advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

pfm member
To enable me to gauge the potential interest in the MDAC Mainboard upgrades, I would like to open an “Interest list”. If there is significant interest then I’ll start to put the systems into place to professionally handle the upgrades.

By modifying your unit we well be voiding the Audiolab original warranty we therefore assume the original warranty obligations (and conditions) with a *Lifetime warranty subject to the following additional conditions :-

The *Lifetime warranty applies for as long as we are able to reasonably obtain any necessary replacement components.

• *Lifetime warranty on the upgraded MDAC Excluding* lifetime limited components such as capacitors and the OLED display etc.

*Excluded after two years from original purchase date (So ALL components are covered within the original two year warranty period).

Any “Lifetime limited” components that require replacement two years after the original purchase date will be replaced at cost (the owner covers shipping and applicable component costs, we cover the balance, i.e. servicing, non “lifetime” component failure costs and our handling etc).

• Mechanical parts are not covered under the warranty – we have limited access to replacement mechanical parts – so PLEASE insure your MDAC is suitably packed and protected before shipping as we will be unable to repair any physical damage incurred during shipping – we CANNOT be responsible for any damage incurred during shipping.

• Your DAC will be returned to you in the same packaging you originally forwarded it too us – so please consider the packaging needs to be significantly robust for the return shipping.

• Warranty shipping costs at owner’s expense.

• The Warranty is transferable (the warranty covers the unit irrespective of ownership).

At this time, the offer is only open to customers within the EU due to Customs import and export complications.

Cost for the update is GBP200 + shipping (I'm based in Czech Rep.). Shipping to the UK is around GBP27 – most other counties in mainland EU tend to be a little cheaper. Please only ship the MDAC unit itself (don’t ship the PSU adaptor or the remote handset as these just add weight and could be accidentally misplaced).

Each updated MDAC qualifies for a GBP50 discount on the MPAX (if it is released to production).

We will endeavor to modify your MDAC within 3 working days. If your unit has experienced any issues such as sticky relays or power-up issues, please inform us by attaching a note to your unit and we will undertake to fault find and repair the unit inclusive to the upgrade cost.

The MDAC upgrade interest list:-

Arthur

Plutox

MartinDurham

Joker_Hartmann

realysm42

simonom

mark.king

Yanntoe (Ian)

WAD62

Wil_Wheaton

EIffel

Alan Brown

therixonator (James)

@home

Ian M

logecon

jamjar784

amershamman (Chris)

jirij

mnewbould

00fiete

uwe061

jarip

wintoid

MattN

Richard Kimber

Malyq

PhilCTTE

Obi1

Elviz

mcoteca

ajr37

Sonic_D Kiran

Please let me know if I’ve added you in error – or if you wish to be added to the list.

Thank you for your interest :)

John:

By ' "simple" DIY job ' do you mean simple for people who do their own electronic work and have some experience and skill in these things, or "simple" for someone like me who has no such skills? My skill level is about what is required to replace a CD drive or hard drive on a computer (i.e. unplugging and unscrewing the old one and doing the reverse for the new one).

- Richard.

1. Undo the four back panel screws on the side of the unit.
2. Undo all the screws that retain back panel connectors.
3. Remove the lock-rings from the RCA sockets.
4. Remove the four front panel screws.
5. Remove the back panel
6. Push the contents of your Mdac out of the front of the case.
7. Unplug the rectifier board, replace with new version.
8. Line Up PCB with slots in case work and slide back into case.
9. Attach front panel screws and line up on/off switch
10. Reattach back panel, making sure to fit the plastic rings onto the rca sockets before sliding into back panel (note to self..)
11. Fit four screws into side of back panel.
12. Refit all back panel component mounting screws.
13. Switch on and enjoy.

I would buy an MDAC specifically for this purpose if the TDAC is likely to be another year or more. The total cost for the MDAC + upgrade + postage + a ReSponse Mini (acrylic support costing £40) to house it will be about £900 in total.

