advertisement

MDAC first listen thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending a couple of days listening to mine I decide it was time for the 'look inside' . I don't think I appreciated the build quality from the outside, but having opened the box up and taken a good look inside i certainly do now. Sure it's price point engineered but the standard of fit and finish is top notch. It's not made of 80mm thick slabs of alloy, nor does it need to be. Hats off to the guy who did the metalwork John, he's done a great job here, the way everything slides and locks together really is faultless.

I'm a little disappointed at the component density inside- simply because apart from the dead space where the analogue input stage will come in a future version there is simply bugger all space inside for applying any mods... Boo. This little box is packed like refugees in a truck. Honestly I'd struggle to fit discrete shunt regs in place of the chip regs already in there.

The little PSU board looks like you could probably swap the caps out for something suitably low ESR, but I wonder if it would be worth the trouble involved given the likely spec of the parts already inside.

Congrats on a job well done John and Dominik.

Any pics please?

After spending a couple of days listening to mine I decide it was time for the 'look inside' . I don't think I appreciated the build quality from the outside, but having opened the box up and taken a good look inside i certainly do now. Sure it's price point engineered but the standard of fit and finish is top notch. It's not made of 80mm thick slabs of alloy, nor does it need to be. Hats off to the guy who did the metalwork John, he's done a great job here, the way everything slides and locks together really is faultless.

Thank you, that was Dom and myself who came up with the concept, and watchfully guided our mechanical guy Peter who at times had some very odd ideas... Sometimes it’s better not to be too creative...

I'm a little disappointed at the component density inside- simply because apart from the dead space where the analogue input stage will come in a future version there is simply bugger all space inside for applying any mods... Boo. This little box is packed like refugees in a truck. Honestly I'd struggle to fit discrete shunt regs in place of the chip regs already in there.

Imagine the fun I had during the redesign to squeeze the CROSS output stage into the confined space of the original circuit - it took almost one month to layout the PCB for that tiny circuit section - drove me mad...

The little PSU board looks like you could probably swap the caps out for something suitably low ESR, but I wonder if it would be worth the trouble involved given the likely spec of the parts already inside.

The Black Caps. on the PSU board we had designed as "specials", they are along the lines of the ultra low ESR caps. from Panasonic / Nichicon. We spent much time with the capacitor vendor convincing them to sources their raw materials from Germany and Japan - and yet still be affordable (not Panasonic / Nichicon pricing)! This is the great advantage of working in China :)

Not sure if there would be much of an improvement using “Standard low ESR caps”, you would have to use high voltage / high capacitance Organic type capacitors from say Sanyo to gain a decent step change in quality.

Congrats on a job well done John and Dominik.

:) Many Thanks, its nice when someone appreciates the hard work that’s gone on under the hood :)

Maybe you don't want to use it. For some time I had both the CDQ and GS Solo (albeit with cheaper "green" PSU) - Solo connected to the main CDQ outs, instead of a power amp - and I decided to get rid of the latter. To my ears the CDQ sounded better as a headphone amp. More space in soundstage (better sound source separation), better dynamics and cleaner bass. I used it with AKG K701 cans.
Pawel
Point taken, but that would mean extension cable time, or replacing the HD800 cables with something longer - which, if done using a 'premium' custom cable, will run to 1/2 the price of an MDAC in itself...... :eek:

john

Many Thanks, its nice when someone appreciates the hard work that’s gone on under the hood

vvv*Feeble attempt at humour* vvv

;-) And then bodges the crap out of it... ;-)

^^^*Feeble attempt at humour*^^^

Seriously, it must grate, just a little?

Sonos does not like the WAV header created by Java it seems. FLAC it first, then it should play fine I recon.

I tried converting to FLAC, which did allow Sonos to play the track but the M-DAC reported test failed immediately upon playing the track.

Hi jonstatt,

Did you try repeating the test?

Is the volume Slider on your Sonos set to 100%?

The MDAC is just reporting that the Data from the Sonos is not Bit accurate, and this is where the fun starts....

Just got mine from Audio Emotion today (super service) and have it plugged into my iMac and Rega Brio-R. Will test other amps later, but have had great results so far against my existing DAC, a HRT Streamer II+. The HRT has been my favourite DAC to date, replacing and beating anything else I have tried, including a Benchmark DAC1, MF V-DAC, NuForce HDP and Lavry DA10.

I have been able to A/B test the HRT and MDAC by using the OSX app SoundSource to switch outputs and the Brio-R remote control to switch inputs. This allowed for instant comparison and I have been pleasantly surprised to hear a clear improvement in the MDAC over the HRT. I'm not great at describing sound, but would go for something like better separation and control of bass. And bigger smiles.

I have also compared the headphone output with that of a dedicated headphone amplifier - the Woo Audio WA3. I used Sennheiser HD650's and Beyer DT880's (600 Ohms). In this instance it was less clear which I preferred, although both were excellent. On this basis, given that the MDAC headphone output is built in, it is a no-brainer to now sell the WA3. This was a big relief as it was only the headphone output that I had any real concerns about in advance of buying the MDAC.

I have also been able to test the bit perfect WAVs as posted earlier today. These all pass running either in Decibel or iTunes (+ BitPerfect plug-in) on OSX.

All positive so far… however, there are a few issues with the hardware that are worth being aware of:

1. USB galvanic isolation is poor. The MDAC passes through electrical noise from the iMac that can be heard through the Brio-R. The HRT has galvanic isolation built in and does not do this, so this seems a strange omission on a larger and more sophisticated DAC. Switching to using a cheap optical cable instead fixes the problem (and even then, the USB cable must be disconnected too as just having it plugged in passes through the noise).

