advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello!
I have a problem with playback via USB through foobar (WASAPI, ASIO4all, DS) - flushing buffer (4) ... (3) .. (2)
firmware A.08
Lenovo laptop
music from HDD

Hello,

Brought home an M-dac yesterday. All is good using with old cd player as transport via coax, but problems with Windows 8 computer as source. I installed drivers as instructed in manual but I'm getting lots of static and a stuttering flushing buffer display on the M-dac. Tried my wife's Windows 7 computer and no problem. Driver seemed to install differently with Windows 7 with progress displayed on screen and restart required. Installing on the Windows 8 computer no restart asked for but the drivers appear installed. I'd like to uninstall the drivers and reinstall but the uninstall option is greyed out. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The problem appears to be related to USB 3.0 ports - for some reason USB3.0 host controllers can split the audio frames at the 16Bit boundary (each complete audio frame is 24Bits). The solution is to configure the the USB port in the PC's Bios to USB 2.0 Mode only.

Sorry, but we do not support Windows 8 - some have reported here that Windows 8 works without issue, others have experienced problems.

Hi John,

Will the MIMP sound better than the Creek Evolution 50A? :D

The Creek Evolution 50A is an integrated amplifier while the MIMP is a power amplifier so your not comparing the same.

The Creek Evolution 50A is a Transistor based design with a pair of transistors per channel, while the MIMP is a MOSFET design with 10 output devices per channel allowing you to drive difficult low impedance loads - you cannot really compare the designs (we did not design the power amplifier section in Evolution 50A)...

(from a bit different bucket)

John, could you please provide more specifics about the upcoming "MIMP" on

a) How exactly will MDAC and MIMP be connected (hardware level)? What kind of connector will be used (is it 2.5mm or 3.5mm, TRS or TS)? Is there any length limitation of the bus connection? Is there a problem with daisy-chaining two MIMPs via MDAC (the MDAC being in the middle, using both IN and OUT)?

b) Will a new MDAC firmware be needed for the MIMP to interact with MDAC?

I plan to have two MIMPs away from the MDAC (~10m cable) and I'm not sure whether ~10m of cable connecting the controlling bus of MDAC and MIMPs would work.

Still planning various furniture moves, that's why I ask in advance.

Thanks for any information.

The MIMP's communicate via the MDAC's rear panel IR Out connector (we can supply a small splitter / isolator PCB to allow two units to connect at the MDAC, rather then a simple Daisy chain type connection.

Connection is via 3.5mm "stereo" type Jacks.

10 Meters is a long distance - (this also means you also have 10m audio connections!) - that's a large room indeed, however with the Splitter / Buffer board 10m should be no problem.

New firmware is require for the system communication's - the current software has no idea about the pending MTRN, MIMP's & MPAX designs. Once I have the Mimps I'll spend time to insure we maintain V0.90 SQ with the enhanced software build.

John

The Creek Evolution 50A is an integrated amplifier while the MIMP is a power amplifier so your not comparing the same.

The Creek Evolution 50A is a Transistor based design with a pair of transistors per channel, while the MIMP is a MOSFET design with 10 output devices per channel allowing you to drive difficult low impedance loads - you cannot really compare the designs (we did not design the power amplifier section in Evolution 50A)...

sorry if i missed it somewhere, but the approximate price for MIMP will be ?

talking about different species:

If it beats Hypex nc400 sonically and pricewise, I'm afraid you won't be able to keep up with demand ;)

Akasha,

We have yet to have final pricing from the factory, but we are targeting a £400 + Vat price point (that's for a 50W+50W or 100W Bridged design).

John,

Either would be fine. I think black although all my other components are starting to become silver... Tougher to color match however.

Also, how difficult should the volume knob be to turn? Mine has significant resistance but does turn with effort. Any ideas how to determine if it's in the "normal" range?

Thanks,

Noted thanks - I'll try to bring the subject up at the Munich show - better to speak with the guys at Audiolab in person after a few or more beers...

John, a while back you showed us some pictures of the cases of the MAMP and the MPAX. I’m interested in that power switch you used. I’m planning on building a nice housing for the Community Squeezebox that goes nicely with the M-DAC.
Where did you buy that switch from? I guess those MAMP and MPAX housings were custom build?

ERH!!!! Dont talk to me about that bloody SWITCH!

We sourced it from a vendor in China - with claims it had the required safety certifications - and only when we asked for the documentation required for our product safety certification application we discovered it did not - despite the safety logos being indicated on the switch body... Welcome to China!

How many chassis do you need? They are our own custom design - using our tooling.

We could manufacture a batch of chassis for you - our just supply a single unit if its for your own build.

The Chassis are not cheap as they are all aluminium - but are very solid and match the MDAC.

John

Could some kind soul tell me if I need attenuators to run my NAP140 using my MDac as a pre? What cable would I need from MDac RCAs to Naim?

Sorry, I have no idea about Naim - I'm sure others here might be able to help.

Nice gesture John! I would like to second that sentiment for this man's contribution! (..of course I can't guarantee that the MDAC would work after my upgrade :rolleyes:)

Indeed :)

I felt bad when I could not arrange a discount on Adrian's MDAC (I your recall the first batch of PFM MDACs where sold discounted to PFM who had pre-ordered - as the MDAC ended up costing more then we expected).

Akasha,

We have yet to have final pricing from the factory, but we are targeting a £400 + Vat price point (that's for a 50W+50W or 100W Bridged design).

makes perfect sense, I'll take one for a start anytime, untill then I will enjoy the MDAC/nc400 minor magic combination

OK, thanks for the explanation :)

ERH!!!! Dont talk to me about that bloody SWITCH!

We sourced it from a vendor in China - with claims it had the required safety certifications - and only when we asked for the documentation required for our product safety certification application we discovered it did not - despite the safety logos being indicated on the switch body... Welcome to China!

Ooh, opened up a can of worms here... Hope I didn’t ruin your day!

How many chassis do you need? They are our own custom design - using our tooling. We could manufacture a batch of chassis for you - our just supply a single unit if its for your own build. The Chassis are not cheap as they are all aluminium - but are very solid and match the MDAC.
John

Currently I need only 1 piece. But maybe there will be other people interested once the project is finished. I’m posting my efforts on the Slimdevices forum.
I would need one in black (my M-DAC is black).
Could you PM me the costs and shipping details?
Thank you for the offer. You guys are great!

Ooh, opened up a can of worms here... Hope I didn’t ruin your day!

Currently I need only 1 piece. But maybe there will be other people interested once the project is finished. I’m posting my efforts on the Slimdevices forum.
I would need one in black (my M-DAC is black).
Could you PM me the costs and shipping details?
Thank you for the offer. You guys are great!

OK, I'll arrange you a blank chassis & switch - what colour Black or Silver?

It might have to resort to hand carrying it back from China during my next trip so if you can hold on for awhile...

OK, I'll arrange you a blank chassis & switch - what Back or Silver?

It might have to resort to hand carrying it back from China during my next trip so if you can hold on for awhile...

A black one please.
No problem on timing though. I’m still in prototype phase… still some things to do before I will be able to put in an enclosure. Thanks again John, I really appreciate your efforts.

Sorry, I have no idea about Naim - I'm sure others here might be able to help.

You might well need a low pass filter to be built into the cables as the 140 expects a band limited signal that has passed through the 729 circuit. Maybe. It should be ok. All you need is a 2x RCA to DIN 5 pin cable.

Thanks, I have an RCA to DIN I use at the minute to connect MDac to NAC72. I thought the pins were different on the 72 outputs and 140 inputs so was afraid to use it. Sorry going a bit OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back