I have decided that all system changes are on hold until I have either the latest modded MDAC or the TDAC. If the latter is likely to appear by the end of this year or sooner I would rather wait for that.

I would buy an MDAC specifically for this purpose if the TDAC is likely to be another year or more. The total cost for the MDAC + upgrade + postage + a ReSponse Mini (acrylic support costing £40) to house it will be about £900 in total.

I have decided that all system changes are on hold until I have either the latest modded MDAC or the TDAC. If the latter is likely to appear by the end of this year or sooner I would rather wait for that.
+1 :)

Yes, TDAC's still on the books for this year - I need it as a ultimate sound quality "reference" design platform.

For John West,

Apologies for crossing an Mdac thread, but could not think of another way to attract your attention, however, I noticed mention of an update to the CDQ.

I have an OLED version and am very pleased with the performance and facilities, it sounds excellent, and compares well with the Naim CD1 I used previously, just as important is the multitude of inputs and outputs offered, which for the price is stunning. Question is; do you still update CDQ and will the SQ be improved?

So, please could you let me know if this is possible and the approx cost and timing, my interest is serious!

I run the CDQ into ATC 100 actives

For John West,

Apologies for crossing an Mdac thread, but could not think of another way to attract your attention, however, I noticed mention of an update to the CDQ.

I have an OLED version and am very pleased with the performance and facilities, it sounds excellent, and compares well with the Naim CD1 I used previously, just as important is the multitude of inputs and outputs offered, which for the price is stunning. Question is; do you still update CDQ and will the SQ be improved?

So, please could you let me know if this is possible and the approx cost and timing, my interest is serious!

The CDQ does not benefit entirely from updates because the output stage would seem to be a limiting factor. That said, I am still pleased with the improvements in dynamics and linearity the upgrade brought to mine. If you aren't too far from Staffs you are welcome to hear it if John is still willing to upgrade it as I know it is a bigger ball-ache to upgrade the CDQ than the MDAC and takes longer.

For John West,

The MDAC upgrades can be applied to the CDQ (the CDQ is a harder unit to work on - so GBP250 + shipping), the CDQ is also heaver so shipping will be more expensive - the CDQ will still not sound like an MDAC but will be an improvement over a standard CDQ.

If there's serious interest in the MDAC update (GBP200 + shipping, which to the UK is a tad under GBP30) then I'll start to seriously consider it and start putting the systems in place to handle the updates.

Update service for European customers only due to customs issues.

Maybe a list will help, so I have some idea of the numbers involved.

If your unit is updated, then it’s a "simple" DIY job to add the new PSU card to MDAC as part of the MPAX upgrade (if it happens which depends on its “value for money” compared to the BDAC).

If your unit is updated, then I would take on the warranty obligations for your MDAC - basically in case of any warranty issue you would pay the shipping costs - I will repair your unit.

Lifetime warranty on the updated MDAC excluding components with a finite lifetime (such as the OLED display and Capacitors etc) - in case of "Lifetime components" I'd still service your unit for free (excluding the shipping costs) but would charge you the replacement parts at our cost - Eg. once imported into Europe a new OLED panel cost about GBP15...

If your unit has a known fault (such as a sticky relay) - then please let me know and I'll service the unit during the upgrade.

I can also offer a GBP50 discount on the MPAX package for updated units (IF the MPAX makes it into production).

I believe I might also have an idea to further improve the performance of the "Upgrade" which might help reduce the negative sonic variations between software builds...

If you are considering sending your unit, then original packaging is FULLY recommend, as a couple of recent units sent to me where very badly packaged although luckily relatively undamaged once I spent time "restoring" the units - however be warned that I do not have spare mechanical items!

Hi John

For clarification:

1. I take it that the £200 is for the non DIY MDAC upgrade mods to the main board alone (Sovereign mod?) but does not include the PSU upgrade?

2. The PSU mod is a (£??) DIY option and can be done with or without the 'Sovereign' mod, but should be done with the MPAX upgrade if it goes ahead subject to it being better that the BDAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back