses all we have are graphs and measurements to show the girth of our weenies. I'm terrified to share my graphs for fear y'all might tsk at its weenielessness.

So how does it decouple / isolate?
keith.

Mana never talked about how their stands worked. They relied on demonstrating that it did work for sales.

I suspect that there are a few mechanisms working with Mana stands, with each of them ending up with mechanical energy being dissipated as heat.

I am curious as to how effective this is from a measurement perspective, hence in part my questions / suggestions earlier in this thread.

The active air platform that was measured here, did pretty well vertically , a little better than the visco elastic isolation in my usual stand, but didn't fare so well in either lateral planes.
The rolling air diaphragm I use now ,was more effective in all three planes.
Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back