advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steven, ive got a bit lost on the thread, have you got your upgraded MDAC back yet and tried it against/with and without your grounded grid preamp yet?

Cheers :)

Not yet. I am behind Johan in the queue + from 8 to 12 July I am in Bratislava (quite near to John's, nearer than Prague in fact) but I have no intentions of taking possession of it while I am there because Blava isn't the safest place in the EU...

It will therefore likely arrive some time after 12th July.

At first, I wanted to hear glorious reports of how good the upgrades were. Well I got my wish, and now I'm suffering a bad bout of impatience :D It's only going to get worse once Fusion posts his reactions to his unit.

The only thing that can cure me is a dispatch email from Hifi collective :D

For my part, I'm really interested to find out whether the fusioned MDAC will drive my HD800 headphones as well as my Violectric V200 does (which is better than the stock MDAC to my ears).

At first, I wanted to hear glorious reports of how good the upgrades were. Well I got my wish, and now I'm suffering a bad bout of impatience :D It's only going to get worse once Fusion posts his reactions to his unit.

The only thing that can cure me is a dispatch email from Hifi collective :D

For my part, I'm really interested to find out whether the fusioned MDAC will drive my HD800 headphones as well as my Violectric V200 does (which is better than the stock MDAC to my ears).

The L2/Toy/Fusion has a totally reworked output stage - greater ClassA operating area, greater output current and lower output impedance so it will be interesting indeed :)

The L2/Toy/Fusion has a totally reworked output stage - greater ClassA operating area, greater output current and lower output impedance so it will be interesting indeed :)

With this in mind when you get the chance can you update the specs off the headphone output balanced mod please.

MDAC will drive 30 ohms no problem but is current limited to +/-150mA or so..[/QUOTE said:
Busy weighing up which model to buy.
Any news on the Jiri suggestion in regards to front balanced headphone socket ?
And also confirmation that the Mamp/Mimp will do av bypass.
As per previous posts a few pages back.

Many thanks.

With this in mind when you get the chance can you update the specs off the headphone output balanced mod please.

Busy weighing up which model to buy.
And also confirmation that the Mamp/Mimp will do av bypass.
As per previous posts a few pages back.

Many thanks.

Specs' have not really changed - I've tested to 3Vrms into 50ohms without an issue and that's a decent power level...

I don't have access to the connector yet to see it can be fitted to the front panel - would have to order from Farnell at some stage - sadly I really need to get Johans unit out before I can spend time on anything else... But rear panel socket is no issue.

Yes, Mimp will have an AV bypass option :)

There are some miniXLR PCB-mountable male sockets available on the Internet, the problem is that there's again no "standard" for pin placement - you can easily come across 3 different versions of ie. 4-pin minixlr socket/plug.

The most common seems to be what ie. Redco sells - http://www.redco.com/Mini-XLR/ (none of it is PCB-mountable). The same pinout is also used by various stuff on ebay - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=370839811548 . This pinout also seems to be used by Switchcraft, which makes PCB-mountable versions - http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=620 , see the related PDF - http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/TRAPC_X-TRASM_X_SERIES_CD.PDF .

No idea whether those would be long or large/small enought to fit the hole on MDAC's front panel and how much extra PCB work would they require (if they could be fitted at all). In the end, it might be just easier to use the panel-mountable version and use some detachable cord, so the front panel could still be removed.

No sign of insert/remove detection mechanism, so shorting some extra pin would be probably the way to go.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
...and going backwards to version a.08 doesn't help either. Headphones have both channels. If I remember right, there has been this kind of problems before with other users.

Restarting M-DAC
Segmentation fault: 11
logout
Segmentation fault is normally a program (app) error. It occurs when an application tries to access a (virtual) memory region that has not been allocated (or has been freed). Long story short - it's an unhandled program state, bug in the program itself, probably caused by some unexpected state of things (well, unexpected to the creators of the program).

Segmentation fault is normally a program (app) error. It occurs when an application tries to access a (virtual) memory region that has not been allocated (or has been freed). Long story short - it's an unhandled program state, bug in the program itself, probably caused by some unexpected state of things (well, unexpected to the creators of the program).
Ok. Everything worked perfectly until I reinstalled the newest software. It went through without any problems. However, after that I have had only the left channel. Frustrating. I try to go back to the 0.90 (with my wifes laptop-pc). Let's see, what happens... Hopefully it helps.

Edit: it didn't help. On the second time the sound is back, so no big deal I guess.

Ok. Everything worked perfectly until I reinstalled the newest software. It went through without any problems. However, after that I have had only the left channel. Frustrating. I try to go back to the 0.90 (with my wifes laptop-pc). Let's see, what happens... Hopefully it helps.

Edit: it didn't help.

I don't think it's a software problem. In that case both headphone out and rear outputs should be affected.

Either it's a problem with the left channel relay or a problem with the left channel output at the rear panel or your cables, amp, ...

Have you tried connecting your amps right channel to the left channel output?

Edit: it didn't help.
To be more specific - the message is printed by the default handler (list of instructions) of the SIGSEGV signal, which kernel sends to a userspace program. The handler also causes the program to exit right after printing that message, likely with an exit code of 137 (IIRC).

Where are you getting it? .. I presume it's either the fault of the music player itself, some library or perhaps even a driver part that's running in an x86 protected mode. Most likely the player/library though as the error is considered a *very* serious one and often leads to security issues, so I don't expect such thing in the kernel.

edit: That said, the left channel problem is probably of different nature, try exercising the relay(s).

I don't think it's a software problem. In that case both headphone out and rear outputs should be affected.

Either it's a problem with the left channel relay or a problem with the left channel output at the rear panel or your cables, amp, ...

Have you tried connecting your amps right channel to the left channel output?
It worked a while until I updated to the last software version. Then the right channel was again away.

Amp is ok and so are the cables. I changed the cable the other way to the amp and got the left channel from the MDAC giving sound to the amplifiers right channel as expected. So no faulty amp or cable. I even changed the cable to be sure.

If this is not a software problem and it is a sticky relay, I probably need to send the unit back to John as I just received it today from him. It is a pitty indeed.

To be more specific - the message is printed by the default handler (list of instructions) of the SIGSEGV signal, which kernel sends to a userspace program. The handler also causes the program to exit right after printing that message, likely with an exit code of 137 (IIRC).

Where are you getting it? .. I presume it's either the fault of the music player itself, some library or perhaps even a driver part that's running in an x86 protected mode. Most likely the player/library though as the error is considered a *very* serious one and often leads to security issues, so I don't expect such thing in the kernel.

edit: That said, the left channel problem is probably of different nature, try exercising the relay(s).
The software warning was only once there, when I updated to the latest software version - it gave the warning in the end of the update.

The one channel problems is both with my cd player via coax as well as with my computer via usb. I will try my dvd player via optical, but presume this doesn't work either.

I will not disturb any more with this today. Let's see if I can get it working again.

You can always try to "cure" a sticky relay by applying some gentle force to the chassis (yes, hit it :)). Also try reconncting the headphones several times.

Power cycle the unit - or thump the top!

I might even start replacing the relays by default!

Try headphones, should work on both channels (ifs its a bad relay).

The headphones work correctly, both channels.

Edit a couple of minutes later: tapping the unit gave the right channel back.

Edit five minutes later: now I have the latest firmware. Tapping on the unit helped again. This is a bit frustrating, and if I remember correctly, I am not the only one that has had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back