advertisement

Metal

I've been playing this a lot (i.e. 8 times) since I read an online review of the upcoming album
I have read Voivod have always been consistent Deek, never a bad album apparently, the new one is highly anticipated. I tried to get into them but they were quite not my thing but I respect their vibe.

It
I have read Voivod have always been consistent Deek, never a bad album apparently, the new one is highly anticipated. I tried to get into them but they were quite not my thing but I respect their vibe.

It took me a few years to appreciate them to be honest. A friend gave me a copy of Nothing Face at the same time as Morbid Angel's Alters of Madness and Horrified by Repulsion and the Voivod album just didn't 'hit the spot' like the other two but I play it frequently these days.

Not a metal fan myself but if you are I suggest you get down to Sound Machine in Reading; I was in there this morning and its heaving with metal. Its a great 2nd hand record and CD shop anyway but if that isn't enough, they have recently acquired a great deal of Heavy Metal product and its weighing the shop down. Their quality is good and their prices are very reasonable (my only connection with the shop is I am a happy customer).

http://www.thesoundmachine.uk.com/

Just read the scathing Anaal Nathrakh review on AMG. Also the latest Revocation gets a slating too, talking of AMG, I was a little surprised that Riverside made a new one and Horrendous latest has a scorcher writeup....I do have some Riverside to itch the prog in me but I couldn't get into Horrendous...maybe I will give them another shot...

Just read the Anaal Nathrakh review, I would probably call it a mixed review. My Cd doesn’t turn up ‘til next week so.
To tide myself over until then I’ve bought In The Constellation of the Black Widow. Some bloke on the internet said it was good;)

Just read the Anaal Nathrakh review, I would probably call it a mixed review. My Cd doesn’t turn up ‘til next week so.
To tide myself over until then I’ve bought In The Constellation of the Black Widow. Some bloke on the internet said it was good;)
As always J, take AMG reviews with a pinch of salt, remember the unjustified UADA and Wayfarer reviews; just plainly wrong! I have purchased albums after rave reviews that just fell flat. Although I have been guilty of not checking out records after reviews on AMG (KHôRADA and Primordial spring to mind) so it does sort of prove they do have an influence.

Reviews are largely pointless in comparison with listening for yourself, and nowadays you can invariably do so quite easily. For example, https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...-album-is-a-soundtrack-for-the-horrors-of-war

I agree to a certain degree. Years ago when I used to buy music magazines, over the years I found myself familiarising with certain reviewers, 7-8 times out of 10 I would agree with their assessments.
I’m not that familiar with the AMG reviewers and as egodissolve has pointed out, our tastes may not always align. The UADA album is one I also disagree with, it has really grown on me.
My copy is turning up Wednesday, so I’ll be able to give it my opinion later in the week.

I don’t mean they’re pointless full stop, necessarily. I sometimes quite enjoy reading reviews of films or games I’ve already watched or completed.

And it was almost worth the Sex & The City films being made in order that Lindy West’s review could be written (if you’ve never had the pleasure, google it, it’s glorious).

Just that it’s so easy to listen to music for yourself nowadays that reviews are a bit redundant as evaluations and more use as entertainment or a as sources of insight into music you don’t yet understand.

I agree Dave, reviews in this day and age are relatively redundant. I read online blogs to get a general feel for what's good and what's not. As we know, alot of metal is released daily and the blogs act as radars really. I never these days buy something without listening first, this is where Bandcamp is so advantageous for me personally. I have made mistakes in the past buying purely based on a review but that lesson has been learnt.
They do annoy me though when they plainly are out to criticise, the UADA is a great example on AMG of a poor review. I am no fanboy of any band but this particular review was wide of the mark IMHO. But hey, without criticism we wouldn't have choice so I respect their viewpoint.

Just that it’s so easy to listen to music for yourself nowadays that reviews are a bit redundant as evaluations and more use as entertainment or a as sources of insight into music you don’t yet understand.

Totally agree with that.

I read online blogs to get a general feel for what's good and what's not. As we know, alot of metal is released daily and the blogs act as radars really. I never these days buy something without listening first, this is where Bandcamp is so advantageous for me personally.

Same here, it’s a great way to keep track of what’s new and of bands/albums that have slipped through the net.

And it was almost worth the Sex & The City films being made in order that Lindy West’s review could be written (if you’ve never had the pleasure, google it, it’s glorious).

The big question is, did you enjoy the Sex & The City films?:D

Wednesday has come and gone, I’ve had a chance to listen to the new Anaal Nathrakh album a few times and I feel the AMG review was a little harsh.

There are some classic AN tracks on here, VI Coactus is a prime example, it has that trademark sound that first drew me to them. Between the noise, aggression & randomness there is an element which ties the track together. In this case it’s the catchy riff that is instantly unforgettable.

I also can’t remember the last time I heard a vocalist attempt (might be the wrong wording, “pull it off” might be a better description) so many different vocal styles.

Not that it means much, it gets a BMB thumb’s up!

I was at a bar and heard a new-ish Sleep track called Giza Butler the other night. It sounded huge, curious to check it out at home. Never really got into them, but I’ve a mate who loves them.

There was also a cool sounding track, apparently by Indian. Kind of like a different direction Neurosis could have gone in after TSIB.

Looking forward to having a listen later.

New Behemoth – I Loved You at Your Darkest is out guys. Some mixed reviews, anyone had a listen yet? Satanist is a hard act to follow...

New Behemoth – I Loved You at Your Darkest is out guys. Some mixed reviews, anyone had a listen yet? Satanist is a hard act to follow...

coincidentally, a guy at work saw me listening to Carcass and came over to ask if I was aware of the new Behemoth - I wasn't and also had to admit that I completely missed The Satanist (which he wholeheartedly recommended). See what happens when you don't read reviews... I've got some catching up to do again!

I hadn’t really listened to Behemoth before this thread started. But having seen how successful they’d been in recent years, I picked up The Satanist to see what the fuss was about. And I could see it. There was a passionate abundance about it. Often familiar elements but put together with a sense of rightness and proportion. For example end of track 1 Deathspell Omega going into Mayhem at the start of track two, but compelling rather than derivative.

But listening to the new one on Spotify, I’m not seeing it so much. It’s good, but it hasn’t got the je ne sais quoi. It sounds a bit tired compared to its predecessor to me. This time around the familiar elements sound more like they’re just familiar, eg the Deathspell Omega influenced bits make me want to listen to Paracletus rather than think ‘oh, nice nod there’.

Hopefully that’s just me though, or maybe I’m having a jaded morning. I hope it does well for them either way.

advertisement

Back