advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you expect the mainboard upgrade to have more influence than MPAX?

PS: I wouldn't just base on two opinions. I'm too long into audio to believe in objective first opinions on upgrades. People always "hear" much difference, even if they just change a powercord or even a fuse. As long they believe there can be a difference. So for me it's a 100% the first opinions would be tremendous even if the real change is very small if any.

Well I've not heard the MPAX as I've not built it yet - so I can only comment on the Mainboard upgrade which I've implemented on my own MDAC (these updates are different to the Sovereign+ updates).

1. Greater Fine detail

2. Wider sound stage

3. Tighter more defined Bass (more foot tapping)

4. Greater separation between instruments and vocals etc

There is no direct measurable difference on the audio outputs but when combined with the Beta software build we are working on the Signal related modulation artefacts on the Digital Supply rails are reduced by about x1000 (40dB).

I plan to fully measure "Before and after" on JTC unit when I modify it - and post the results here.

The new Beta software is being "fine tuned" with the aim to reduce PSU modulation artefacts by tuning various internal operations modes. Our aim is that by reducing PSU modulation this will directly result in reduced LIM (Logic Induced Modulation) Jitter Levels on the DAC's Silicon die.

After hearing the change the Mainboard modification have brought - I find it hard to believe that the MPAX will bring the same level of improvement - that's why I said the MPAX will be the "icing on the cake"... But that said, I've not heard the MPAX yet...

John

What's the price of the TDAC, is it going to be a product of Lake.West and in another grade compared with mdac ?

The TDAC uses "Hard to source" miniature Tubes within its output stage - and the fact I'll be hand building these units places a limit on numbers.

The TDAC is really an in-house development platform - It serves as our test bed as Dominik builds up the FPGA firmware - more "Improvements" will be added as he builds up the various firmware blocks and ideas we have in mind.

Its a flagship design- the very best of my (our) skills...

A totally different class to MDAC... but anyone who owns a TDAC will have to understand they are part of an ongoing R&D project - this is not a product for everyone!

John

Well I've not heard the MPAX as I've not built it yet - so I can only comment on the Mainboard upgrade which I've implemented on my own MDAC (these updates are different to the Sovereign+ updates).

1. Greater Fine detail

2. Wider sound stage

There is no direct measurable difference on the audio outputs but when combined with the Beta software build we are working on the Signal related modulation artefacts on the Digital Supply rails are reduced by about x1000 (40dB).

I plan to fully measure "Before and after" on JTC unit when I modify it - and post the results here.

The new Beta software is being "fine tuned" with the aim to reduce PSU modulation artefacts by tuning various internal operations modes. Our aim is that by reducing PSU modulation this will directly result in reduced LIM (Logic Induced Modulation) Jitter Levels on the DAC's Silicon die.

After hearing the change the Mainboard modification have brought - I find it hard to believe that the MPAX will bring the same level of improvement - that's why I said the MPAX will be the "icing on the cake"... But that said, I've not heard the MPAX yet...

John

Hi John,

Sounds like the new upgrade is even better than Sovereign+. I'd be happy to send over my unit when the MPAX is available. If you need another test unit in advance, just let me know.

Kind Regards,
Michael

1. Greater Fine detail

2. Wider sound stage

John:

May I ask whether, in arriving at these conclusions, you are (in addition to the type of music you mentioned recently) also testing it with a range of classical music? If so do you have particular recordings that you prefer?

As a classical music lover I get a bit frustrated by the fact that all the equipment reviewers, and possibly the developers (?) mostly test their stuff with pop/folk/jazz and I believe, rightly or wrongly, that a large orchestra perhaps also with a chorus and vocalists represents a more complex sound that is more difficult to (record and) reproduce well. No doubt some people will be offended by this, but I believe that if some kit reproduces a complex classical sound well, it will automatically do well with pop/folk/jazz, but not necessarily the other way round.

- Richard.

Wow, sounds very promising! I understand this beta will work on all M-DAC's, not only the modified ones?

BTW: Isn't it possible that some artifacts are also transferred via the ground connections (USB cable, signal cables to amplifier, power cable, SPDIF inputs)? Will MPAX somehow fix the possible issue of ground loops in the system?

John:

May I ask whether, in arriving at these conclusions, you are (in addition to the type of music you mentioned recently) also testing it with a range of classical music? If so do you have particular recordings that you prefer?

As a classical music lover I get a bit frustrated by the fact that all the equipment reviewers, and possibly the developers (?) mostly test their stuff with pop/folk/jazz and I believe, rightly or wrongly, that a large orchestra perhaps also with a chorus and vocalists represents a more complex sound that is more difficult to (record and) reproduce well. No doubt some people will be offended by this, but I believe that if some kit reproduces a complex classical sound well, it will automatically do well with pop/folk/jazz, but not necessarily the other way round.

- Richard.

Hi Richard,

The problem with classical music is more often then not the atrocious recording quality - Deutsche Gramophone DDD recordings where just grating - for me if you where to ask for an example of why I dislike "Digital" Deutsche Gramophone DDD recordings are the first to spring to mind (And some PolyGram – not sure if they used the same recording equipment).

I can remember how Deutsche Gramophone DDD with typical “German” engineering based instance argued about the superiority of there all Digital recording process and suggested that ADD or AAD recordings where somehow inferior – while even a cloth eared 70 year old recording engineer should have been able to hear something was clearly wrong.

I have some "Simple" small scale classical recordings which are stunning - but I'm so fed up with clearly overloading Microphones with clear IMD that I've stayed away from classical recordings accept a select few...

There’s no reason that if well recorded Classical should be any different from music such as the Wailin Jennys I mention earlier.

John

I understand this beta will work on all M-DAC's, not only the modified ones?

Yes the Beta will work with all MDAC's however I'm auditioning the sound with a modified MDAC - so the sound quality balance might be different on an unmodified unit.

I can try to measure the difference to PSU modulation of the software versions before I modify JTC unit once it arrives.

Hi John,

Sounds like the new upgrade is even better than Sovereign+. I'd be happy to send over my unit when the MPAX is available. If you need another test unit in advance, just let me know.

Kind Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

They are different, I’ve tried to develop a solution that was easier to implement while still offer a significant improvement (I use this word hesitantly - as one mans "step change" is another’s inaudioable difference).

The issue is that the we are talking about the last 5% / 10% improvement, reaping these improvements stretch any definition of Value For Money…

Still people spend crazy money on cables and other accessories; I can put hand on heart and say that by comparisons these MDAC modifications do bring real improvement – and therefore good VFM!

Lets see what JTC and SQ think if they would have happily paid GBP200 for the modifications…

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back