advertisement

Metal

Interesting to note that your recommendations seem nearly always to be small, not very well known bands. That’s not a criticism, I just wonder if there’s a reason?

It’s one of the joys of Bandcamp, it’s quite often throws up some decent recommendations from your purchase history/people you follow, plus being able to search for music various ways and being able to have a listen before buying is an added bonus.

Throw in metal review sites like AMG and the Metal-Fi forum makes it’s very easy to chance across little gems that you would have never come across otherwise.

New track available here - https://anaalnathrakh.bandcamp.com

It's what I believe is referred to as a banger.

Just played this back-to-back Dave :)

transdiffusion_2_sausage.jpg

I'll have to check out this stuff more in-depth, Dave. I was previously put off by the industrial bent to be honest but that track is really good.

Really liked that track. It’s also made me realise that I have a big gap in my AN albums, I’ve not heard anything between “Hell is empty...” and “Desideratum”!

Really liked that track. It’s also made me realise that I have a big gap in my AN albums, I’ve not heard anything between “Hell is empty...” and “Desideratum”!

Glad you liked it. I don’t generally favour the ‘top trumps’ approach some people take, but that does mean you missed In The Constellation of The Black Widow, which is often regarded as one of the best albums.

Glad you liked it. I don’t generally favour the ‘top trumps’ approach some people take, but that does mean you missed In The Constellation of The Black Widow, which is often regarded as one of the best albums.

Yep, missed that one as well as Vanitas and Passion. I’m sure I’ll get around to filling the gap at some point!

Probably not frantic enough for you hardcore dudes but currently on car 'tidal' rotation:-

Yob/ Our Raw Heart
Domadora/ Lacuna

Nothing new from me but this week (on the metal front) I've been listening to...

Carcass - Surgical Steel (I don't play it that much because I can never be arsed changing my deck to 45rpm, but it's still f'k'n ace!)
Bolt Thrower - Spearhead EP (via youtube! because I don't own it and I should own it. Thanks for the tip mr. ***t)
Dark Throne - Ravishing Grimness (I hardly play DT and I should do more)
Death - Individual Though Patterns (what more needs to be said)
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (Sometimes you have to. This is still a classic and Hallowed be thy Name always sends a shiver down my spine. Play loud and don't take it seriously)

I've also had a bit of punk from Poison Idea, Septic Tank and Rudimentary Peni (I love these guys. They could record their own farts and I would buy it, play it and like it!).

With Carcass I’ve long fallen into the metal equivalent of an audiophool trap - my favourite is Necroticism, but I always play Heartwork because it sounds better. Silly really. Never got that into Surgical Steel, it seemed a bit too Maiden-y to me. I’ll have to give it another go.

Hallowed Be Thy Name is peerless, though. One of my bands was asked to do a Maiden cover for a compilation a while back, and our first choice was that song, but it’d already been baggsied by someone else.

Lately I checked out the new At The Gates and didn’t love it like I was hoping/expecting to. The title track is ace, and there are parts that are of a piece with some of the best ATG stuff. But it felt a bit slow as a whole. Will have to give it some more time.

listening to random stuff this lunchtime and I have just been blown away!! One of my favourite songs I always come back to is The Exorcist by Possessed. Cannibal Corpse covered it some time ago and I thought did a very decent version BUT check out what I came across...

Shame Chuck didn't get some vocals on it :(

Interesting. When's that from? Sounds very old.

Never got into Possessed myself, but I do remember the song from the CC version, and think the lead-into-chorus is a great bit of riff writing.

Interesting. When's that from? Sounds very old.

Never got into Possessed myself, but I do remember the song from the CC version, and think the lead-into-chorus is a great bit of riff writing.

Apparently it's from ITP studio outakes which makes it about '93. The original just sounds sloppy compared with this.

My main experience with the band Death is from around 1998, so largely playing a mixture of Symbolic and ...Perseverance stuff. Most bands sound sloppy compared to that!

But yeah shame he never got the vox down - if they’d got as far as rehearsing & recording it, it was only a short step away.

Think I might have a whirl of Resurrection Macabre by Pestilence in a bit for a twist on that kind of thing.

My main experience with the band Death is from around 1998, so largely playing a mixture of Symbolic and ...Perseverance stuff. Most bands sound sloppy compared to that!

But yeah shame he never got the vox down - if they’d got as far as rehearsing & recording it, it was only a short step away.

Think I might have a whirl of Resurrection Macabre by Pestilence in a bit for a twist on that kind of thing.

Not familiar with that one, I owned Spheres some time ago but never kept up with Pestilence.

Nah nor me, I just randomly ended up with a copy, can’t even remember why!

NP: Chaos Breed from Clandestine, getting to know some new Harbeth speakers. Harbeth aren’t supposed to work with this kind of stuff, but they’re actually quite good at it.

advertisement

Back