advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The software warning was only once there, when I updated to the latest software version - it gave the warning in the end of the update.
If the warning was really from the MDAC update program and the PC you were updating on doesn't have hardware or software (kernel) somehow damaged, then Dominik should probably revisit his code as this issue might brick the MDAC (if it's possible) or at least leave the programmed code (EEPROM? flash?) in an inconsistent state, possibly causing dangerous things. I can imagine debugging the issue being quite hard if it can't be reliably reproduced, though.

The headphones work correctly, both channels.

Edit a couple of minutes later: tapping the unit gave the right channel back.

Damn Relays :( :( :( :( :( :(

Anyway you can still listen to your unit to give us feedback! Relay can be fixed any time as long as it works even if you have to tap the top of the unit...

I did notice then when your unit relays "Clicked" they did not click together... so you had a very slight double click - this might be indicative of bad relay (a sluggish relay)...

If the warning was really from the MDAC update program and the PC you were updating on doesn't have hardware or software (kernel) somehow damaged, then Dominik should probably revisit his code as this issue might brick the MDAC (if it's possible) or at least leave the programmed code (EEPROM? flash?) in an inconsistent state, possibly causing dangerous things. I can imagine debugging the issue being quite hard if it can't be reliably reproduced, though.
It was with my MacBookPro. The computer is in full condition and works perfectly.

The MDAC has inherent protection against being "bricked" and corrupted firmware upload (CRC checking is performed on each block) and the whole firmware is only committed to memory if the file is complete and correct - so this is not a concern.

Damn Relays :( :( :( :( :( :(

Anyway you can still listen to your unit to give us feedback! Relay can be fixed any time as long as it works even if you have to tap the top of the unit...

I did notice then when your unit relays "Clicked" they did not click together... so you had a very slight double click - this might be indicative of bad relay (a sluggish relay)...
The unit gets quite warm. Can I still keep it on all the time (exept when I am not at home for a longer time). Then I wouldn't have to be tapping the unit every now and then.

The unit gets quite warm. Can I still keep it on all the time (exept when I am not at home for a longer time). Then I wouldn't have to be tapping the unit every now and then.

Yes, no problem, I never turn off my unit!

I just finished soldering my first set of xlr cables! :)

IMG_20130628_202144_small.jpg

I also got rid of the analogue signal processor for my speakers. Now I'm all set for the fusion'ed MDAC.

I just finished soldering my first set of xlr cables! :)

Van Damme cable ? hope you used some silver in the solder. It's addictive I'm on my 4th set.
XLR is the way to go. Chuck all the single ended stuff back in the Ark along with the Scart leads.

Hi John
My unit was one of the early first batch of MDAC to arrive in the UK and I have been very pleased with it.
I would in fact like to buy another for my other system
Can I buy a new modded (black) unit direct from lakewest ?
If so what are the prices and spec of the different variations incl shipping to UK
Many thanks

Van Damme cable ? hope you used some silver in the solder. It's addictive I'm on my 4th set.
XLR is the way to go. Chuck all the single ended stuff back in the Ark along with the Scart leads.

Actually it's a Sommercable Albedo Mk II. Pretty cheap at about 6€/meter.

I used simple Sn60Pb40 on this one. But I can use Sn62Pb36Ag2 or Sn95,5Ag3,8Cu0,7 on the next one and compare them.

Thanks John and Jirij for your replies. :)

I'll change my order from mm av bypass to balanced headphone socket please. If this okay.
Will be happy with rear option if this is easier.

Let me know if there is a balance to pay.

Thanks

OT... JohnW have a full inbox, so i hope he will read it in this thread...

Hello John,

I will get my brand new M-DAC at tuesday, and I really want the best. So I am really excited by your offer in major update of this unit. My only condition is that I am there with you, and you'll give me the original parts (and explain why are you changing them).
From your posts about D1 (very, very true...) I assume you are located around Brno. I live in Prague right now, but I studied at The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication at Brno University of Technology. I am mobile, so that is not a problem at all.

I know a few things about analog filters and FFT transforms (windows like Hanning and basic theoretical principles) from school so I would love to hear your thoughts about your methods, design and modifications.

And last, but not least, what kind of beverage do you like? :) , I could bring anything you like (except Becherovka, I will explain when we meet. That one had really bad consequences for me, if You know what I mean).

Thank you for Your time,

I hope we meet someday.

Sincerely,
Z.P.

P.S.: If you prefer talking in the Czech language, there is no problem at all!

I know a few things about analog filters and FFT transforms (windows like Hanning and basic theoretical principles) from school so I would love to hear your thoughts about your methods, design and modifications.

In England you might be liable for a £9,000 tuition fee :D

- Richard.

I just wanted to talk to the author, what are you talking about? I am really from Czech republic and I really want to improve my (future, right now) unit.

Well you might say, I am willing to pay my tuition fee in booze :)

And to be honest, both my hands are "left", so I cannot reproduce what I see, in this case :).

But I would love to talk to the author (and use my "advantage" in this case (not visible on my paycheck) in geographical location).

I like this forum a lot, cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back