advertisement

Meridian 206 CDP ...partial success

Is it worth me replacing the film capacitors as well? (I may remove them in any event to help me remove the TDA1541 as I have a socket on order to refit with it.)
There's no point in replacing the bit decoupling caps around the DAC, the originals will be fine and are perfectly good.

I agree about replacing the tants though.

Great points made above - added to which, there is no 'wear-out' mechanism for film/foil caps like the polystyrene; also - there is only one new source left to my knowledge ( LCR, in south Wales). Which is sad, since it's about the finest practical dialectric of all.

NB- fatal damage to PS caps can occur from 80degC upward- keep your soldering iron well-away; and if working close-to, beware/always-inspect for solder splash that might have inadvertently hit (and shorted!) such caps.

NB- fatal damage to PS caps can occur from 80degC upward- keep your soldering iron well-away; and if working close-to, beware/always-inspect for solder splash that might have inadvertently hit (and shorted!) such caps.
I use a version of these. Soldering heatsinks.
heatsink2.jpg

I don't know why these are wet, though!

I believe the Rotel RCD-855 is just about the cheapest second-hand option for a machine with a TDA1541A-S1 (single Crown). I recently got a mint boxed example for £99 delivered via eBay.

All they all single crown S1 chips?

I'm 99% sure the RCD-855 didn't come as standard with an S1.

But honestly, don't worry about fitting an S1 chip. The importance of having one is massively overstated. It's much more important to get the thing working again, with any DAC chip. Fit a socket and you can then easily upgrade in the future if you feel the urge.

The only version I'd actively avoid is the relaxed tolerance R1 variant.

Okay - so I have just bought another 206. I may end up keeping this one for parts, or using it as a bridge to get my player up and running, and then hopefully selling it on.
Unfortunately I am sentimentally attached to my 206.

advertisement

Back