advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its my Duty!!! to swap out those Multicomp resistors for you... Its my bad that they are even in your unit in the first instance - I have no problem to upgrade your unit to Toy+ spec. (Sorry I forgot to add you to the earlier list of units that are scheduled to be upgraded and are not stacked up behind me here in Czech).

Best wait for the AV bypass option until the MDAC2 PCB is released.

Thank you very much John.
I'm perfectly fine with the AV bypass when the MDAC2 PCB is released.
I'll write you and Renata an email this evening as a still have a couple of doubts I hope you could help shed some light on.

OOPS! Took my off the forum for a moment, and everything changes...
At present my MDAC is in the pile at John's waiting for my Fusion resistors, its been on its holiday since the end of April 8-(
As far as I can work out I can:
Have my MDAC upgraded to the "Fusion" spec now, and then have a new PCB later, but I'll then need to get another set of resistors. (do I qualify for the "at cost" list)
Go to the "Toy" level now, and leave my Fusion resistors in Czech and get a new PCB, and send in some Toy resistors later. (do I qualify for the "at cost" list)
Or I could get a new unit built from a repair MDAC - and just get a set of Fusion resistors to go in it when I order it (John, how much would this cost me)
I'm tempted by this latter option, as I think we may find that a Fusioned MDAC will be quite saleable on eBay... but who knows...

I'd also rather like an analogue volume control on the AV by-pass, or at least an external remote volume control for my vinyl - if the MPAX isn't going to appear any time soon...

John given that no one has ever complained about lack of level is there any scope for reducing the output of the DAC electrically rather than digitally. The Weiss offers selectable maximum output voltages from half a volt upwards to the industry standard.

Oh yes pleeeeaaaase? :)

Edit ps.

Obviously posted this without reading the rest of the thread. :(

Anyone had any news from the hi-FI collective?

Hope he hasn't ordered too many too soon. But I do hope he has my toys :))

Go to the "Toy" level now, and leave my Fusion resistors in Czech and get a new PCB, and send in some Toy resistors later. (do I qualify for the "at cost" list)
This. No reason to use John's limited time to tune your unit to Fusion spec, if you a bit later will upgrade it to MK2.

I think we may find that a Fusioned MDAC will be quite saleable on eBay...
If you make a profit, I hope you send it to John.

I'll look into it (Basically if I have time left) - otherwise I can design a dongle that attaches to the MDAC2 rear Communication Bus for 12V Triggers.

Thanks John,

it's a pain for me that my mono-blocks take a while to sense the music before they turn on. Much better to have a trigger.

Cheers, Derek

Thanks John,

it's a pain for me that my mono-blocks take a while to sense the music before they turn on. Much better to have a trigger.

Cheers, Derek

Yes, this can be an internal optional board - which would not be as hard as the selectable Gain - I'll try :)

Oh sorry, I didn't know we are here to make a profit out of John's work. Maybe I should want my unit Fusioned, too, just to be able to sell it on eBay.

I do believe you mis-read the fellows post.

And once its paid for the manufacturer's financial interest in the product ends.

It becomes the property of the owner to with as he will.

Sell it, set fire to it, keep it forever, donate it to the monkey club jamboree car boot sale or anything that may please the owner.

Unclench.

My CDQ is for sale, the only one to have been modified by John. I expect to get virtually what I paid for it two years ago as a bog-standard model. The proceeds will be ploughed into a replacement transport and future Lakewest upgrades. I don't call that profiteering, I call it recycling of funds.

Later on the L2 MDAC Toy could be sold (or recycled with the difference paid out to John) to to fund the MDAC Mk2 which in turn could be sold to fund a TDAC.

Play nicely boys. There are 2 points of view there, why not just agree to differ.

Actually there are not.

Once I bought an amp from eBay. Sold it about a year later for about 40quid 'profit'.

Should I send this to the seller from whom I bought it?

The notion that someone cannot sell their own, paid for, stuff is bloody half arsed, botty licking nonsense.

Such sycophants irritate me.

I may have indicated such in the tone of a post or two.

Oh sorry, I didn't know we are here to make a profit out of John's work. Maybe I should want my unit Fusioned, too, just to be able to sell it on eBay.

I've been thinking that in fact it might make better financial sense to spend the GBP350 or so for a salvaged unit and either keeping the MDAC TOY version or selling them as its really a shame to "scrape" such an excellent performing DAC...

Lets say they could be sold swiftly for say GBP400 to GBP600 they are so much better then any DAC that can be bought at the price - and will bring enjoyment to more people :) - they are also covered by a lifetime warranty (with the usual restrictions).

Just a shame to "scrape" a Toy MDAC for the sake of say GBP350 and a replacement set of resistors...

I do think that that idea of getting a second usable DAC for £350 is already a nice "gift."

Given that John has made those of us who sent him MDACs an extra favour by offering the upgraded boards at cost, I do not think it is fair to ask him to put the long hours it takes to "fusion" units as well.

There is a risk here of killing the golden goose (sorry John for the fowl analogy ;-) ). We could take a short term view, but I'd rather have John create new products from my longer term enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back