2. The power socket and thin pins on the lead look quite fragile. The power lead does not go in very far, nor feel like it has actually been inserted properly. I miss my IEC leads.

All in all, this will replace a £270 DAC and £400+ of headphone amp, while providing better sound - a "free" upgrade. Thanks John and Dominik!

Hi jonstatt,

Did you try repeating the test?

Is the volume Slider on your Sonos set to 100%?

The MDAC is just reporting that the Data from the Sonos is not Bit accurate, and this is where the fun starts....

Hi John,

I did try several times, including pausing the track, restart test, then hit the "go to beginning of track |<<" button. No difference. It fails immediately.

For my Sonos zoneplayer the volume is set to "fixed" output.

It does indeed imply the data from the Sonos is not bit accurate. It would be nice to have proven it wasn't the conversion from WAV to FLAC though, or the way the Sonos handles FLAC vs WAV.

I will be curious if other forum members have different results to me with Sonos. I am wondering though if the Sonos is not bit accurate just at the start, throwing off the test, or continually wrong throughout.

Also John, I noticed , from cold, switching on the M-DAC the reported frequency is more jittery for the first 10 seconds or so, showing 44.095, 44.100 or 44.105. After about 10 seconds it consistently reports 44.100 and doesn't change again.

USB galvanic isolation is poor. The MDAC passes through electrical noise from the iMac that can be heard through the Brio-R. The HRT has galvanic isolation built in and does not do this, so this seems a strange omission on a larger and more sophisticated DAC.
It does indeed seem very strange to omit this, usb users are now going to have to shell out another £30 on an isolator.
Poor show Audiolab.

vvv*Feeble attempt at humour* vvv

;-) And then bodges the crap out of it... ;-)

^^^*Feeble attempt at humour*^^^

Seriously, it must grate, just a little?

Basil, i'm well aware of when stuff is worth leaving alone...

John says the RF is on the output, not the input. Don't use the XD filter....

I'll turn my attention to the external psu next.

Hi John,

I did try several times, including pausing the track, restart test, then hit the "go to beginning of track |<<" button. No difference. It fails immediately.

It does indeed imply the data from the Sonos is not bit accurate. It would be nice to have proven it wasn't the conversion from WAV to FLAC though, or the way the Sonos handles FLAC vs WAV.

I will be curious if other forum members have different results to me with Sonos. I am wondering though if the Sonos is not bit accurate just at the start, throwing off the test, or continually wrong throughout.

Also John, I noticed , from cold, switching on the M-DAC the reported frequency is more jittery for the first 10 seconds or so, showing 44.095, 44.100 or 44.105. After about 10 seconds it consistently reports 44.100 and doesn't change again.

Hi Jon Statt,

If you PM your Email address I can Email the WAV file - I'm not sure if it’s not going to have the same issue with its header information - but worth a try.

You could try playing the FLAC file from your PC to confirm the File is "Correct"

It would be a shame if the Sonos is not Bit Accurate - but it’s useful to know.

Early days, let’s see if anyone else has success.

Did you say the test passes from your PC?

John

Hi John,

I'll try the test later tonight with my Sonos.

Regarding 44.105 readings etc I do not get this from my Sonos I think I've seen 44.101 once.

I am wondering though if the Sonos is not bit accurate just at the start, throwing off the test, or continually wrong throughout.

It could well be the problem, like a "Fade-in", as we gain more feedback from the Bit accuracy test "usage scenarios", we can try and make it more robust - such as ignore the first half second or so...

It does indeed seem very strange to omit this, usb users are now going to have to shell out another £30 on an isolator.
Poor show Audiolab.

Johns reason was that the USB isolator does a better job when not attached to the chassis.

Still playing around with my laptop USB isolator > MDAC with hi-res files 96/24 Nirvana Nevermind download. Although there is bags of detail, there's also a little harshness at top end, but this could well be the recording. Does anyone have this remastered hi-res version to compare notes ?

John says the RF is on the output, not the input. Don't use the XD filter....

I'll turn my attention to the external psu next.

Hi SQ - was this suggestion in relation to the USB isolation issue?
The problem electrical noise exists just by having the USB lead plugged in, even when using optical as the actual input. The choice of filter makes no difference.

I have swapped the Brio-R out for my Bel Canto S300i and the problem is no longer audible. I guess this means that, while the MDAC passes through the noise, some amps can cope with or reject this better than others.

I noticed , from cold, switching on the M-DAC the reported frequency is more jittery for the first 10 seconds or so, showing 44.095, 44.100 or 44.105. After about 10 seconds it consistently reports 44.100 and doesn't change again.

From Power-up from Cold, this is normal, the MDAC's internal Clock is not temperature compensated - it needs to stabilise at its operating temperature, this will occur within a few minutes of power-up. Once it’s reached its operating temperature it "drifts" about its "Datum" frequency by about 1ppm a day - (1 part per Million) - this is extremely good.

The MDAC's clock is designed for best short-term phase noise performance (Jitter) which is important for Audio - there’s a compromise between achieving best short-term phase noise (Jitter) over best long-term accuracy.

For best short-term clock accuracy we bias the oscillator circuit with higher current (this reduces noise) - but this degrades the longer-term "aging" of the Crystal, long-term aging (frequency drift) does not effect the sound quality (“aging” is measured in days, weeks and years).

Also due to internal PSU filtering, the PSU rails take 10's of seconds to reach there "set" operating levels - this will also effect the clock.

The DPLL BW of the PLL circuits is in the sub Hz region (Sub Hz performance is the great advantage of Digital PLL's), so these will also take some seconds to "settle".

Basically, normal - don't worry about it :)

John

@Orang, that's what I took it to mean. That there was RF on the outputs according to which filter you used, I wasn't discussing RF passthrough from USB input with john.

Stick a USB filter on the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back