advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would explain my impression of the unit now being brighter.
Thanks for the insights.
I intend to make a new casing from perforated aluminum to help cool it; not necessary as I know now but I will feel more at ease.
For me that's a bit scary. My own original mdac is already a little too bright. Your unit must have been very 'dark' indeed.

Michael

You just have to stop playing Diablo with it.
Well, it's mostly thunderbird and firefox that are - for no apparent reason - overusing the CPU. Add bad cooling system design inside the laptop (Thinkpad X220) and known overheating issues. Then add extremely f*cked up design of the docking station / minidock in regard to X220 (upper left - yes, the fan blows right to a "wall", 1-2mm space, what comes through the holes is forced to turn 90deg right away and exit via a tiny hole on the top). That's my recipe for 95C CPU (yes, core) temp. :)

Adding an external 120mm PC fan helped somewhat, manually disabling Intel Turbo Boost (yeah, linux kernel 3.9 can do that) helped even more. Now it doesn't go above 70C or so.

Maybe because is suffers also from exhaust from the PS3 sitting next to it.
That depends on how hot the air is. It might make the MDAC feel warmer (heating larger surface area), but the actual temperature might be lower, due to the air still being cooler than the MDAC.

You just have to stop playing Diablo with it.
:)
95C is too much (even if those are core temperatures). It wouldn't last long, you're aware of that probability, right?

To get on topic, my Mdac really gets hot, but only when I'm using it. Maybe because is suffers also from exhaust from the PS3 sitting next to it.
When idle, it's just mildly warm.

Michael

I've posted before - here is a thermal image of the MDAC top view at an ambient room temp of about 24 Deg...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC Thermal 15.6V.jpg

The hottest the case gets is about 38Deg, the heatsinks can been seen though the vent holes at about 43 DegC...

The unit had been left powered for a few days...

Raw DC = 15.6V

I've posted before - here is a thermal image of the MDAC top view at an ambient room temp of about 24 Deg...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC Thermal 15.6V.jpg

The hottest the case gets is about 38Deg, the heatsinks can been seen though the vent holes at about 43 DegC...

The unit had been left powered for a few days...

Raw DC = 15.6V
Ops, I guess I've missed it. Nice image. Thanks.
But was it supposed to be the same being idle, or in use? Class A usually implies that, but I found significant differences between the two 'states'.

Michael

Ops, I guess I've missed it. Nice image. Thanks.
But was it supposed to be the same being idle, or in use? Class A usually implies that, but I found significant differences between the two 'states'.

Michael

There very little difference between ideal and operation (maybe 10mA to 20mA) - so the heat difference must be due to the PS3...

Hot, i'll give you hot....

9382794617_faa572ec05_c.jpg

98lbs of Class A room heater.

There very little difference between ideal and operation (maybe 10mA to 20mA) - so the heat difference must be due to the PS3...

Just tested it. I've took it off the shelve, put it on the floor and it didn't warmed noticeably during 1 hour of active use. A big difference from my typical previous experiences. So I guess it must be the heat from the PS3 that is preventing the mdac to cool down effectively.

Michael

Hi John,

I am interested in upgrading my M-Dac with the new PCB, and ready to pledge money to make it happen. Could you add me in the list?

As for the resistors, I think I will go for the Toy option.

-tto

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back