advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While MDAC is away being looked at I have pulled out some vinyl. Kin ell playing at full tilt what a fabulous sound. I'm using a Clearaudio solution turntable with unify arm and sumiko blue point II which I bought a few years ago 2nd hand because it looked fantastic and was very cheap ( I have noticed the unify cost double what I paid for the lot!!) Not exactly the way to buy but I'm not the only one to please here. I still don't have a decent phono stage so it goes through my Denon 3805 receiver before being fed into my Krell kav400xi. Strange how the remote won't skip tracks though. Just have to listen to the whole album!

Changed my mind already. Can't find the albums I want from looking at the ends without turning the lights up and putting glasses on :rolleyes: Yes Jriver is much more user friendly for us old timers

Interesting to get your comments. To quote the review Tonal neutrality, dynamic reach and deep bass Excellent but what about sound stage - do they just do AC/DC live (I mean LIVE!!!) or The Wailin' Jennys in intimate detail as JW describes?
I've no idea what Wailin' Jennys are and I suspect it wouldn't be my sort of thing, but they certainly do AC/DC as it's intended to be done, and in terms of sound-stage, I have no complaints about them; for big speakers, they sure 'disappear'. Apart from sheer size and cost, they have no downsides. They're particularly subtle for big speakers; capable of the most delicate intricacies of sound. Best speakers I have owned by a long shout. And I'm hopeful to be keeping 'em...

Could it be due to the hot weather somehow? Wonder if the speaker drivers are effected by these high temps - it was 30Degs in the lab yesterday :(

Heat is a known problem for speaker coils. But usually the source is the music itself, not the weather. :)
Most probably, the weather is affecting the natural cooling process.

Here's a quote from a JBL FAQ:
"
What is "power compression"?
Speaker voice coils are made of copper or aluminum. As these voice coils increase in temperature during normal operation, the DC resistance of the voice coil increases. Greater voice coil resistance means less power transfer from the amplifier. As a result, the speaker will not play as loud when it's "warmed up" as it did when it was "cold". Some speakers may exhibit 3 to 6 dB of power compression. This means that power compression can have the same effect as taking away half of your PA!

JBL has gone to great lengths to reduce the effects of power compression. Our VGC™ (Vented Gap Cooling) and TTM™ (Total Thermal Management) technologies effectively dissipate heat for reduced power compression and increased reliability. In addition, some models use liquid-cooled (ferrofluid-cooled) voice coils.
"
Source: http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/faqgeneralaudio.aspx

Michael

Changed my mind already. Can't find the albums I want from looking at the ends without turning the lights up and putting glasses on :rolleyes: Yes Jriver is much more user friendly for us old timers

Same here, though the complexity of JRiver gets to me sometimes.:(

I've no idea what Wailin' Jennys are and I suspect it wouldn't be my sort of thing, but they certainly do AC/DC as it's intended to be done, .

The Wailin' Jennys-40 Days has a cover of a Neil Young track (Old Man), sounds excellent even on Adam Artist 6.

The Wailin' Jennys-40 Days has a cover of a Neil Young track (Old Man), sounds excellent even on Adam Artist 6.

It is compulsory for all MDAC L2/L3 owners to also own The Wailin' Jennys-40 Days album.

Lots of good CD players and DACs have the requisite thwack to do justice to rock music but what separates good DACs from world class ones is the ability to do pervasive subtlety. Tasha is blown away by what the L3 Toy MDAC can do to the extent that last night, for the first time, she asked me for instructions on how to switch the amps on and off and how to load a disc into the tray.

It would seem that I'm now sharing my hi-fi. :D

It is compulsory for all MDAC L2/L3 owners to also own The Wailin' Jennys-40 Days album.

Oh dear. What's the penalty? I doubt I'll ever possess one.

Lots of good CD players and DACs have the requisite thwack to do justice to rock music but what separates good DACs from world class ones is the ability to do pervasive subtlety. Tasha is blown away by what the L3 Toy MDAC can do to the extent that last night, for the first time, she asked me for instructions on how to switch the amps on and off and how to load a disc into the tray.

I agree with the point about subtlety, though.

- Richard.

Sorry, Stephen, I gave up letting my hifi dictate my musical purchases years ago. Sure, I like everything to sound good, but I'd rather great music sounding poor than poor music sounding great.

This is not to say that your Wailin' Jennys is bad - I have never heard them - just that I've fallen into the audiofool music trap many times before. However, if you are certain that the music itself is first rate - forget the sound for a moment, will ya? ;-) - then please tell me where I should start...

PS. No problems with either subtlety or slam with my system; can't wait to hear it with the updated MDAC too...

Sorry, Stephen, I gave up letting my hifi dictate my musical purchases years ago. Sure, I like everything to sound good, but I'd rather great music sounding poor than poor music sounding great.

This is not to say that your Wailin' Jennys is bad - I have never heard them - just that I've fallen into the audiofool music trap many times before. However, if you are certain that the music itself is first rate - forget the sound for a moment, will ya? ;-) - then please tell me where I should start...

The compulsory comment was tongue-in-cheek. Your misspelling of my first name suggests mild irritation on your part.

The internet lacks nuance.

Have you had a chance to listen to your Fusioned MDAC?...

I'm hoping "Goose bumps" are being induced by your unit :D :D :D

I miss your unit - it was here for so long I got used to the "Fusioned" sound!

Quickly listened to it this morning; playing now but no serious listening.
Goose bumps was for some songs I listened to.
Will report more later.
Returned from holiday with a cold...

I bought the wailin Jenny's cd. Distinctly underwhelmed.

Sounds good i suppose. But not my thing at all. Somewhat watery bland.for me.

Same here, though the complexity of JRiver gets to me sometimes.:(

True. If I haven't done any configuring on Jriver for a while I have to learn it all over again. Can be frustrating to do simple stuff. Love the way you can chose output automatically. Works great for music and films for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back