advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Vessa,

My problem is similar to this link
here => MDAC first listen (part XVI) #642
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1897212&postcount=642

When M-dac is on for some time and I switch it on and off, display is ok again. Sound is ok even with display issue.

I do not use any cover. M-dac is situated on the table and nothig is on top of it.

Can you advise me were can I send it for repair(Czech Republic)?

Thank you
Michal

As we are in the Winter months - is your unit cold (say 10Deg) when you first power-up?

iPeng basically turns the iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch into a Squeezebox. iPeng streams music bit perfect so it shouldn't sound any different than the original rip or a local file on the iPad (if the format is the same). With iPeng playback feature enabled there is no need to store music on the iPad but instead leave it on the NAS (or other storage in the network).

Hi thanks for your suggestion. I had checked on ipeng and didn't understand it at first as it states that it is a squeezebox remote and I have no squeezebox. I find it hard to figure out.

What I did is install logitech media server on my imac. Install ipeng on ipad and ipeng on my iphone (later can use as remote I guess). Bought the inapp upgrade to use ipad as a squeezebox player.

I am just playing my first song right now. Does it work? Initial listen is very positive. It does sound like having the file in my ipad but I am doing wifi steraming. Fantastic. Solve my problem of not being able to get a good streamer that outputs usb to the mdac and having a large enough capacity to store all my songs.

Thank you very much!

Do you have any advice on settings that will further optimize the system?

Well... you are a "lucky" guy as John W. is close to you !

Do you meet this issue every time you power ON the DAC ?
Or is it a glitch ?

My suggestion is to put it somewhere aillor and see if you've got the same situation ;)

As the 2 known display problems have come to light during the cold winter days, we suspect that a few display panels might have a problem with there on-board clock circuits taking a little longer to start-up (from cold) - we "should" be able to work around this issue with a software patch...

Once Dominiks completed a little project over the next few days - I'll ask him to update the MDAC software to see if our hunch is correct :)

John

Alas, I was just told that the music player in ipad can stream from imac via home sharing. Sound good as well. So ipeng solution is not needed :). However, ipeng is able to stream correctly to mdac - a 16 bit file as 16 bit in mdac.

ipad music player streams a 16 bit file as 24 bit to mdac, at least the mdac says so.

John: when ipad music player outputs a 16 bit file as 24 bit to mdac, D3E is not activated right? Could you pls answer this one for me. Thank you. I am using FW A08

ohn: when ipad music player outputs a 16 bit file as 24 bit to mdac, D3E is not activated right? Could you pls answer this one for me. Thank you.

Yes, D3E only operates with data below 24 bits - My first concern is why 16 Bit data is being "changed" to 24 bits - maybe the Ipads volume control slider?

John

As we are in the Winter months - is your unit cold (say 10Deg) when you first power-up?

Hi John,

My unit is in the room where temperature is around 21Deg. As of today, even when unit is warmed up issue is present. Turning on and off does not help. Display issue is permanent.

Is it possible to send unit directly to you for repair and also to modify unit to "upgraded" version?

Michal

Yes, D3E only operates with data below 24 bits - My first concern is why 16 Bit data is being "changed" to 24 bits - maybe the Ipads volume control slider?

John

Hi John,

I still couldn't figure it out. In mdac the usb volume is disabled. I am using FW A08. I will try a diff FW tonight and see. Now even the bit perfect file of 16 bit / 44.1kHz is played as 24 bit to the MDAC and the bit perfect test could not run properly. But some files played as 16 bit on the mdac. I will report back when I figure anything out.

I am using the music player in ipad3 connected to mdac via usb.

Cheers. Isaac.

Hey folks (JohnW?): last night suffered continual MDAC resets when playing a Blu Ray disc and using the coaxial digital output into the MDAC. Not seen that before - any thoughts what might have caused it? I ended up giving up on putting the sound through the speakers and reverted to tv-based sound (tinny!) and switched the MDAC off overnight in case it was about to die.

This morning, with USB-based audio, it's working fine,... not tried BD yet. Confusing!

Hey folks, is MDAC better than then the DAC part of 8200CDP? I believe it is, but somebody just told me that 8200 is more HIFI, and has a much better resolution compared with MDAC. I am confused...

Hey folks, is MDAC better than then the DAC part of 8200CDP? I believe it is, but somebody just told me that 8200 is more HIFI, and has a much better resolution compared with MDAC. I am confused...
No, they were confused. MDAC is much better.

Hi Mentt,

Second reported unit with the issue - luckily I'm in Czech near Prostejov - Where are you located in Czech?

John

Ah, birthplace of one of my heroes (well, keeps me in a job anyway) Otto Wichterle - inventor of the soft contact lens.

JTC, my Micromega stage 3 causes my Mdac to reset and lock. It's the only bit of kit that does this and given its age I assume it's somehow out of spec. Have you tried setting the 'pcm out' to 24/96 and see if that helps?

"Opinions are like a**holes -- everyone's got one" - Harry Callahan

That said, IMO, M-DAC is technically better device than the 8200CDP (dac part), so it is also better as a HIFI audio reproduction device.

Hi John,

I still couldn't figure it out. In mdac the usb volume is disabled. I am using FW A08. I will try a diff FW tonight and see. Now even the bit perfect file of 16 bit / 44.1kHz is played as 24 bit to the MDAC and the bit perfect test could not run properly. But some files played as 16 bit on the mdac. I will report back when I figure anything out.

I am using the music player in ipad3 connected to mdac via usb.

Cheers. Isaac.

Hi John, I must say I am quite defeated in this. I could not figure out why my ipad 3 will play the 16bit/44.1kHz bit perfect test file as 24 bit through the MDAC's usb port. And why when I stream through home sharing, all my 16 bit files to the mdac are 24 bit files. I have reverted to 0.90 FW but it did not help a bit. BTW to my ears the A08 sounded better than 0.90, but that's a personal opinion. wav and aiff loaded into the ipad and played came up as 16 bit though. My guess is that the ipad3 has some issues. I will try an ipad2 when I get my hands on one.

Cheers. Isaac.

Hi John,

My unit is in the room where temperature is around 21Deg. As of today, even when unit is warmed up issue is present. Turning on and off does not help. Display issue is permanent.

Is it possible to send unit directly to you for repair and also to modify unit to "upgraded" version?

Michal

Hi John,

Since my last message MDAC is used to be powered ON like it should to be :)
I changed its place, but it's still in the same room...

wait and see

@ Mentt

Did you try to change the location of your MDAC ?
Let MDAC to be unpowered all night and power it ON again...
Tell us if there is the same issue !

After burn in for a week, I finally installed my MDAC (A08) in my system. It's feeding my Quad 909 with Rothwell 10dB attenutors.
I'm very happy with the sound now. My first try (not burned in yet and no attenuation) was a bit dissappointing as the device sounded a bit rough/harsh. This has completely gone now.

Unfortunately, my Apple TV3 isn't useable with optical as it keeps dropping/stuttering. The MDAC display shows it's loosing lock during these dropouts.

As my video is served by a HDMI switch with Coax and Optical audio out, I decided to take the sound from the Apple TV from the switch, using optical. It does improve things, but there's still dropouts. Haven't tried it with Coax yet. All my interconnects are decent QED cables.

Has anyone a suggestion a better solution for the dropout issue? Should coax work better? As a lot of my music is in iTunes and I like to stream BBC iPlayer to my Apple TV, it's a shame that it wont work properly ...

John, can you book me as a pre-order for the upcomming MAMP ? My Quad 909 should fetch a reasonable price and I love the idea to have amps with a better and more modern implementation of Richard Walkers' current dumping design :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back